Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 01:20 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

I know we discuss this a lot here, but I could not find a RECENT thread on good 'date night' restaurants.

FWIW, I'm located in South Cary, and willing to go drive into DT Raleigh on almost any night. DT Durham has to be a little special (because it's a little further).

Looking for fun places to eat with my wife. We're both foodies, I'm very adventurous, she's somewhat adventurous. We have our favorites, which I'll list a few of below, but I realize places come and go all the time, so I'm always curious as to what others are enjoying NOW.

We typically like "fairly casual, with great food". (Not hoity-toity, and we don't mind paying for good food, but not into paying just to go to the "in" place.)

Places we like:
Teresas (formerly Alex and Teresas) for great Italian Food
Mi Cancun for above average "American Mexican Food"
Sitti
Taverna Agora (on the roof)
Lucky 32
Seasons 52 (A chain, but not "chain-like")

Generally speaking, we like interesting food, getting a good value, and going to a place that we can sit down and enjoy a relaxed meal without getting rushed.

Places I really don't like:
Cheesecake Factory: A lot of quantity, but not that good IMO.
Fridays, Chilis, Ruby Tuesday, etc.: NOt that bad, but "boring" IMO
Super-fancy places like the Angus Barn. I actually like them a lot, but for nearly $100/person, I can cook a dang good steak at home and still afford to go out to one the places I love.
Fu-Fu places where you pay $40 for an entree that looks like an appetizer
Any place that needs to promote "Vegan" or "Gluten Free" to get customers. (I don't mind Vegetarian or even vegan places, but it's not what I'm looking for.
Etc.

Asking because we want to add to the list above... And because it's always a great discussion to have.
Bonus if you tell us what you like about your recommendations.

Last edited by Myghost; 03-08-2023 at 02:17 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 02:11 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Scratch Kitchen (Apex or Cary).
Oak City Meatball (DT Raleigh).
Parkside (DT Raleigh).
Gate City Chop House.
Cape Fear Seafood.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
it's not fancy but I recommend Salt Box in Durham. Good food, the chef won a James Beard award, local. Come over to Durham for lunch, maybe catch a baseball game or a show later.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Nantucket Grill is always good. Go on free cake night.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:22 PM

311 posts, read 887,508 times
We’ve enjoyed Salt and Lime Cabo Grill and Cape Fear Seafood in Raleigh and Bodega and Norse Brewing in Wake Forest.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:39 PM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
I second Scratch Kitchen mentioned above, I've never had a bad meal there and they have a seasonal menu so always something new to try. When you're done eating walk over to Peak of the Vine (a wine bar), great little place.

Some other favorites
La Santa on Glenwood - Mexican https://lasantanc.com/home/ I like the mole and the drinks are unique and great

Vieni Ristobar in Holly Springs - Italian https://www.vieniristobar.com/ I've had the tagliatelle with mushrooms and the pappardelle bolognese, both were excellent

Osha in Holly Springs - Thai and great sushi Osha Thai Kitchen & Sushi Pad Thai is on point and the sushi is some of the best around

Rey's in Cary - old school steakhouse vibes https://reysrestaurant.com/ It's a steakhouse, plain and simple. Great steaks, sides and the old school flambee for desserts.

Brewery Bhavana downtown Raleigh - Chinese https://brewerybhavana.com/ Honestly I've never had anything here I didn't like. Standouts for me are the crab fried rice, soup dumplings and the beef with longhorn peppers.

Vidrio on Glenwood - Mediterranean small plates https://www.vidrioraleigh.com/ The menu is constantly changing, so what I had may not be served when you go but everything here was excellent.

Edited my post to add what I liked per the original posters request!

Old 03-08-2023, 06:48 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Some of my favorites are Neuse River Brasserie, Sushi Mon, Superica for Mexican, Fine Folk, Mateo for Tapas

Old 03-08-2023, 07:58 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Nantucket Grill is always good. Go on free cake night.
We're going there for my dad's b'day in a month and I'm already thinking about the cake LOL.

Cape Fear Seafood is very nice. Makes you feel like you're at the beach.

Old 03-08-2023, 11:37 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
I feel like an outlier on Cape Fear Seafood Company. Neither my wife nor I were impressed, and I doubt we'll go again. My wife really liked Nantucket Grill, though I wasn't with her when she visited (though I like the menu). If you were in North Raleigh I could easily give you 1/2 dozen solid non-chain recommendations, but being down in Apex the travel time isn't going to work.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:40 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I second Scratch Kitchen mentioned above
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I feel like an outlier on Cape Fear Seafood Company. Neither my wife nor I were impressed, and I doubt we'll go again.
I'm the opposite on both of these. Not impressed with Scratch Kitchen and we really like Cape Fear Seafood. Was glad to see them open a place in Raleigh after enjoying them in Wilmington.

We like A'Verde, on Walnut Street, but it can be pretty noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary