Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 08:01 AM

789 posts, read 368,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
I'm curious why you're waiting at a red light without other traffic (unless it has a broken detector loop.) On the side street, you can turn right-on-red. If it's the main street through, I would expect conflicting drivers turning right from the side or left onto the side street. If it's the main street left, you'd wait anyway at a traditional full-movement signal, as such a left turn would almost always be protected only because of sight distance limitations, or volume resulting in too many conflicts (including needing dual left turn lanes.) This happens much more often at traditional signals that are in signal coordination.
He's talking about waiting at the U-turn

Many times, there is no one coming and the turner is just sitting at the light (maybe because the sensors need adjusting for time of day)

What usually happens is that while sitting there with no one coming, the light is red. When the rush of traffic heads toward the turner, Murphy's Law takes over and they end up having to stop to let him make his U-turn.

At least that was usually my experience when I lived there - thanks goodness I moved

Can't it be a flashing Yellow at certain times of day and have sensors in the on-coming lanes that trip it to Red when necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 08:24 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I see the point of RCIs but I think the jughandle design is preferable.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:55 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I see the point of RCIs but I think the jughandle design is preferable.
As I drove through Holly Springs this morning I was wondering the same thing.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:10 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Just was on vacation in Utah and drove back to Salt Lake City from Moab earlier in the day - should send everyone in this thread on a trip down Bangerter Highway for fun going to/from the airport

Old 11-02-2022, 06:34 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Just was on vacation in Utah and drove back to Salt Lake City from Moab earlier in the day - should send everyone in this thread on a trip down Bangerter Highway for fun going to/from the airport
Just had a look and a key difference is those intersections have the setup where the left turns cross over the opposite side AHEAD of the light. Assuming the lights are timed right, it should flow better than what we have and for the side streets, since the lefts have their own two lanes with plenty of storage. For the cross streets there is no need turn right and then double back so you're not artificially adding cars that need to cut across two lanes in traffic to get where they are going.

Now, they've definitely gone all in on novel intersection designs on that road.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:18 PM

17 posts, read 17,697 times
My issue with super streets is unfortunately it seems too many drivers aren't able to judge how long it will take to accelerate to the speed limit especially at traffic signals where there is limited visibility of oncoming traffic. And often when they're turning right just to get into the Uturn lane a short distance later. Impact - a slower car turns into traffic and merges into the left hand lane and impacts 2 lanes of thru traffic. In Holly Springs, that's a 55 MPH road those cars are turning into (and let's face it, either cars are going 45 MPH (a completely different thread to rant about) or 65 MPH on Hwy 55). I've had some scary close calls while driving even being very cautious driving through Holly Springs on Hwy 55. Is the traffic flow during peak times really improving to offset the higher potential for deadly accidents? I'm not sold.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:38 AM

104 posts, read 64,627 times
I was interested in evaluating the bicyclist's point of view riding down Holly Springs road and trying to cross over 55. I realize the volume of on-road bicycle traffic around the area is probably very light, in percentage to cars, but this design looks very unsafe for bicyclists.

Here's an "interesting" sequence of Google street view photographs, northbound 55 through the first 180-degree loop back. I'm picturing a 10-15mph cyclist trying to turn left across two lanes of likely typical 45-60mph traffic, aiming for the center striped median. At this point, if still alive, the bicyclist needs to be cautious of hanging up a pedal on that damned concrete section, and watch the cars push the HELL out of the red left turn arrows:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6598...=en&authuser=0

You need to "drive" forward via the images to see what I'm writing. Gee, what fun! Also, what's the purpose of those painted "cycle" graphics at the left turn light stop lines - some stupid bicyclist died here?

In this circumstance, to cross over 55 safely, I'd probably switch to pedestrian mode and walk the crosswalk back at the intersection. But I shouldn't have to. 55 is not designated as a limited-access highway. And look at all of those residential houses just across 55 from all of that retail, separated by a car-only-centric thinking U.S. highway design.

Last edited by ncwheeling; 11-04-2022 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 09:56 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Those graphics mark where a bicyclist should position themselves to activate the traffic signal.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:38 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
If I were biking, I would dismount and walk my bike across as a pedestrian. Ideally, there should be a better way around this so bicyclists don't have to do that but then you have the conflicting NC 55 lefts preventing that.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:39 AM

104 posts, read 64,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Those graphics mark where a bicyclist should position themselves to activate the traffic signal.
Thanks, I'll have to try that sometime. The impatient car drivers will just love me sitting out in THEIR way.

I've so far never ever, ever been able to trip the wire type sensors so far with a bicycle. Usually, I wait & wait for a car, then if needed brush off the cobwebs and run the red when and if the cross traffic safely allows.

Last edited by ncwheeling; 11-04-2022 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary