Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 07:16 PM

16 posts, read 13,301 times

Advertisements

Keen on wake county schools but budget does not allow us to find a home in this area. Which other areas are worth looking into with good middle schools/high schools and rates under 400k for a 3 bedroom. Is this possible? Also wondering if we should buy now or wait, will prices be going down in the next year or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 08:56 PM

243 posts, read 242,774 times
Wake County shuffles up the school assignments frequently so it's not really worth trying to secure housing in a "good" school assignment area. Lots of the good schools are capped and you'll end up in the overflow schools.

<400K is more like <350k since you'll be overbidding by at least 50k on most homes in the more desirable areas in Raleigh/Cary/Holly Springs/Fuquay. Not too many homes in the area in that price range. Prices won't be coming down any time soon due to low supply and high demand (not changing anytime soon).

Old 05-04-2022, 10:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,189,580 times
I don’t really see home prices going down in the next year, but hopefully the frenzied bidding over asking price activity will wane as interest rates increase.

Maybe look at townhomes. You could probably find something in North Raleigh zoned for Sanderson or Leesville.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:41 AM

22,687 posts, read 36,870,810 times
You might find something on the outer edges of Wake County. If not I would probably look into Hillsborough if your commute allows.

How much can prices possibly go down? Probably not enough to fit your budget unfortunately.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:22 PM

71 posts, read 53,080 times
Thinking you may try looking at Homestead Park in Apex or some of the other older subdivisions in Apex or Holly Springs but it won’t be easy as you will have too many competitive bids….

Old 05-06-2022, 08:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
Maybe Zebulon? Or Wendell? The horse has done left the barn on $400k houses in Raleigh. I was just looking at home prices today. It’s just astonishing how much they have gone up. I’m seeing houses that were $400k two years ago going for $600k now. Houses that were $350k going for $450k now. Just nuts.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:52 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,347,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
Wake County shuffles up the school assignments frequently so it's not really worth trying to secure housing in a "good" school assignment area. Lots of the good schools are capped and you'll end up in the overflow schools.

<400K is more like <350k since you'll be overbidding by at least 50k on most homes in the more desirable areas in Raleigh/Cary/Holly Springs/Fuquay. Not too many homes in the area in that price range. Prices won't be coming down any time soon due to low supply and high demand (not changing anytime soon).
This is the second time I have read this from you and it is not true. I have lived in the same house for 9 years and have been zoned for "good schools" in Cary that entire time and never been reassigned. OP, if you look for a house in an area that is built out, you will find stable school assignments. High growth areas with lots of new home mean new schools and new school assignments. Your price range might be challenging in this market, talk to a real estate agent.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:29 PM

22,687 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
This is the second time I have read this from you and it is not true. I have lived in the same house for 9 years and have been zoned for "good schools" in Cary that entire time and never been reassigned. OP, if you look for a house in an area that is built out, you will find stable school assignments. High growth areas with lots of new home mean new schools and new school assignments. Your price range might be challenging in this market, talk to a real estate agent.
Both parties have the potential to be wrong. I would say the folks who live in the subdivisions along highway 55 and High House who were recently reassigned from their 30 year old houses woukd beg to differ. So would people in MacArthur Park.

On the flip side constant reassignments are not a thing for 95% of people here.

Old 05-07-2022, 02:47 PM

1,339 posts, read 729,285 times
I'm still occasionally seeing modest 3 bedrooms under 400k come up in Wake Forest. The nice thing about that area is school assignments tend to be relatively stable.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
Follow through the next time you see one come up and see what it sells for. Seems like a lot of folks are paying way over the asking price right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary