Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 01:03 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Compared to where we moved from (MA), Raleigh is a massive suburb. I'll let Cary-ites here can fill you in on Cary (we never looked there, I've been there a handful of times in 6 years)
My wife works in downtown Cary, I've been there to her office quite a bit. TBH, I don't know why downtown Cary/east Cary doesn't get more attention. Maybe its because Cary as a whole is so expansive and most of it is newer, maybe because other parts have better proximity to RTP.

But, the part of Cary encircled by Maynard parkway roughly speaking is the best example of a town with its own developed suburban downtown area and core of services that people associate with living in a town. Parks, library, rec center, bunch of places to eat, etc...

Cary catches a lot of crap for being a bland beige stretch of Suburbia, but compared to most of the area, its nowhere near the worst offender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 01:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My wife works in downtown Cary, I've been there to her office quite a bit. TBH, I don't know why downtown Cary/east Cary doesn't get more attention. Maybe its because Cary as a whole is so expansive and most of it is newer, maybe because other parts have better proximity to RTP.

But, the part of Cary encircled by Maynard parkway roughly speaking is the best example of a town with its own developed suburban downtown area and core of services that people associate with living in a town. Parks, library, rec center, bunch of places to eat, etc...

Cary catches a lot of crap for being a bland beige stretch of Suburbia, but compared to most of the area, its nowhere near the worst offender.
Cary has always been the place for families. Families come here, find the perceived best schools, and live wherever they are. That area has consistently moved west as Cary annexed/expanded, probably following the new construction.

Now that Cary is almost fully built out, I would expect that to change. In the next couple decades I think the place to be will be as close to downtown as possible, and the perceived "best" schools will shift back east. It wouldn't shock me to see 27519 become less desirable. If it wasn't for convenience to RTP it wouldn't have a ton going for it once the newness of it is gone.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:48 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Ya I have no beef with Cary, I just don't know nearly any of it beyond the places I have had to go for something; Bass Pro for Santa. Some store in a shopping plaza near Kildare Farm (?) Rd for a specific beach bag my wife was buying.

What you describe above seems like what the OP would be seeking. We were "guided" towards WF/Heritage and for the most part haven't regretted that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary