Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

From what I have heard....

In order to get paid health insurance after 5 years your first hire date is supposed to be before 2006 . Does this mean if I taught one year way back and then stayed home to raise a family ,that I could return to teaching 4 years and get this benefit?? What exactly does "first hire date" mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
First hire date should be exactly what it says -- the date upon which you became an employee for the NC public schools. I am not sure how a break in service like what you describe might affect it. Call the HR office for your area's schools. One of the benefits people should easily be able to answer the question for you, or check the State's benefits online.

I had no idea they had changed that. Wow, five years. Guess Health INS is more expensive than what I even realized. For years, I have paid to cover my husband and child with the Family Plan, but I could have the State cover me at no cost, or with a much lower premium if I wanted to just cover myself on a Plus Plan.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 AM

153 posts, read 459,882 times
RDS, I think what OP is referring to is the health ins. retirement benefits. You still get health insurance when you start, but prior to 2006, with 5 yrs of service, you would get fully covered health ins. in retirement. Now you have to have 20 yrs of service.

OP, I think you are right...as long as you worked here prior to that date, you should be able to pick up where you left off..but I would call.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncitgal View Post
RDS, I think what OP is referring to is the health ins. retirement benefits. You still get health insurance when you start, but prior to 2006, with 5 yrs of service, you would get fully covered health ins. in retirement. Now you have to have 20 yrs of service.

OP, I think you are right...as long as you worked here prior to that date, you should be able to pick up where you left off..but I would call.

Yes.. my post was unclear.. I did mean paid heath insurance
after retirement.

If they allow that break like I had..that would be a huge help to our
retirement plan. My kids are leaving for college and I was going to
work anyway til we can afford to retire.

I will post after I get an official answer.

Update: just called the HR at the WCPSS . She said if I withdrew my retirement $ after that first year I could not
have the benefit but If I left it I could . I wish I had known that way back .... I did withdraw it to help pay for
graduate school.

Last edited by kelly237; 05-30-2008 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Update: just called the HR at the WCPSS . She said if I withdrew my retirement $ after that first year I could not
have the benefit but If I left it I could . I wish I had known that way back .... I did withdraw it to help pay for
graduate school.
Oh, bummer--yep, once you withdraw your money, you've effectively "erased" your prior service

Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Oh, bummer--yep, once you withdraw your money, you've effectively "erased" your prior service

Update...just talked with lady at NC Dept of State Treasurer and she found the small print that says I would be grandfathered in even
though I withdrew the retirement. I still need 5 more years because the 1 year I worked does not count as part of the 5 but the great thing is
the grandfathered part.

My motto is "if you don't like the answer you get..ask someone else!!"
Pays off!!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:17 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Update...just talked with lady at NC Dept of State Treasurer and she found the small print that says I would be grandfathered in even
though I withdrew the retirement. I still need 5 more years because the 1 year I worked does not count as part of the 5 but the great thing is
the grandfathered part.

My motto is "if you don't like the answer you get..ask someone else!!"
Pays off!!
You can "buy" that year back by putting back the amount you withdrew plus penalties.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
You can "buy" that year back by putting back the amount you withdrew plus penalties.
That is great news. It was only about 2 K if I recall but at the time
I needed it for graduate school .
....of course now I see that a small student loan would have been smarter.
I will check on the amount and penalties.
Thanks

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
If so, THE SOONER THE BETTER! The cost of buying back prior service with the state (such as yours, or in my case, I had been a temp for a year before becoming a "real" state employee) goes up, the longer you wait. (I imagine they base it on your salary at the time you buy it, not tat the time you earned it) I enquired the very DAY I hit my 5-year anniversary and it would cost me a lot more to have waited; I knew someone once who had something like 3 years of prior service (or out-of-state govt service) she could have bought back and retired on the spot, but she had waited so long, it was enormously expensive to do so, so she just worked out her time.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If so, THE SOONER THE BETTER! The cost of buying back prior service with the state (such as yours, or in my case, I had been a temp for a year before becoming a "real" state employee) goes up, the longer you wait. (I imagine they base it on your salary at the time you buy it, not tat the time you earned it) I enquired the very DAY I hit my 5-year anniversary and it would cost me a lot more to have waited; I knew someone once who had something like 3 years of prior service (or out-of-state govt service) she could have bought back and retired on the spot, but she had waited so long, it was enormously expensive to do so, so she just worked out her time.
From what I have read I will have to work 5 years before being able to buy back that year. How much difference would that year make ??
At first I thought buying it back would mean heath insurance in retirement after 4 more years. Do you have to be any certain age to receive the
benefits or is it just when you decide to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary