Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 03:46 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Find a good real estate agent. They can easily fill you in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 05:24 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I can't answer anything about schools.

We do live in a CC (Brier Creek Country Club) and we don't have all that stuff. The golf carts pretty much stay on the golf course. I don't know of a lazy river pool anyplace in the Triangle - not even in one of the resorts, AFAIK. Our swimming season is MUCH shorter than Florida - the CC pool here opens around Memorial Day, closes around Labor Day. It's too cold to ride a round in a golf cart for quite a few months of the year.

I don't like to be overly negative. We've visited several areas of Florida for short and long-term stays, and I think I have an idea of what kind of community you have in mind. It's not here.

That said, there are many 'compensations' for giving up a golf cart and a lazy river. . .
Yes. Focus on compensations.

Preston Village jumps to mind. I would take the OP's budget there before anywhere in Holly Springs, TBH.
Of course, the "kids driving golf carts (adults do)" and "lazy river" will be elusive anywhere in the Triangle.

If considering Morrisville, Cary, Raleigh, or even Apex, OP should mind the air traffic overhead noise levels, if that matters.
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/ind...61f8ecb3e8e123

Old 03-08-2023, 05:55 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Woodcreek on the Apex - Holly Springs border has a nice neighborhood with waterslides and a lazy river...... if you don't mind an 8 lane Interstate in your backyard.... literally (I540 currently under construction). https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6725.../data=!3m1!1e3

Expect significant road noise (constant humming/droning)....despite using the latest in sound barrier protections.

Don't know about the golf cart thing there.

Personally, I put more weight into location and surrounding community (town) rather than the specific neighborhood .....or falling in love with a specific house (which some people do.... not saying you). I think convenience/ease of "getting around" the general area, available amenities such as recreational opportunities like trails and parks, cultural events, grocers, and shopping etc have a greater impact on my families QOL.

You've picked the forest (triangle area); now buy the tree -not the branch or nest.

Last edited by ncrunner77; 03-08-2023 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: specify I540

Old 03-08-2023, 07:06 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Regency Communities in Cary has the pools but not the slide. Not a golf cart community either. But it is close to shopping and there is quick access to a highway. Finally, no stink and much much fewer planes flying overhead.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:24 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
OK you came right out and said it LOL.

The other thing is, the pool-life season is short too. Most kids don't go past 5th grade. It's just not "cool" after that.
Yes, the irony is as soon as they are old enough to be allowed in unattended (12 or 13 typically), they have no interest in going. I think part of it is lack of cool factor and the other part is the pools are only max 5ft deep so about that age the water is no longer over their head and not as much fun stuff to do (plus there are all the "little" kids there with their parents). Also, because the pools are shallow (and its hot hear - no different than Florida though), by about the 4th of July, the pools are basically glorified hot tubs as you are swimming in water the temperature of a cool bath - not refreshing at all.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:26 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I don't know how close to Raleigh you want to be or if you are just talking about the metro area, but Briar Chapel in Chatham County might appeal. They have a great pool with a couple of slides and zero-depth entry. Nice clubhouse and trails and lots of kids. Another neighborhood that you might like is Heritage in Wake Forest, although I'm not familiar with their pool. You might also like Meadowmont on the Chapel Hill/Durham line. My neighborhood pool isn't that great, but ours opens Mother's Day weekend and closes end of September, although it's mostly weekends only in May and September. Other neighborhood pools might have that schedule, I don't know.
For a longer swim season OP might be better off with a non-guarded pool which technically might be "closed" after a certain date, but it's entry by code, so if the day is warm enough (and we have 80 degree days in Oct) they can let themselves in and swim. But typically those pools would be smaller.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Yes, the irony is as soon as they are old enough to be allowed in unattended (12 or 13 typically), they have no interest in going. I think part of it is lack of cool factor and the other part is the pools are only max 5ft deep so about that age the water is no longer over their head and not as much fun stuff to do (plus there are all the "little" kids there with their parents). Also, because the pools are shallow (and its hot hear - no different than Florida though), by about the 4th of July, the pools are basically glorified hot tubs as you are swimming in water the temperature of a cool bath - not refreshing at all.
I know!!! It's so annoying. Our pool does have a diving well that's 8-9 feet and they play there but yeah the second they are old enough to go alone they don't wanna.

Kids do drive golf carts around Preston Village, and it's just a matter of time till there's an accident - the roads around here are not really meant for it.

Amberly has a nice pool for little kids but it's barely big enough for the neighborhood these days.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:44 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I know!!! It's so annoying. Our pool does have a diving well that's 8-9 feet and they play there but yeah the second they are old enough to go alone they don't wanna.

Kids do drive golf carts around Preston Village, and it's just a matter of time till there's an accident - the roads around here are not really meant for it.

Amberly has a nice pool for little kids but it's barely big enough for the neighborhood these days.
Well... That checks off one box for the OP!

Old 03-08-2023, 09:46 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well... That checks off one box for the OP!
And across Davis Drive and Morrisville Parkway and so on and so forth. Like I said accident waiting to happen.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:

Saw some teenagers piled into a golf cart driving on the sidewalk on Davis Drive yesterday.

Then of course there was the woman that died at 12 Oaks when her drunk husband flung her out of the golf cart on the way back from a party at the clubhouse.

Golf carts don't have the best reputation around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary