Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:16 AM

165 posts, read 516,481 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We live in Tampa and are very interested in the Raleigh area for various reasons. However, one thing that we don't like is hearing about the school redistricting and the push for all-year round schooling. Are there nice counties near Raleigh where we can be close, but not have to deal with that schooling situation?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times
Yep!
Johnston County! (Clayton) You wont get any of that. Plus, they have traditional school years (summers off). I moved here from Wake County and IMO, the schools are better.

Houses are cheaper, taxes are cheaper, its a great town.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy View Post
Hi,

We live in Tampa and are very interested in the Raleigh area for various reasons. However, one thing that we don't like is hearing about the school redistricting and the push for all-year round schooling. Are there nice counties near Raleigh where we can be close, but not have to deal with that schooling situation?

Thanks.
Every person has a traditional calendar option school that you can apply for when the magnet school applications come out - it just might not be one you prefer. Truly the year round school is not a bad thing, my kids and I like it. My concern was not being in our own town. So you might not want to write-off Wake county altogether. Wake county is the only county with the year-round and redistricting mess.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 AM

183 posts, read 671,740 times
I'm not sure of the age of your children, but as the above poster mentioned, Clayton elementary schools are really good. Check them out at greatschools.net. My wife and I were going to move out of the Clayton area until we started researching the schools, and discovered that Clayton has a couple of the best elementary schools in the state...now we're just going to upgrade to a larger house and stay in town!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
Depends where you need to be, geographically, for work and other activities. Johnston county will accomplish that goal, but it also accomplishes the goal of putting you at a horrible commute from RTP. Chapel Hill accomplishes the goal, but it also accomplishes a terrible drive in to downtown Raleigh.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 AM

183 posts, read 671,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Depends where you need to be, geographically, for work and other activities. Johnston county will accomplish that goal, but it also accomplishes the goal of putting you at a horrible commute from RTP. Chapel Hill accomplishes the goal, but it also accomplishes a terrible drive in to downtown Raleigh.
Very good point here...I'm not sure of Tampa's layout but this area is pretty spread out. Depending on where your job is, this is something to consider. Now, eventually, I-540 is supposed to swing around closer to Clayton, so the RTP commute wouldn't be QUITE as bad, but you would still be talking about a 40-45 minute commute (I'm guessing).

Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,441 times
If you will be working downtown, there are some downtown neighborhoods that have not been as affected by redistricting, since they have long since been "built out". However, as the outer edges of the county continue to change in population dramatically, there will always be shifting, as new schools are open, so noone is immune.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
As others have said, there are options in Wake County (were Raleigh is located) that will avoid redistricting and year-round. And of course there are private schools, too.

Durham and Chapel Hill have some very highly rated high schools. These have the advantage of being much closer to the jobs at RTP, if that is a concern.

Clayton is very far from RTP. If you are working in downtown Raleigh, it is a decent option, but otherwise is just too far to stay sane. But be aware that Johnson County has been growing very fast and the problems Wake is having today may be the problems of Johnson tomorrow. And I'd look into the quality of the schools, especially the high schools.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times
I drive from Clayton to RTP every day. Its really not that bad (40-45 minute commute). I moved to Clayton from Raleigh where I had a 20-25 minute commute. The way I looked at it was, an additional 20 minutes to my commute for a bigger house, better school and cheaper taxes. That was my deciding factor.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM

106 posts, read 319,505 times
Default greatschools.net not so great

Be careful of putting too much store in the data on this website. The demographic data tends to be very generalized and the schools performance ratings viewed through a narrow lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary