Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 12:04 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times

Advertisements

My first floor ceiling is currently leaking in one spot. The roof is fine and the second floor ceiling is fine. We've face this issue before and put a cap on it last year but it seems to be going again with all the rain.

I had a smart roofer out who told me it was likely a failed joist or tacking like a T on the plumbing and water is just leaking out while it's passing through.

Does anyone know who can get into and do a fix on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 12:37 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Vent pipe?
Plumber or handyman. Should be an easy fix, if the roofer is right. But, fairly uncommon, I would think, for a plumbing vent pipe, fitting, or joint to leak.
Now, if it is a water line, that would surely be a plumbing job.
Is the attic easily accessible on the inside? Walk up or pull down stairs that make it easy to observe the area?

As long as the roofer is right. Was this the roofer who fixed it last year?

Old 04-07-2023, 12:44 PM

I started a claim with home owners insurance. It's not on the roof its somewhere in the piping. The roofer was out here last year looking at it and in fact poured a water bottle down the pipe itself and I could feel moisture at the leak spot on the first floor.

We've been in the attic, on the second floor, it's only this spot on the first floor. It's only when it's raining. So when external rain is entering that pipe and flowing through out the house a leak is occuring.

I called the plumber who said to call a roofer and the roofer said it was a plumber. The roofer was baker so pretty reputable.

Can you help me understand how this is an easy fix because in my mind if its the plumbing joints they're going to have to cut into the drywall and search that doesn't seem easy right?

Old 04-07-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I started a claim with home owners insurance. It's not on the roof its somewhere in the piping. The roofer was out here last year looking at it and in fact poured a water bottle down the pipe itself and I could feel moisture at the leak spot on the first floor.

We've been in the attic, on the second floor, it's only this spot on the first floor. It's only when it's raining. So when external rain is entering that pipe and flowing through out the house a leak is occuring.

I called the plumber who said to call a roofer and the roofer said it was a plumber. The roofer was baker so pretty reputable.

Can you help me understand how this is an easy fix because in my mind if its the plumbing joints they're going to have to cut into the drywall and search that doesn't seem easy right?
Well... You have added details that make it more interesting and may increase the anticipated difficulty.

A wet spot on the drywall? I would likely just cut into it and try to trace it from there. Someone is going to have to. I come back to a handyman if you don't want to cut the drywall yourself.

FWIW, I've done a lot of roof repairs, and haven't seen a vent pipe leak or separate in the interior, but it may be exactly what you have.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
It seems as though there would need to be a complete separation of the pipe, otherwise it seems impossible that rain alone could cause enough leakage for you to see it on the drywall.

I agree, cut a hole in the drywall and look up. May be something simple enough that you can fix it yourself.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:53 PM

you know i went back into the attic and I have video of dripping in the attic from the vent pipe flashing so it was just coming down in a weird way so lets see what baker has to say i guess.

It sucks because baker sent a guy out last year he probably could have noticed wet or compressed spray insulation but im not a housing pro

maybe flowing water is getting under in a small bead based on water dynamics

Old 04-07-2023, 05:47 PM

307 posts, read 296,754 times
Sounds like the boot failed and the water followed the pipe. Its usually a 2" but if it shares the stack with a toilet could be 3". It can prolly be sealed up externally but if its one of those metal flange type that covers the pvc, it could rust through at the roof. You can get nests in them that will block the air admittance since they prevent vapor lock. They dont vent gasses out.

A wet vent is a drain big enough to never allow water flow to fill the pipe, allowing air exchange. Its really common and can leak from the second floor if somebody puts a screw through it in the wall...or uses those 3+ inch brad nails to secure quarter inch thick baseboards.

Throw some talc (dont use flour!) around and see where it sticks or sprinkle some down in areas if you are looking for slow drips. You can also get cheap water/moisture alarms in like 8 packs on that Jeff Jorgensen site. I put them behind my toilets, washer, etc. There is even one with a monitoring hub that hooks up to your home wifi. I once flooded a second floor with about 50 gallons from a faulty water supply and now I'm paranoid about water.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
you know i went back into the attic and I have video of dripping in the attic from the vent pipe flashing so it was just coming down in a weird way so lets see what baker has to say i guess.

It sucks because baker sent a guy out last year he probably could have noticed wet or compressed spray insulation but im not a housing pro

maybe flowing water is getting under in a small bead based on water dynamics
Ah. Spray Foam.
I like the stuff, but up against the roof deck, it can complicate leak diagnosis.

I would be tempted to hack away some of the insulation against the roof deck around the vent pipe to see if there is wetness.
The leak could be higher, and just coming through at the vent penetration, too.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Who can fix a plumbing vent pipe leak?
Vent pipes don't leak. After the day the system is tested they'll never (ordinarily) have any water in them.
When they might (Very rare) it'll be backed up stinky nasty waste line sewage water.
If that were the case your complaint and the OP title would reflect that.

However, the vent pipe is often a conveyance of leaked water.
It provides a path for water to follow. By gravity. Most often observed after a storm.

Quote:
I had a smart roofer
Well, maybe not so much.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:40 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
However, the vent pipe is often a conveyance of leaked water.
It provides a path for water to follow. By gravity. Most often observed after a storm.
If it turns out to be a leak around a vent pipe, I really like these (Perma Boots).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perma-Bo...-3BK/202581375

Can't imagine ever having a house without them. And they are from a local company in Garner.
https://permaboot.co
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: