Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 09:09 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

When Wegman's opened in Ashburn/Sterling VA many moons ago, I really liked their hot bar. Great variety, yummy food and I don't remember it being too costly. I was sorely disappointed by the local Wegman's offerings, even before Covid. Oh well!

Edit - I guess I don't buy enough "staples" to warrant going to Wegmans - I admit I wasn't overly impressed with their grocery aisles either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 09:13 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's REALLY not difficult to keep reusable shopping bags in the trunk of your car and take them into the store with you
Dunno, I’ve lived in NYS where they charge for bags for a little over a year and still haven’t gotten into the habit. Royally, colossally stupid.

Wegmans was founded here, and it’s usually the last choice on my list. It’s just dang expensive, even compared to its competitors. I hate Aldi with the furiously hot passion of a thousand suns, and usually go there before wegmans. It’s a bit like HEB - a lot of folks love it, but I don’t personally see what all the fuss is about.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:14 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Agreed their prepared foods are really expensive....but those Killer Brownies are fire after you set your mind right.
Yeah, but let's be honest. So is a Moon-Pie and a Pepsi after you've done the aforementioned preparatory work. <-- a lot cheaper

I've always known (or thought) Wegmens big claim to fame was their prepared food. I'm just not a fan of any prepared food at restaurant prices, if that's what I'm going to pay, I'll sit down at a restaurant and eat it fresh.

I like Wegmans for only a few things:
1. Great options to build my own Charceutery plate
2. Excellent beer slection
3. (and this is the big one) is they have Lupo's brand of Speidies marinade.

I've never really paid attention to their cheap store brand basics, but I will start doing that if/when I go there. Generally speaking, I use them for specialty items I can't get anywhere else. Regarding #2, they have an insane cheese counter, as well as so many various sliced meat options. You can make a really nice tray with what they have.

I wanted to like them more than I do. But I certainly don't hate them. They have their niche.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:47 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Dunno, I’ve lived in NYS where they charge for bags for a little over a year and still haven’t gotten into the habit. Royally, colossally stupid.
Why is it stupid? They save by not having to pay for plastic bags and probably earn a penny or two on the paper ones. Most people don't go to Wegman's on a casual basis, so we/they have learned about the bags. Doesn't bother me - I keep a Playmate cooler in the back, in case we need to run other errands, without worrying about the cold stuff. Empty bags fit in there nicely

Quote:
Wegmans was founded here, and it’s usually the last choice on my list. It’s just dang expensive, even compared to its competitors. I hate Aldi with the furiously hot passion of a thousand suns, and usually go there before wegmans. It’s a bit like HEB - a lot of folks love it, but I don’t personally see what all the fuss is about.
As noted above, Wegmans can be expensive on some things, but are dirt cheap on other things like staples. I think milk is still under $3.00/gallon. When they first opened, their 2-pack of 18 eggs was $1.79. They still may be the cheapest on eggs.

Aldi's and Lidl are widely known as the cheapest place to shop. Some items are not good - the cat won't even eat Aldi's tuna, but other things are great. Lidl has a lot of brand names. Beer is usually cheaper there, even compared to when HT and others have it on sale.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:49 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Yeah, but let's be honest. So is a Moon-Pie and a Pepsi after you've done the aforementioned preparatory work. <-- a lot cheaper
Fair. But sometimes you just want them damn Killer Brownies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I've always known (or thought) Wegmens big claim to fame was their prepared food. I'm just not a fan of any prepared food at restaurant prices, if that's what I'm going to pay, I'll sit down at a restaurant and eat it fresh.

I like Wegmans for only a few things:
1. Great options to build my own Charceutery plate
2. Excellent beer slection
3. (and this is the big one) is they have Lupo's brand of Speidies marinade.

I've never really paid attention to their cheap store brand basics, but I will start doing that if/when I go there. Generally speaking, I use them for specialty items I can't get anywhere else. Regarding #2, they have an insane cheese counter, as well as so many various sliced meat options. You can make a really nice tray with what they have.

I wanted to like them more than I do. But I certainly don't hate them. They have their niche.
They did not exist in either place I have lived in the US pre here, so I don't know what their claim to fame was. Their prepared foods are crazy expensive for sure. I do the shopping for my family, and Wegmans is my "grocer" for the staples, but I augment with Target and Sam's as well. I will got to HT, have never bought anything at Publix other than pub-subs and their chicken tenders (and that wont ever change). For the same reason I don't go to a BBQ place up this way. (y'all can put 2 and 2 together if you want).

Old 04-05-2023, 01:59 PM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
I’ve been shopping at the Wegman’s in Morrisville for fill in items for the past 6 months or so. My daughter has to eat gluten and dairy free. For these items, Wegman’s selection is leagues ahead of any other grocery store and their prices are significantly cheaper. It’s just a little too far away for it be our regular grocery store, but I’ve been impressed at their prices when I pick up a few other items we’ve run out of during the week. 9/10 items are cheaper than other grocery stores. I’ve picked up some meat a few times and prices and quality were excellent. Their fried chicken was disappointing. No one does better than Publix at grocery store fried chicken.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:00 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Paper bags cost 5 cents and the money is donated to local food banks.

Wegmans may be slightly ahead of the curve on getting rid of plastic bags, but not by much. Single-use plastic bags are already banned or taxed in much of their footprint, so it's not a big leap to for them to just get rid of them company-wide.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:22 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Back when my family traveled to Florida, we would stop and get the Publix chicken dinner meal with sides and iced tea for around $10. It was good food and much cheaper than eating out in a restaurant. I lived in Florida for over twenty years and Publix was our primary grocery store. That was back when they still took the groceries to your car which was a nice touch.
Yes, Publix chicken is pretty good; my Lakeland go-to usually has a waiting list during peak. They still bring your groceries to your car -- that service has never stopped.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
since plastic bags were posted....

for a Christmas gag-gift, we got our son
an entire case of plastic shopping bags
for FREE (thank you Harris-Teeter) since
he lived in DC and had to pay for one
at every store. he was SO popular
when he returned to DC.

for your reading pleasure:
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/08/72154...g-plastic-bags

Old 04-08-2023, 11:22 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

I've been bringing my own grocery bags to the store since the 1990s. You will eventually get into the habit. I forget them maybe 1 time out of 20-25 visits. And my house isn't clogged up with a lot of wasteful plastic bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary