Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 11:36 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Is this considered an "old money" area by many?

While I'm not often a fan of sweeping generalizations....I feel like with the exception of ITB Raleigh and a few enclaves in Durham and CH....most of the wealthy/high-income people in the Triangle would fall into that "new money" category.
I wouldn't consider it "old money" by any stretch but prevailing fashion trends locally somewhat reflect what I'd expect James Bottomtooth IV and Needham Finley Broughton III to wear.

Lots of places/industries have their own status symbols even if you don't think of it that way. IE, the Tech executive in his Patagonia vest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 12:21 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Is this considered an "old money" area by many?

While I'm not often a fan of sweeping generalizations....I feel like with the exception of ITB Raleigh and a few enclaves in Durham and CH....most of the wealthy/high-income people in the Triangle would fall into that "new money" category.
Perhaps not.

The richest families I know, through friends, here are all tied to Furniture from the Triad or, 5th generation lawyers from Western NC, and, uhh-hmmm, descendants of the State's free labor past.

I would call none of that new money.

Yes, there is certainly new money here; techies, doctors etc etc etc. But I delineate between "rich" and "FU Money Wealthy". Football players are rich. Owners are wealthy.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I wouldn't consider it "old money" by any stretch but prevailing fashion trends locally somewhat reflect what I'd expect James Bottomtooth IV and Needham Finley Broughton III to wear.

Lots of places/industries have their own status symbols even if you don't think of it that way. IE, the Tech executive in his Patagonia vest.
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Awesome reference.

I also wonder if the "Libertarian Musk-stans techie bros" jump of their go to vest with the latest moves by Patagonia's owner.

Last edited by GVoR; 09-21-2022 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2022, 01:36 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Awesome reference.

I also wonder if the "Libertarian Musk-stans techie bros" jump of their go to vest with the latest moves by Patagonia's owner.
Ooohh...never thought of that...Maybe they'll switch to Vineyard vines, I don't see Shep and Ian doing anything but cashing out when they decide they're done.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Ooohh...never thought of that...Maybe they'll switch to Vineyard vines, I don't see Shep and Ian doing anything but cashing out when they decide they're done.
LOL

I used to build a CDP for VV. The markups on their clothes are flat out friggin amazing. And I say that as the son of a man who worked in the shoe industry for 40 years, so I am quite familiar with the factory to retail process.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:11 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:

Was wondering when he would get brought into the conversation! haha

Old 09-22-2022, 07:37 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,424 times
Back for a visit to this forum, which I kind of miss as my now local forum lacks the sense of community and camaraderie of this one.

Quote:
Raleigh (much of the South, really) has a different style/materialism I've noticed. In Raleigh for a guy its a Peter Millar quarter zip over a Southern Tide polo and a Rolex and Barbour jacket if it's chilly.
I remember this from my time there, and it represents a certain kind of hell that I got over in the 80s when the Yuppie thing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I lived in walking distance of a very high end shopping center in So FL years ago—Tiffany and LV type of place. I agree with the Shopcation aspect. The whole area caters to the wealthy and their vacations. High end restaurants everywhere. Bentleys and Rolls Royces are daily sights, in plural. There’s no city district here that compares.
Sounds a bit like an area a click or two away from where we are, it’s like the TX version of Rodeo Drive, with them, Gucci, a Tommy Bahamas bar, and a Lambo dealer on the strip, which is 1/4 mile long, if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But TJMaxx is ALWAYS crowded! All locations.
The TJ Maxxs here suck! The ones in the Triangle were bigger and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Old money (here) vs new money (there) tend to spend differently. Not to mention, sear sucker, a polo and khakis is putting on the ritz here (thinking the saintly princes of the south who party on the infield at Churchill Downs if you're trying to envision what I am talking about)....where as its a joke costume in my repertoire
Agree, and here there is a lot of both monies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary