Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 01:28 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately got my first speeding ticket going 40 during a school zone time when normally it is 35 speed limit but was 25 since it was during school hours which I didn't even a school was nearby.

Officer said he was going to reduce it to 30 in a 25 mph zone and not denote it was a school zone. The front of the ticket still says speed was "40 mph", but the back of the ticket where it states what I'm charged with says "Speed of 30 mph in a 25 mph zone". He said something about it won't show up in my insurance, and I could go to court or just pay the fine.

The fine is $10 but other costs indicate $191 (is this court fee??) so total was $201.

This is where I'm confused with the process and wanted to make sure I took the best step.

1) Should I show up on my court date? Do I have to show up at 7:30am as indicated on the ticket or can I show up later? What do I plea and say? Do I have a chance of totally removing it and not paying anything?

2) Or do I just plea guilty and pay the total $201 and avoid having to go to court? And assume it won't affect my insurance as he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 02:22 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
He said something about it won't show up in my insurance, and I could go to court or just pay the fine.
If you want to use a lawyer, you will soon get many solicitations in your mailbox.

You may be able to talk with an Asst DA on your court date and get it reduced further - or maybe not.

I doubt it will not show up on your record. From Page 18 of the following, it looks like it may be 2 points (vs 3 for speeding in a school zone).
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id...r-handbook.pdf

Old 04-21-2022, 02:26 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
My advice is never believe what a cop tells you at the scene. The amount of wrong ish they tell people at accident scenes has led to many deep cleansing breaths by claim adjusters.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:30 PM

740 posts, read 472,187 times
https://scharfflawfirm.com/prayer-fo...orth-carolina/

do a little research to see if nc prayer for judgement is best for you (with only 5 over limit, might not be).
best of luck.

edit: forgot to add that especially if you have a previously clean record, you can hire an attorney (the going rate for this was 250 before covid, probably gone up since everything else has...) and possibly get it dismissed altogether.

Last edited by herringbone; 04-21-2022 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-21-2022, 03:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post

do a little research to see if nc prayer for judgement is best for you (with only 5 over limit, might not be).
best of luck.

edit: forgot to add that especially if you have a previously clean record, you can hire an attorney (the going rate for this was 250 before covid, probably gone up since everything else has...) and possibly get it dismissed altogether.
The entire system is such a scam. I got a speeding ticket similar to OP many years ago. I called the court and asked if I could have the ticket thrown out in exchange for community service or taking a defensive driver course. They said that I had to go through an attorney to get that type of thing. I asked why and the lady said that they only offer those types of deals when the person has an attorney. I'm convinced that a big portion of our legal system is just a jobs program for attorneys.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:00 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
Long time ago I got a speeding ticket for going much more over the speed limit. I did hire an attorney, who used PJC and got it reduced to 9 over, with no affect on my insurance.

This time since it was only 5 over the speed limit and taking the cop's word that it won't affect my insurance, I didn't think I needed to spend another extra $300+ on an attorney.

I thought I could either go to court and get it removed (however that may be) or just pay the fees and avoid showing up in court. I though either option wouldn't affect my insurance but seems that may not be the case.

Hence why I'm seeing if anyone else has been in a similar situation (going 5 over the limit), and has gone to court themselves to get it removed/reduced/whatever and how that works.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:56 PM

307 posts, read 296,448 times
hope you have a big mailbox

pay the officer's xmas bonus and move on. That's to tell you if you fight it, you'll get screwed worse. court is a business and its corrupt af

Try getting 3 tickets in a month. I see a lot of voting for sherrif whatever signs around right now, so I'm sure its part of a campaign strategy.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:31 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Long time ago I got a speeding ticket for going much more over the speed limit. I did hire an attorney, who used PJC and got it reduced to 9 over, with no affect on my insurance.

This time since it was only 5 over the speed limit and taking the cop's word that it won't affect my insurance, I didn't think I needed to spend another extra $300+ on an attorney.

I thought I could either go to court and get it removed (however that may be) or just pay the fees and avoid showing up in court. I though either option wouldn't affect my insurance but seems that may not be the case.

Hence why I'm seeing if anyone else has been in a similar situation (going 5 over the limit), and has gone to court themselves to get it removed/reduced/whatever and how that works.
I think the lawyers only charge the same cost that the ticket would have been for you, or so thats how I remembered it.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:51 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post

best of luck.

They would be lucky to get a PJC in Wake County. I got a speeding ticket in April 2020, my first in 15 years. I asked for PJC, in Wake County, still had to pay everything, and my insurance still considers that ticket when discussing rates...so, I didn't get it. The judge told me that the DMV would let me know if I got it or not, as if she had nothing to do with it...so yeah. She could have just said 'No', to my face. She's a judge. That's her job.

Also, OP, you're eligible if you're from the state, you weren't driving with a CDL, didn't pass a school bus illegally, and weren't over 25mph, but...you only get 3 in a certain time frame. If you're a habitual speeder, (not saying you are), it might not be the best bet.

It's worth a shot, but doesn't mean you'll get it even when you ask for it.

Forgot to add, OP: Mine was reduced to 1mph, and I still had to pay the whole dang thing, it still shows on my record for the insurance company to rub their hands over, and as I said above, it was the first in 15 years.

Here's how it works:

You go to the court house. You wait your turn. There's 2 prosecutors there. They look at your ticket. They say, 'We will reduce this to 1 mph over. The fine is (exactly the same)."

You then wait to speak to the judge. Which, you don't really get to speak to her, that's what the prosecutors were there for. She basically (mine was a 'she'), looks at your paperwork, allows you to ask questions, (in which I asked for PJC), and basically tells you that you have X number of days to pay the ticket. "Next!"

Old 04-21-2022, 08:00 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think the lawyers only charge the same cost that the ticket would have been for you, or so thats how I remembered it.
Sometimes it is a little bit more but it’s definitely in that ballpark for typical speeding and traffic violations based on my past experience. (Though it’s been probably 10 or more years since I got a speeding ticket)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary