Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 07:57 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Wow, THANK YOU to everyone for the great suggestions. I've written down a whole new list (will tag into YELP so I don't forget)

Couple comments based on the feedback, mostly just to "dialogue"
-Scratch: Good suggestion
-Brewery Bhavana: I was not "that" impressed, but I really like Bida Manda (sister restaurant) and I'm excited to see their Chef is opening a new place in Cary.
-Nantucket: Another great suggestion. I have never eaten there, I hope to rectify that.
-I'm really curious about A'Verde. Will need to check it out. (Looking at the Superica Menu, it just didn't inspire me)
-^Not sure if Jose & Son is still in DT Raleigh, but that used to be a fun place too, and always "intereseting"

Adding to the pizza ideas: One of my favorites in Durham is Ponysaurus. They do a great job.
I have also been DYING to try IDEAL subs. They are not really in the spirit of this discussion, but I've seen their subs at Ponysaurus adn WOW do they look good.

Thanks a lot. (And I believe reps have been given to everyone who made a rec, except for one of you where I needed to "spread the love" <--too soon)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 08:19 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I've not been to the local restaurants that serve grill it yourself korean BBQ, but we used to go to them frequently when we lived in phoenix. The variety of meats suited both of us, the banchan offered flavors that aren't common in other cuisines, the self cooking was fun, and it was pretty much self-paced so date night could be longer.

We haven't gone in awhile; DH's appetite isn't what is was and, since the meals are huge or AYCE, the higher price point doesn't make sense for us.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:56 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I was not personally impressed by A'Verde or Brewery Bhavana though I will still go there but definitely not a "date-night" spot for me

Stanbury is my favorite spot to take someone in Raleigh. Downside is they don't take reservations so you have to be there when they open at 5 PM or be prepared to walk down the street to Person Street for a drink or two if there's a long wait. William & Company is a great bar around there if that happens to you.

I finally tried Second Empire last year and ate in the tavern. It lived up to the hype.

JKgourmet, Seol Grille is pretty decent around here though nothing as good as out west. There's a few good hot pot places that have popped up around here as well - Szechuan Mansion and So Hot.

If you go to Ponysaurus, I really enjoy Mezcalito which is right across the street. They've popped up in a few towns on the fringes of the area like Clayton, Goldsboro and Henderson.

I tried to go to Ideal's last weekend about an hour before close and they said they were out of bread and chicken haha, so if you do try it go early I guess?

Jose and Sons is no longer downtown - I haven't been to their new location.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:23 AM

253 posts, read 235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I feel like an outlier on Cape Fear Seafood Company. Neither my wife nor I were impressed, and I doubt we'll go again. My wife really liked Nantucket Grill, though I wasn't with her when she visited (though I like the menu). If you were in North Raleigh I could easily give you 1/2 dozen solid non-chain recommendations, but being down in Apex the travel time isn't going to work.
Not to hijack OP's thread, but I'll take your North Raleigh non-chain recommendations.

Old 03-09-2023, 03:51 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wow, THANK YOU to everyone for the great suggestions.
-Brewery Bhavana: I was not "that" impressed, but I really like Bida Manda (sister restaurant) and I'm excited to see their Chef is opening a new place in Cary.)
I went there for the first time recently while visiting friends in Raleigh. Not at all impressed. Drinks were good. Appetizers were also quite tasty although choices were very limited. Our waitress informed us they were “out†of about half of them. Entrees were mediocre at best. Way too many good restaurants in the area to waste my money here.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:49 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiacat View Post
Not to hijack OP's thread, but I'll take your North Raleigh non-chain recommendations.
Probably best for a different thread, but here are some that I like (off the top of my head): Poppyseed Market, Zest, Nanas, Margaux's, Vino Finos Tapas, and Piper's Tavern.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:59 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I love Oakleaf in Chapel Hill, they never disappoint. They also own the Beagle in Pittsboro I have friend who raves about Chef's Palette in Cary. La Grassa in Cary has great homemade pasta and the helpings are generous. Katmandu Kitchen in Cary has great food and a lovely space. Those are a few off the top of my head.

Old 03-10-2023, 08:30 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiacat View Post
I think it's relevant, not a hijack at all.

I like Waraji for Sushi (West Raleigh?)
Bella Monica has good pizza
Seasons 52 (already mentioned) at Crabtree is good.

I'll be reading the replies, we are very open to driving up to N. Raleigh for good food.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:31 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
FWIW, I'm located in South Cary,
Check out Chef's Palette. It is a nice local restaurant.

Downtown Cary....MC is excellent. Maximillians Grill is a place you might want to try. We had a nice dinner there last year.

Lucky 32 is close to us but we don't eat there.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Caffe Luna is a great one in downtown Raleigh- easy parking, affordable and delicious food, nice classy interior but not overly fancy or anything.

Tonbo Ramen, also downtown, is delicious stuff too. Possibly too casual maybe, maybe not- check out the Google review pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary