Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 12:39 PM

399 posts, read 808,947 times

Advertisements

I don’t think it matters much to someone who has an existing house. It hurts the 1st time buyer who’s already trying to get a down payment together and beat out all the competition with cash buyers.

Lots of people have 200-500k equity in their houses or nearly paid off. We remember when great credit got you 6.9% on house.

It’s a sellers market so people buying or building another house know what they’re getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 12:56 PM

6,427 posts, read 5,577,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I don’t think it matters much to someone who has an existing house. It hurts the 1st time buyer who’s already trying to get a down payment together and beat out all the competition with cash buyers.

Lots of people have 200-500k equity in their houses or nearly paid off. We remember when great credit got you 6.9% on house.

It’s a sellers market so people buying or building another house know what they’re getting into.
Correct. First time buyers are getting the shaft in this market and it is personally heartbreaking to see on basically daily basis

There are now and for the foreseeable future will continue to be far less "Well gee I just feel like I want something different" local moves here and around the country....but homeowners who really needs to relocate and/or have a need for more space/more accessible/whatever other set of desired different criteria will still have opportunities and can make out well selling and buying.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:13 PM

18,566 posts, read 15,996,796 times
Even downsizing and staying in the area can cost as much or more than the place being sold, if one is moving on to something new or at least built within the previous 5 years. It used to automatically be a smaller price, which was one advantage of downsizing, but that doesn't hold true.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,283,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOL so true. My sister bought her first house in 1985 and I think her interest rate was like 15%. Ours was 7.something on our first house and we were the envy of our friends who were all paying like 9%.
My first condo purchase in '88 was 9%, and that was on a special program for first time homebuyers. I felt lucky to get that. Then again, my purchase price was only $57,500. It didn't make that much difference.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:08 AM

67 posts, read 50,514 times
They are saying that because of this very reason, inventory will continue to be tight as 2.5% mortgage holders won't want to sell their house. You will probably see home additions increase for those that want more space, but don't want to sell.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:18 AM

43,549 posts, read 77,623,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post
They are saying that because of this very reason, inventory will continue to be tight as 2.5% mortgage holders won't want to sell their house. You will probably see home additions increase for those that want more space, but don't want to sell.
Renovations and additions seem like a good alternative.
Unfortunately, good contractors are booked months in advance and materials and labor costs predictability, and availability continue to be problematic.
It is just tough all around.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:45 AM

4,309 posts, read 4,766,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Even downsizing and staying in the area can cost as much or more than the place being sold, if one is moving on to something new or at least built within the previous 5 years.
Yes and this is a disruptive factor for many of us who were planning to downsize but remain in the area. The alternative is to look at the outer areas of the Triangle (Creedmoor, Siler City, Louisburg, Sanford, Lillington, Siler City etc) but then the concern changes from price to convenience of healthcare and entertainment, the availability of gigabit Internet service, etc. It's a conundrum.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:49 AM

6,427 posts, read 5,577,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post
One of the home inspectors I work with moved here from the NYC metro area about a decade ago as a Kitchen and Bath reno contractor. He said that was un unsustainable business model in the Triangle to scale compared to Long Island/NYC because home additions/major renovations are more the norm up there; where as in the Triangle market people simply "move up" more often (the exact numbers he cites is that in the NYC metro area; the average homeowner does a major kitchen/bath renovation once every 7 years; in the Triangle the average is 19 years; while those ranges are flipped in the sell/buy timeframes)..and that's part of what drove him to the Home Inspection market instead.

I do think we'll be "catching up" here with regards to home renovations/additions becoming more commonplace as "moving up" becomes less common.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:29 AM

781 posts, read 749,008 times
Yep, I'm living in a place with a 30 year at 3%, the refi only cost me $600 ish. I am under contract to build new, debating renting my place out if I can't sell at the price I want. I already have a good property manager that I trust.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:33 PM

13,760 posts, read 12,586,729 times
People buy houses, not mortgages. Rate matters only so far as it limits affordability. I don't plan to move, but trying to game the mortgage rate seems silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary