Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2023, 09:27 AM

56 posts, read 30,580 times

Advertisements

I've seen HVAC service recommendations here for Matson/Maximum Mechanical and Anthony's Air Service, but those threads were a few years old. Are these still good choices, or anyone else I should be looking at these days? Looking to possibly repair but more likely replace our heat pump system. Sick of having to fully replace refrigerant twice a year with the lousy Lennox systems installed in the Lennar section of Bella Casa, and the service company we've been using hasn't been able to solve the leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 10:56 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
I'm in Raleigh but I can give a recommendation for SantaAir or Alternative Aire

Old 04-08-2023, 11:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I've been recommending Justin Woodlief for years. He's done all of our maintenance and has replaced old upper and lower floor units. You will find his contact info if you search this forum.

Old 04-08-2023, 02:31 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I've been recommending Justin Woodlief for years. He's done all of our maintenance and has replaced old upper and lower floor units. You will find his contact info if you search this forum.
I 2nd Justin, he's been my HVAC guy for over a decade.

OP, have they ever claimed to find a leak? If so, where was it and how did they fix it? Or are they just adding refrigerant?

Old 04-08-2023, 02:43 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Is Justin still around? I used him a few times for minor repairs almost a decade ago and was very happy, but haven't needed any HVAC service since then. Had heard some folks say they couldn't get a hold of him in recent years and weren't sure if he was still working in the business. I also recall that he isn't licensed/registered and goes through a friend's license when pulling permits and the like. That may or may not be a concern for some folks.

Old 04-08-2023, 02:43 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
It isn't uncommon for refrigerant line in the wall to be nicked by a nail or screw, and might be hard to locate.

So, be sure your lines are good before spending $$$$$ on new units.

These folks are in Fuquay-Varina.
They did our spring/fall maintenance last year. He came to Cary, so I am sure he would go to Bella Casa.
Nolan Heating & Cooling, Inc.

I liked them, and on a 20 year old unit and 29 year old unit, only had to replace a capacitor, where someone else may have tried to sell us new equipment.
I expect to re-up this year. I want to be in someone's active customer file considering the age of those two units.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-08-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 03:08 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Is Justin still around? I used him a few times for minor repairs almost a decade ago and was very happy, but haven't needed any HVAC service since then. Had heard some folks say they couldn't get a hold of him in recent years and weren't sure if he was still working in the business. I also recall that he isn't licensed/registered and goes through a friend's license when pulling permits and the like. That may or may not be a concern for some folks.
He was out at the house late summer last year to replace a fan on the condenser. He said that during the summers he tries to spend Thu-Sun at his beach house with his kids (before they get too old and don't want to spend any time with him). He did comment that business was good enough that he no longer needed to work weekends and drive all over the place taking every job.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:09 AM

308 posts, read 297,818 times
I'm in the market getting quotes for the upstairs heat pump unit that handles about 900sqft. Quoted from 2 different companies at $15k and $16k so far (system, ducts, lineset) for a 2T Goodman 2 stage 17SEER. Mine are 25 years old and look like rust-city inside plus the ductwork is nasty. Seems like I should be able to contract out the ductwork separately considering one company wants 4600 and the other 2100. I estimate its about 1200 in materials for a flex and cube configuration on the high side for company that prolly gets volume discounts. Thats a large difference in labor. The equipment is about 6k if I bought it myself. Shopping HVAC is almost as bad as buying a used car with markup madness. If anyone qualifies for the IRA, you should be able to get at least a 2k tax credit for '23.

I was told SEER2 is more "real world" conditions whereas SEER is in the perfect settings so you know what kind of efficiency you're getting. There is a refrigerant change this year too that will complicate prices. I think the new stuff is R35 or some combo of it and R410.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary