Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 04:29 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Probably a safe bet that it will remain the only one in the state...
+1

And this is nitpicking, but the road under construction is NC 540 not I-540. I-540 around north Wake could not be tolled after-the-fact per federal regulation. The remainder of 540 is built by the Turnpike Authority as a toll road, and NCDOT calls it a state highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 06:13 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Are there any reports available indicating actual accomplishments in a granular measurement (maybe centimeters per year)? This has been going on for decades, I'm starting to think maybe the lower segments are more or less a fairy tale.

At the going rate it will be 2080 before the loop is complete, and by then climate change and covid mutations will have reduced the population to the point where it won't matter.
I have to join the chorus of dissenters here about your impatience for the completion of 540. Work on the extension started in 2019 and is supposed to be finished in the next year or so. It's covering more than 8 miles and crossing several major intersections. The progress is doing pretty well, nearly 60% already in the latest construction progress update from the NCDOT.

Compare this with some other projects such as the East End Connector/I-885 in Durham County, which has taken more than seven years to complete just 4 miles of interstate. It began work in February 2015 and has yet to open, even though signs have now been unveiled for it on I-40 and the Durham Freeway. Supposedly it'll open this month, but there's been a lot of supposed things that have happened for this project for nearly a decade.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/east-...s/default.aspx

Old 06-07-2022, 06:47 AM

319 posts, read 255,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
It's not like the Gov just prints up a few extra billion dollars if they need it.
The Fed:"Hold my beer..."

Old 06-07-2022, 09:00 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
I have to join the chorus of dissenters here about your impatience for the completion of 540. Work on the extension started in 2019 and is supposed to be finished in the next year or so. It's covering more than 8 miles and crossing several major intersections. The progress is doing pretty well, nearly 60% already in the latest construction progress update from the NCDOT.

Compare this with some other projects such as the East End Connector/I-885 in Durham County, which has taken more than seven years to complete just 4 miles of interstate. It began work in February 2015 and has yet to open, even though signs have now been unveiled for it on I-40 and the Durham Freeway. Supposedly it'll open this month, but there's been a lot of supposed things that have happened for this project for nearly a decade.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/east-...s/default.aspx

It is going to be phased, so a part should open next year, but other sections will follow over the next few years.

At yeah the EEC is a fiasco.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:24 AM

66 posts, read 49,248 times
Must be Yankees (and other folks that come from areas where tolls are an accepted way of living) that are so looking forward to pay tolls. Those of us from NC aren't happy about tolls forever, and those of us on the southside of Raleigh aren't happy about having to pay to drive on a nice highway when our brethren on the north side got I-540 for free.

The least they could do if they wanted it faster is to have a "sunset" clause on the tolls so that we get the road sooner and those that are willing to pay to drive it, but stop charging tolls the same date as was the projected completion date when it was just state funds used to build it, not private. That would have been a win-win and fair for all parties.

At least it's electronic and no one's getting paid $100K/yr to sit in a booth and collect tolls while watching videos all day.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:38 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post
Must be Yankees (and other folks that come from areas where tolls are an accepted way of living) that are so looking forward to pay tolls. Those of us from NC aren't happy about tolls forever, and those of us on the southside of Raleigh aren't happy about having to pay to drive on a nice highway when our brethren on the north side got I-540 for free.

The least they could do if they wanted it faster is to have a "sunset" clause on the tolls so that we get the road sooner and those that are willing to pay to drive it, but stop charging tolls the same date as was the projected completion date when it was just state funds used to build it, not private. That would have been a win-win and fair for all parties.

At least it's electronic and no one's getting paid $100K/yr to sit in a booth and collect tolls while watching videos all day.
You're paying for it in some way whether in the form of taxes or tolls. Just because the road is built doesn't mean there won't be additional funds needed for future maintenance or expansion etc.... IMO, it makes sense that those who utilize a road should be more responsible for the funding of that road vs those of us who live elsewhere and don't.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:51 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
The law already says that the tolls must be removed when the debt has been paid off. It's hard to set a firm date though because they've refinanced stuff and are folding the new extensions into the debt service for the previously opened section. And it's possible there may be future debt incurred for expansions or infill interchanges or major maintenance projects.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:23 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
You're paying for it in some way whether in the form of taxes or tolls. Just because the road is built doesn't mean there won't be additional funds needed for future maintenance or expansion etc.... IMO, it makes sense that those who utilize a road should be more responsible for the funding of that road vs those of us who live elsewhere and don't.
I don’t love the tolls, but it’s not changing at this point. Some of us fought it 20 years ago, when they literally stole a few miles and maybe $50 million worth of road between 54 and 55 that had already been built with tax money, then folded it into the toll project. Nothing changed then, and this gets us the roads done faster than otherwise, which is a good thing.

Now, I’ll also have an argument that they could have done some things less expensively. I mean who came up with the idea of painting all the concrete, which of course didn’t adhere and had to be removed years later, and some re-coated with high performance coatings. Could have just left it alone to begin with. Same goes for the toll gates themselves. Why not just use metal truss supports instead of building them out of concrete? The gantry overhead is a metal truss so it would blend right in. Then there’s the idiocy of their curve radiuses for most ramps, but they claim that was to save money. I will say that they do keep it maintained better than most similar roads around there though.

Old 06-07-2022, 01:16 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post
Speak for yourself. North Carolinian here, born and raised. I also currently live south of Raleigh. I'm happy to pay the tolls to not have to sit in traffic on 40 and get home to my family at a sane hour every day. As others have mentioned, the tolls are obligated to disappear in the future once all debts are paid.

You get what you pay for and I'd argue NC 540 is superior to the northern arc as well in terms of maintenance/construction.

Old 06-07-2022, 01:39 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
And it's possible there may be future debt incurred for expansions or infill interchanges or major maintenance projects.
On occasion, improvements have been mentioned for I-540 between I-40 and US 1 that would add a lane, possibly HOV or Express. Tolls would then come into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary