Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 07:09 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagflag View Post
Where are you living?
Cary

Quote:
I came from a country where if you forgot your jacket in a car, the car will be open and jacket will be stolen. I am used to lock my cars, my home doors, even locking my balcony.
Insurance is for that kind of things anyways if they happen. However, I don't want to live again in a place where theft and criminals are waiting for you to do a mistake.
I am not fan of guns, their sounds, the way they look, etc... unless I am somewhat sure they are in the right hands. I don't want to wake up on a sound of a nearby gunshot every other week. I am OK with hearing that once in a 10 years though!
Now, where should I live?
I’ve never heard a gunshot here in my 8 years. Just don’t login to Nextdoor where there’s “was that gunshots?!?!?” posts every other day. Spoiler alert, it’s almost always fireworks or backfiring cars.
But there is the occasional shooting, maybe 5-10 a year in Cary? More than I’m used to.

Have you been here before? If not then definitely come visit, as that’s the only true way to get a feel. I’d visit Cary, Apex, Morrisville. Also check out New Hill which is part of Apex but a little more of a slower speed (for now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 07:14 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Look, no one is shooting guns inside any town or city, they all banned that year's ago. Wake county just modified their ordinance to increase the distance you can shoot near a house even in rural areas.

When considering airplane noise, train noise, etc, the OP should consider that things are not like NJ here as far as volume of these occurrences. Unless they lived in the farmland of NJ even the worst area here is considerably less than what people deal with up there. Planes are not flying 1000 feet over dense residential neighborhoods here like I see every time in fly into one of the airports in NY/NJ.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:34 AM

11 posts, read 6,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
May I ask where in central Jersey you’re from? I used to live in Somerset County , and I can probably give you some good comparisons. Nearly all of the Triangle is a safe, giant family friendly suburb. There is petty crime, just like anywhere else, but I have never once felt unsafe. We escaped NJ 8 years ago, and I have never spent a single second regretting our choice. I only wish we had moved sooner.

I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.
I am in Somerset as well. Appreciate any comparisons!!!

Old 12-17-2022, 07:44 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Look, no one is shooting guns inside any town or city, they all banned that year's ago. Wake county just modified their ordinance to increase the distance you can shoot near a house even in rural areas.

When considering airplane noise, train noise, etc, the OP should consider that things are not like NJ here as far as volume of these occurrences. Unless they lived in the farmland of NJ even the worst area here is considerably less than what people deal with up there. Planes are not flying 1000 feet over dense residential neighborhoods here like I see every time in fly into one of the airports in NY/NJ.
Yes having lived under a flight path (JFK) I laugh when people here complain about airplane noise. We live closer to the airport here and we lived here three months before we saw a plane in the sky. My kids said “is there an airport around here?” Lol

Yes this has become an area where if you leave your car unlocked someone may go in and search for spare change and if you leave something better in there it will be gone. Same thing happened in my driveway on Long Island - once when I was living with my parents over 30 years ago and once in the driveway of our home parked in one of the richest zip codes on Long Island about 20 years ago. Pro adulting tip - YOU CANT CONTROL WHO COMES TO YOUR TOWN BECAUSE THATS HOW FREE SOCIETY WORKS. And things will continue to spiral in that regard. Nuff said here.

Based on one posters musings here you will probably be expecting to find a ghetto in the area. Come visit and you’ll see it’s just a normal American suburb with a lot of amenities and some problems. NORMAL TYPICAL SUBURB.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:13 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes having lived under a flight path (JFK) I laugh when people here complain about airplane noise. We live closer to the airport here and we lived here three months before we saw a plane in the sky. My kids said “is there an airport around here?” Lol

Yes this has become an area where if you leave your car unlocked someone may go in and search for spare change and if you leave something better in there it will be gone. Same thing happened in my driveway on Long Island - once when I was living with my parents over 30 years ago and once in the driveway of our home parked in one of the richest zip codes on Long Island about 20 years ago. Pro adulting tip - YOU CANT CONTROL WHO COMES TO YOUR TOWN BECAUSE THATS HOW FREE SOCIETY WORKS. And things will continue to spiral in that regard. Nuff said here.

Based on one posters musings here you will probably be expecting to find a ghetto in the area. Come visit and you’ll see it’s just a normal American suburb with a lot of amenities and some problems. NORMAL TYPICAL SUBURB.
I agree that much of the area here is typical American suburbs and not in the seventh circle of hell. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean it's as good or better than where the OP is from.

I have family in central NJ (a bit south of the OP) and have spend a ton of time there over the course of my life, and I personally think the area they're in is safer (and quieter!) than much of the Triangle area, and the schools are hands down higher quality. They also pay a lot more property tax (although I wonder if in the end with all the taxes added up if it's that different).

Whatever the case, the only way for the OP to really get a feel for things is to take a trip down here. It certainly attracts tons of other people to move here, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone or that our problems should be overlooked.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I agree that much of the area here is typical American suburbs and not in the seventh circle of hell. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean it's as good or better than where the OP is from.

I have family in central NJ (a bit south of the OP) and have spend a ton of time there over the course of my life, and I personally think the area they're in is safer (and quieter!) than much of the Triangle area, and the schools are hands down higher quality. They also pay a lot more property tax (although I wonder if in the end with all the taxes added up if it's that different).

Whatever the case, the only way for the OP to really get a feel for things is to take a trip down here. It certainly attracts tons of other people to move here, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone or that our problems should be overlooked.
Far and away the biggest reason to move here is the lower property taxes. My experience after many years on this board is people who rent in place "X" and move here and continue to rent are no happier than they were where they came from. In fact, moving away from family with no net benefit usually makes them less happy. If you have enough money saved to buy a house here but not enough where you came from it can also work out, but I think the ship has sailed on that. I know people who moved here 20-25 years ago and saved up and bought a house they never would have been able to get where they came from, but that has pretty much evened out here, all you might get here is a slighter newer house.

The schools up north will continue to attract people to the teaching profession because of the salary and benefits, here not only do you not get that but you are expected to put up with a lot more crap from parents, an equation that has never made sense to me. And the schools up there are probably status quo, while here they are going down hill fast, partially because of the lack of qualified personnel (starting with principals) and partially because there's nothing on offer from the school systems to make it worthwhile. Much easier to maintain the product and adjust to changes in a much smaller school district too.

If the OP thinks Somerset is crappy he is looking a nirvana he's not gonna be able to attain, IMHO.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 6,889 times
Quote:
Far and away the biggest reason to move here is the lower property taxes. My experience after many years on this board is people who rent in place "X" and move here and continue to rent are no happier than they were where they came from. In fact, moving away from family with no net benefit usually makes them less happy. If you have enough money saved to buy a house here but not enough where you came from it can also work out, but I think the ship has sailed on that. I know people who moved here 20-25 years ago and saved up and bought a house they never would have been able to get where they came from, but that has pretty much evened out here, all you might get here is a slighter newer house.

If the OP thinks Somerset is crappy he is looking a nirvana he's not gonna be able to attain, IMHO.
I disagree with the rent thing. A $2000 a month in NC rents a very nice 3 br place. In NJ an equivalent home would be $3500 a month. Even with purchasing a house, yea it got higher in NC, but it is now even way higher in NJ

Old 12-17-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I disagree with the rent thing. A $2000 a month in NC rents a very nice 3 br place. In NJ an equivalent home would be $3500 a month. Even with purchasing a house, yea it got higher in NC, but it is now even way higher in NJ
You completely missed the point of what I'm getting at.

Good luck with your move if you make it.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:

The schools up north will continue to attract people to the teaching profession because of the salary and benefits, here not only do you not get that but you are expected to put up with a lot more crap from parents, an equation that has never made sense to me. And the schools up there are probably status quo, while here they are going down hill fast, partially because of the lack of qualified personnel (starting with principals) and partially because there's nothing on offer from the school systems to make it worthwhile. Much easier to maintain the product and adjust to changes in a much smaller school district too.

I don’t think I agree with that - there are many reasons to live here outside of financial reasons. Commute time, weather, convenience were the big ones for us. The financials were a bonus but we never would have moved solely for that reason.

I think the people that move solely for financial reasons are the ones that don’t end up happy. Renting or not, if you’re leaving your friends and family just to be able to buy a nicer house and a nicer car, then it’s destined to fail.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Page with general Raleigh info, including crime, showing crime rates going down pretty steadily recently.

This is for Raleigh, but City-data (you know, the "data" part of City-Data) has a page for every city or town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary