Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM

30 posts, read 77,287 times

Advertisements

We are moving down from CT and we would like to make an offer on a home. Our agent says we need a preapproval. We're wondering if anyone can recommend a creative Mortgage Broker. We will be moving down w/out jobs but with a lot of capital from the sale of our house. Any ideas of how to get a mortgage without jobs but w/ $ and credit scores in the 800 range...without paying 9% interest because we are "high risk"? Any help would be great...thanks!!

Last edited by Family 5; 05-22-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
I was very surprised but we just got a no doc/paperless mortgage on our new home. I was very surprised that they would do this now. My husband and I are employed but they said based on our excellent credit score they did not need any verification. The whole thing was processed and we received pre-approval in less than 2 days. Done. I was shocked. The rate was great too. A little over 5.5%.

Shop around. Not everyone will do it. The lender in my real estate office won't do paperless anymore so we decided to go with the other lender to make it easier on ourselves. We didn't even ask. They told us we qualified for paperless VIP service.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM

49 posts, read 174,384 times
Wow - you're lucky! We were in the same situation (both have credit rating over 800 and we'll be putting over 50% down). Everyone we talked to wouldn't give us pre-approval without considering us "high risk". Luckily, it only took one of us 2 months to get a permanent job, and we're currently under contract.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
I was very surprised but we just got a no doc/paperless mortgage on our new home. I was very surprised that they would do this now. My husband and I are employed but they said based on our excellent credit score they did not need any verification. The whole thing was processed and we received pre-approval in less than 2 days. Done. I was shocked. The rate was great too. A little over 5.5%.

Shop around. Not everyone will do it. The lender in my real estate office won't do paperless anymore so we decided to go with the other lender to make it easier on ourselves. We didn't even ask. They told us we qualified for paperless VIP service.
Your deal sounds like what we would call a SISA (stated income & stated assets). These require employment, but income and assets are not verified. It is going to be much more difficult to obtain financing if there is no employment and you won't get the going rate like the "5.5%".

Old 05-24-2008, 12:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
As Tim said, these are 2 totaly different situations.

Having a job but not verifying income or assets with 720+ score and 10%+ down is still very possible. If Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac give you an approval based on their underwriting system with "reduced documentation" then you are fine. It is called different things by every lender (paperless, fast & easy, fast trak, home quick, super simple, express, shortcut, etc) but essentially they are the same thing..

You get A quality financing with reduced paperwork because you have the credit + down payment to reduce the income/employment verification.

A loan with no job is much harder and riskier so it requires a premium. In your case, you had a job but did not verify the income (sometimes they just call to verify the employment, sometimes nothing). In this case, the buyer does not have a job and putting down "employment" in NC and hoping the lender doed not verify it is FRAUD.

Low documentation loans are supposed to be a way to reduce paperwork and reward borrowers with strong credit, down payments, etc. Unfortunately it became an invitation to fraud by people just filling in bogus employment, exagerated income or imaginary assets. This was and is mortgage fraud and while it got by the underwriters before as "creative" will now be busted (as it should be).

For a "no doc or no income/no asset/no employment" loan the rate will be much higher.
There are some alternatives you can consider such as buying the home before you quit the current jobs, getting a verifiable offer of employment and trying to use that or crazy as it might seem.... renting for 3-6 months.

I know people are eager to but homes and hate having to pack twice, but maybe get a POD and leave everything but the essentials in storage. It will give you more time to look for homes and get settled into work and the area before you have to deal with a new home and mortgage payments as well.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:03 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
I've been working with a broker and he's been great. We went in with a complicated situation (renting our current home vs. selling it vs. HELOC, etc.) and he was very patient with us. Always responsive and prompt. PM me if you want his info.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:00 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
If you put over 20% down, have a 720+ credit score, and your loan amount is less than 417k, then the Automated Underwriting System (AUS) will more than likely NOT ask for income verification.

The system WILL ask to verify your job even if you're self employed but will not ask to show proof of income.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 44,994 times
Hello Family,

Most people will purchase the home as a 2nd home until they move down here while retaining their current home and Job. Of course you would need to qualify for both homes. You would save a lot of money and as long as the underwriter and everyone is clear with your intentions then it should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary