Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 08:15 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times

Advertisements

It was for real.
We lost some power, but generally got through.
Heavy ice was snapping off tree branches and tree tops, with loud cracks.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...c1ffee4228a232

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/tri...north-carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 08:27 AM

1,340 posts, read 729,766 times
Got chilled just reading the thread title. We didn't have power for about a week in an all electric house. It was like Day After Tomorrow at our house except we didn't even have anything to burn.

Once we could get out, we would spend the day wherever we could get warm. The movie theater at Southpoint will always have a soft spot in my heart for having their heat set to tropical paradise and letting us cozy up and sleep through some movies.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:32 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,296,778 times
I was reading Alan Huffman's twitter and he says there are the makings for a big winter storm in the 2nd half of December. Obviously that's a ways out, but he generally seems pretty conservative.

If it happens, hopefully it will be snow versus ice.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:38 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,785,757 times
^
I've been hearing this a lot lately, that we are "overdue for a major ice storm." Not sure how people know that it would happen this year. I agree that Alan Huffman is pretty conservative and wouldn't just say things to get headlines.

Hope it's not the 2nd half of Dec as too much traveling occurs there. Let's wait til Jan.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:41 AM

6,395 posts, read 5,520,104 times
I was in middle school when that storm rolled through. I remember waking up in the wee hours of the morning being very confused as to why there was thunder and lightning during a winter storm....only to come to the realization in daylight that the "thunder and lightning" was the transformers exploding and about half the trees in our yard breaking in half and falling.

That was the last time I had owned a bicycle. Left it out in the driveway instead of putting it in the garage like mom told me....bam....bent in half by a fallen tree. No new bike because I didn't listen. Got my learners permit a year and a half later and never looked back.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:04 AM

3,242 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Power out for a week+ in Woodcroft. It got down to 37 degrees inside the house a couple of nights after the storm. Couldn't sleep that night because all ambient noise was gone (when power went out) and all you hear are pine cones/branches hitting the roof when the wind picked up or the ice accretion increased. Biggest irritation was that our block was the last to get power back in the neighborhood, several days after other communities - so frustrating.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:30 AM

104 posts, read 65,980 times
Thanks for the reminder that I should research and find someone to install a smallish, probably solid-state backup power source and a transfer switch.

I don't need/want much - just enough to power a shallow 110-volt well pump, fridge, and a few lights. Any Triangle->Raleigh area system supplier / electrician recommendations are welcome.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:59 AM

853 posts, read 592,333 times
How can I forget that storm? I can't. We lived in a older part of Raleigh with many big trees and all utilities (except for natural gas) above ground. We were without power for about ten days as we were at the end of a power line that served eight houses. We were able to stay in the house only because we had gas logs in the fireplace. They generated a lot of heat.

We now have a standby generator now that will run everything in the house. Please don't start with the comments about whole house generators. The advantages and disadvantages have been discussed at length in numerous other threads on this site.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:18 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,968,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Power out for a week+ in Woodcroft. It got down to 37 degrees inside the house a couple of nights after the storm. Couldn't sleep that night because all ambient noise was gone (when power went out) and all you hear are pine cones/branches hitting the roof when the wind picked up or the ice accretion increased. Biggest irritation was that our block was the last to get power back in the neighborhood, several days after other communities - so frustrating.
Funny, we lost power for 2 weeks after Fran, and I remember the silence and being able to see the Milky Way at night.

After Fran half the neighbors bought generators, and when we lost power for a week after the ice storm, it sounded like the neighborhood was being attacked by a herd of lawnmowers. Definitely way louder than when the power was on.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:46 PM

567 posts, read 959,688 times
I lived in an apartment at the time in NW Raleigh that was relatively close to a fire station and it never lost power. I had someone come over and stay with me since I still had heat and power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary