Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 05:52 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I too only buy my staples at Wegmans. I completely agree with your assessment.
The first time we went to Wegman's we were really underwhelmed, and could not believe some of the prices. Then we went back, and keep coming back for the excellent store brand cereal and vegan items, as well as the ethnic items that we cannot find anywhere else. And yes, the bread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 09:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
I agree with Pierretong's post- the high cost prepped foods are to offset the cheap grocery items. And they are cheap- I think only Walmart has cheaper items overall? I know Harris Teeter, Publix, Lowe's Foods and even Food Lion are more expensive. Lidl and Aldi are probably cheaper, but I don't shop at either of those so meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Exactly. They have the best produce, meat, fish, etc selections you'll find anywhere. If Wegmans doesn't have it you don't need it.

The prepared food is mediocre at best and yes; ridiculously priced.

I am a sucker for their bakery though.... give me that marathon bread and those desserts!
Those bakery items are dank af. The fresh breads and the desserts. Garlic Tuscan bread dipped in olive oil as a side after cooking some of their fresh pasta is *chef's kiss*.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:39 PM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Exactly. They have the best produce, meat, fish, etc selections you'll find anywhere. If Wegmans doesn't have it you don't need it.

The prepared food is mediocre at best and yes; ridiculously priced.

I am a sucker for their bakery though.... give me that marathon bread and those desserts!
Their bakery is tough to get through. I love their breads.

Solid prices on meats if you buy by the family pack. They also have some incredibly expensive cuts but the staples are affordable if you don't get sticker shock from the other items. Their dairy products are by far the cheapest of any grocer. I always buy my greek yogurts and milk there. Canned and dry goods are also well priced.

Avoid the prepared food at all cost. They also don't do mark downs as much as Food Lion and Harris Teeter - breads from the morning are still full priced at 11:30 PM.

Old 04-04-2023, 02:14 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
I enjoy Harris Teeter's Asian bar when it's FRESH, but I think it still runs $11.99/lb. That lo mein, tho. Yummy!

I am a Publix die-hard, but the suburban locations don't offer much in the way of hot food; this is true here in Raleigh, as well as the stores I shop in my hometown of Lakeland, FL (where Publix corporate HQ resides). I guess they focus more on PubSubs, sides, and chicken for their prepared offerings. Maybe they offer more variety at the urban locations.

Wegman's isn't my jam, but I've never been pre-COVID. Whole Foods' hot bar is always fantastic.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:52 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
God knows how long that food has been siting on the bar before you eat it. I've hardly ever seen anyone eating a meal there.
I used to go to the hot Asian bar all the time when I lived in PA. Since the store opened in Raleigh, i've only tried it a couple of times.

The last time was when I saw a woman stuffing her container full, while holding her phone on her shoulder and talking, and all while she was eating food from said container.

Complete turnoff at this point. Good manners have gone out the window these days and food bars need to become a thing of the past.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:10 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
I only buy specific things there that are hard to find at other stores. I don't like that they charge for bags now and refuse to pay extra for bags at any store. I also think people walking out with unbegged items increases the risk of shoplifting and Wegmans doesn't have receipt checkers at the doors.
It's REALLY not difficult to keep reusable shopping bags in the trunk of your car and take them into the store with you

Old 04-04-2023, 06:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's REALLY not difficult to keep reusable shopping bags in the trunk of your car and take them into the store with you
Nope....I'm not going to be cluttering up my trunk space with empty bags. I only buy a few items that I can easily carry without bags. It's their loss if I don't buy more stuff because of their stupid bag policy and they could easily just go back to paper bags like the old days. I have noticed that Wegmans isn't as busy as they used to be since they started charging $$ for bags.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:15 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I enjoy Harris Teeter's Asian bar when it's FRESH, but I think it still runs $11.99/lb. That lo mein, tho. Yummy!

I am a Publix die-hard, but the suburban locations don't offer much in the way of hot food; this is true here in Raleigh, as well as the stores I shop in my hometown of Lakeland, FL (where Publix corporate HQ resides). I guess they focus more on PubSubs, sides, and chicken for their prepared offerings. Maybe they offer more variety at the urban locations.

Wegman's isn't my jam, but I've never been pre-COVID. Whole Foods' hot bar is always fantastic.
Back when my family traveled to Florida, we would stop and get the Publix chicken dinner meal with sides and iced tea for around $10. It was good food and much cheaper than eating out in a restaurant. I lived in Florida for over twenty years and Publix was our primary grocery store. That was back when they still took the groceries to your car which was a nice touch.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:38 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Nope....I'm not going to be cluttering up my trunk space with empty bags. I only buy a few items that I can easily carry without bags. It's their loss if I don't buy more stuff because of their stupid bag policy and they could easily just go back to paper bags like the old days. I have noticed that Wegmans isn't as busy as they used to be since they started charging $$ for bags.
I doubt that it's the charging for bags that may be affecting the number of shoppers at Wegmans. It's more likely the price of eggs (and increased prices of virtually every item in the grocery store). Decreased number of shoppers seems to be true at every grocery store.

PS The UK has charged for bags for over 55 years.

As far as your trunk being messy, I kinda hate that too. And when the reusable bags were in my trunk, I regularly forgot to get them. Solution from Amazon. See the little pouch in the upper right? All the bags fit in it, zippered, nest, tidy, easy to stash on the floor of the passenger seat within easy reach. The bags are lightweight, washable and seen to last forever.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:02 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
MANY states charge for bags. They don't "clutter up" the trunk!! They fold neatly - unless there is all kinds of other garbage in the trunk....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary