Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 08:37 AM

22,715 posts, read 36,918,959 times

Advertisements

Wake Tech and Durham Tech are offering 2022 HS grads free tuition - that's a great deal and if you know a grad who isn't sure about going to college for whatever reason, encourage them to go that route.

As far as the renovation thing - most houses on LI are far older than what you're going to find around here (for the most part) and so renovations are a necessity. Real estate transactions up there are a huge pain in the neck too - with our house, both when we bought and when we sold it, it was 3 months from bid to close. And there was NOTHING out of the ordinary on either end, that's just how long it takes. Throw in any issues with financing etc and you're looking at even longer than that. It's much simpler here so people just move - we noticed that as soon as we moved here. Also, on LI, it's all about the school district so people generally buy a house in the school district they want to live in and stay there. Around here, with county schools, people are much less married to staying in their neighborhood. People also tend to stay in their houses till they are taken out feet first on LI, and I notice much less of that here. I have many neighbors that sold while their youngest was a junior or senior in HS. Unheard of up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 08:59 AM

6,403 posts, read 5,531,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wake Tech and Durham Tech are offering 2022 HS grads free tuition - that's a great deal and if you know a grad who isn't sure about going to college for whatever reason, encourage them to go that route.

As far as the renovation thing - most houses on LI are far older than what you're going to find around here (for the most part) and so renovations are a necessity. Real estate transactions up there are a huge pain in the neck too - with our house, both when we bought and when we sold it, it was 3 months from bid to close. And there was NOTHING out of the ordinary on either end, that's just how long it takes. Throw in any issues with financing etc and you're looking at even longer than that. It's much simpler here so people just move - we noticed that as soon as we moved here. Also, on LI, it's all about the school district so people generally buy a house in the school district they want to live in and stay there. Around here, with county schools, people are much less married to staying in their neighborhood. People also tend to stay in their houses till they are taken out feet first on LI, and I notice much less of that here. I have many neighbors that sold while their youngest was a junior or senior in HS. Unheard of up there.
Yep this about summarizes what he talked about and makes complete sense. As the Triangle continues to get built out I suspect we'll see similar pattern in the "blue chip" areas. It seems to already be commonplace in Chapel Hill, ITB, and North Hills (the latter though seeming to be more apt to teardown and re-build). Even the "central band" of Cary between Cary Pkwy and 55 (Preston, McArthur Park, Devereaux etc) where most of the housing stock is in that 20-30 year age range; I suspect you'll see more big-time renovations in the near future.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:16 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,274,867 times
GenX wasn't taught to take out interest-only mortgages they couldn't afford. And yes, college was much cheaper then - be it State U or private.

Millenials weren't forced to overpay for private college or even full-freight State U to achieve degrees that wouldn't increase their pay over a HS grad enough to pay off a student loan within 10 years.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:31 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,947,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
We remember when great credit got you 6.9% on house.
My first house in 1984 had an adjustable at 16%!

Old 04-18-2022, 08:27 AM

13,726 posts, read 12,508,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
GenX wasn't taught to take out interest-only mortgages they couldn't afford. And yes, college was much cheaper then - be it State U or private.

Millenials weren't forced to overpay for private college or even full-freight State U to achieve degrees that wouldn't increase their pay over a HS grad enough to pay off a student loan within 10 years.
As much as anything, I think that any reluctance or delay millenials had to enter the housing market (which I'd argue is much exaggerated in the first place) was a function of marrying later, and witnessing the aftermath of the recession firsthand both in our own neighborhoods and with our own parents, and in the job market we left college into for those of us squarely in the middle of it.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:42 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,987,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
As much as anything, I think that any reluctance or delay millenials had to enter the housing market (which I'd argue is much exaggerated in the first place) was a function of marrying later, and witnessing the aftermath of the recession firsthand both in our own neighborhoods and with our own parents, and in the job market we left college into for those of us squarely in the middle of it.
1. Enduring the recession right when they entered the labour force --- there is UNQUESTIONABLY an earnings loss from kids graduating in 08-13 vs 19-22 at the arguable peak in the market

2. The logic used to be 'get a degree any degree' but that changed in 2008 but it was boomers and x did so a bit of a rug pull

3. We in another suburban migration wave which certainly wasnt the case or seen as desirable until covid happened

4. Income flight from high col and competing with corporate and mom and pop investors with their demand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary