Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 10:44 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I often see a lot of people parked at Southpoint, but usually when I go in (admittedly at off-peak hours) a lot of the stores have no customers.

The last few times I went to Southpoint with the intention of buying shoes or clothes, I left without buying anything. The selection of women's clothes and shoes available there just don't appeal to me at all. I don't have luxury taste, either; I usually just want good quality basics. Not weird cuts and crappy fabrics that pill the first time you wash them. I used to be able to find decent clothes at malls, but I imagine most of the clothing for sale at the mall nowadays winds up in a landfill without ever being worn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've gotten the impression many of the stores at Southpoint - obviously not all of them, but many of them - don't do much business. I hope I'm wrong.
I hate visiting malls, so take this with a huge grain of salt. When I visit Southpoint, I spend most of my time in the outdoor stores and rarely go inside the mall itself. Maybe I'm an outlier, though. When I visit Crabtree, there isn't much outside the mall itself to attract me, so I end up going inside the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 07:54 AM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
"Shopcations" ... I hadn't heard the term, but I think it's a good one. I suspect that a lot of the designer goods around here were purchased during such shopcations. Seems more special to buy a designer bag when traveling to NYC or Paris or some other shopping destination rather than at Crabtree Valley Mall.
I lived in walking distance of a very high end shopping center in So FL years ago—Tiffany and LV type of place. I agree with the Shopcation aspect. The whole area caters to the wealthy and their vacations. High end restaurants everywhere. Bentleys and Rolls Royces are daily sights, in plural. There’s no city district here that compares.

Meanwhile, Cary just got a Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn. “Just” as in it took until 2022.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:14 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I remember attending my boss's Christmas party on Long Island, and all the women were comparing the diamond tennis bracelets they had gotten as gifts. Haven't lived in Raleigh for 8 years; we are moving back to the area. I sincerely hope that things have remained the same in that respect.
I wonder how many of those tennis bracelets are like mine - cubic zirconia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I often see a lot of people parked at Southpoint, but usually when I go in (admittedly at off-peak hours) a lot of the stores have no customers.
You're not wrong. We're at SP maybe once a week to go to the AMC movie theater. The crowded parking lots are for the restaurants. (And OCCASIONALLY the movie theater.)

But TJMaxx is ALWAYS crowded! All locations.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:55 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Meanwhile, Cary just got a Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn. “Just” as in it took until 2022.
And they aren't really new locations...they essentially just moved from Crabtree. Same with Arhaus.

Old 09-18-2022, 12:28 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
And they aren't really new locations...they essentially just moved from Crabtree. Same with Arhaus.
Oh wow. I didn’t know they closed those stores there. I remember the location of Arhaus, but not the others.

So now the east side of Raleigh has to travel to Cary or Durham for Williams Sonoma. Yikes. Glad I’m in Cary :/

Old 09-18-2022, 03:21 PM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You're not wrong. We're at SP maybe once a week to go to the AMC movie theater. The crowded parking lots are for the restaurants. (And OCCASIONALLY the movie theater.)
That's what I've suspected. We order takeout from The Cheesecake Factory sometimes, and the parking lot behind the outdoor restaurant area is a madhouse around dinner time.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:57 PM

222 posts, read 218,551 times
Since when is Dillard's high end?

Old 09-19-2022, 06:43 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Since when is Dillard's high end?

Anything that isn't Walmart or Target is high end.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:07 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Techies, doctors, and bureaucrats don't like excessive displays of wealth. Silicon Valley is noticeably short on luxury shopping despite its incredible wealth - whereas blingy spots like Aspen and Orange County had all those brands long ago.

Similarly sized Charlotte and Nashville have banking and show biz, respectively, to prop up their luxury retail offerings.
Santana Row and Westfield Valley would like a word.

And are Tesla's still a "status symbol"?

Was in SJ back in April. Top Golf's parking lot in San Jose was 100% Teslas. My Employer (again, in SJ) doesn't allow you to park on campus unless you drive an EV (ICE must park away from the office).

SV is pretty blingy (IMHO). My wife's best friend (massage therapist to NFL players) lives in Morgan Hill and drives a $108K AMG E 63 S and hangs out on a yacht most weekends with some tech bros she's friends with. Brings the hubby (works in Medical Sales) and au pair too LOL.

I tend to agree with others who have said it's a cultural thing. Old money (here) vs new money (there) tend to spend differently. Not to mention, sear sucker, a polo and khakis is putting on the ritz here (thinking the saintly princes of the south who party on the infield at Churchill Downs if you're trying to envision what I am talking about)....where as its a joke costume in my repertoire

Old 09-21-2022, 08:35 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Santana Row and Westfield Valley would like a word.

And are Tesla's still a "status symbol"?

Was in SJ back in April. Top Golf's parking lot in San Jose was 100% Teslas. My Employer (again, in SJ) doesn't allow you to park on campus unless you drive an EV (ICE must park away from the office).

SV is pretty blingy (IMHO). My wife's best friend (massage therapist to NFL players) lives in Morgan Hill and drives a $108K AMG E 63 S and hangs out on a yacht most weekends with some tech bros she's friends with. Brings the hubby (works in Medical Sales) and au pair too LOL.

I tend to agree with others who have said it's a cultural thing. Old money (here) vs new money (there) tend to spend differently. Not to mention, sear sucker, a polo and khakis is putting on the ritz here (thinking the saintly princes of the south who party on the infield at Churchill Downs if you're trying to envision what I am talking about)....where as its a joke costume in my repertoire
Is this considered an "old money" area by many?

While I'm not often a fan of sweeping generalizations....I feel like with the exception of ITB Raleigh and a few enclaves in Durham and CH....most of the wealthy/high-income people in the Triangle would fall into that "new money" category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary