Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2023, 05:39 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
While I agree. I think there are great life experiences gained by "debating" a teacher and countering a discussion with facts.

We had a mock debate in 8th grade World Studies. At the start of the debate on whether "The US should have dropped the Atomic Bomb" I was the only yes vote. During the debate I provided reasons for my position. By the end of the debate everyone but two of my classmates; who came from a culture of zero violence acceptance, had switched to yes.

My teacher wrote a letter to my parents saying how dangerous I was. That I was Hitler like in my ability to get "otherwise good people to believe awful things". My parents were honored. Not that I battled a teacher. But that I used logic and analysis to reach and defend a position.

I went to a highly ranked International Private MS/HS. I guess its unfair to expect a public school here to offer the same environment (sadly). And that MS/HS experience I wouldn't change for anything. Diversity of thought, and yes, critical analysis of that thought, are healthy things.

The irony of this story is the teacher in question, ended up being on the FBI most wanted list and was, at the time of his suicide, the most prolific child molester the FBI had ever seen (there is a guardian expose on him if you are so inclined to search for it and don't believe my anecdote).
Hah, wow. Yea, I dressed up as Hitler for a biographical report. The thing is, if you'd spoken in favor of bombing Japan today, you'd probably be called a racist. God knows if I ever ran for office, a picture of me dressed as Hitler in the 6 grade would make the rounds. That's my point is debates like that are getting harder and harder to have because they are seen as not inclusive and make people "unsafe." If you had a Japanese classmate, they'd go to the school's DEI officer, who is a bureaucrat who would raise a stink and make sure nobody involved in the debate ever bothered to do that again. I've seen this sort of thing play out with my own eyes. And so it actually hurts education because nobody would get to consider whether dropping the bomb on Japan was the least bad outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Well, I'm certainly not talking about Trump, but I would love to know more about these down ballot repubs worthy of consideration.

Trust me, I get whats at stake...our democracy. I'm voting, contributing, helping campaign for them, and holding public office.
Dale Folwell has been a really great treasurer.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, how do comparable cities run by loony repubs stack up?

Thanks!

Owen
Are there any? Does a Republican city exist?

Old 05-05-2023, 06:13 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
I'm curious, how do comparable cities run by loony repubs stack up?

Thanks!

Owen
Let's look at some numbers from 2019. Of the 100 most populous U.S. cities, 64 had Democratic mayors and 29 had Republican. Aggregate totals per 100,000 people for categories of crime by party affiliation of Mayor are as follows: murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault were 13.74, 63.55, 234.29 and 512.85 respectively for Democrat, and 5.43, 53.07, 106.15 and 290.54 respectively for Republican. You're welcome, Owen?

Old 05-05-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Are there any? Does a Republican city exist?
Apparently.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:28 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Let's look at some numbers from 2019. Of the 100 most populous U.S. cities, 64 had Democratic mayors and 29 had Republican. Aggregate totals per 100,000 people for categories of crime by party affiliation of Mayor are as follows: murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault were 13.74, 63.55, 234.29 and 512.85 respectively for Democrat, and 5.43, 53.07, 106.15 and 290.54 respectively for Republican. You're welcome, Owen?
Ummm, I guess you missed the word "comparable"? The largest city in the country (NYC) isn't remotely comparable to the 100th (Spokane).

Old 05-05-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Ummm, I guess you missed the word "comparable"? The largest city in the country (NYC) isn't remotely comparable to the 100th (Spokane).
These are the aggregate totals for the country's 100 largest cities according to FBI crime data. And the results are per capita. Per capita. Don't tell me: percentages don't matter, false narrative, alternative facts? Systemic racism, fake news, vast right wing conspiracy? Space aliens? Seriously, you've actually deluded yourself into believing your own foam finger blather. This is how democracy dies.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Discounting the largest 20 cities, the disparity is even more pronounced. And since so many are grouped so closely in population, aggregate per capita numbers offer us the most conclusive findings. And are you genuinely surprised? Tell it true. Why do you need so desperately to believe that "your side" alone holds a monopoly on truth and wisdom? That they alone are the defenders of democracy? It doesn't even pass the common sense test.

Last edited by TunedIn; 05-05-2023 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-06-2023, 06:05 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Discounting the largest 20 cities, the disparity is even more pronounced. And since so many are grouped so closely in population, aggregate per capita numbers offer us the most conclusive findings. And are you genuinely surprised? Tell it true. Why do you need so desperately to believe that "your side" alone holds a monopoly on truth and wisdom? That they alone are the defenders of democracy? It doesn't even pass the common sense test.
As you well know, you're putting words in my mouth and entirely making up my position. I don't "believe" any of those things. You're just hoping for a juvenile fight at your level but you won't get it from me.

Owen

Old 05-06-2023, 06:50 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Hah, wow. Yea, I dressed up as Hitler for a biographical report. The thing is, if you'd spoken in favor of bombing Japan today, you'd probably be called a racist. God knows if I ever ran for office, a picture of me dressed as Hitler in the 6 grade would make the rounds. That's my point is debates like that are getting harder and harder to have because they are seen as not inclusive and make people "unsafe." If you had a Japanese classmate, they'd go to the school's DEI officer, who is a bureaucrat who would raise a stink and make sure nobody involved in the debate ever bothered to do that again. I've seen this sort of thing play out with my own eyes. And so it actually hurts education because nobody would get to consider whether dropping the bomb on Japan was the least bad outcome.

Well there was nothing then or nothing now, racist about the position I was debating from.

There is a key difference however. The school I went to had kids from 92 countries represented at it. All the religions were represented. There were straight kids and non straight kids. Everyone checked their "cultural ego" at the door. No ones home country was better than someone else's. No ones religious beliefs were more important than someone else's. They were all equally respected and championed. Not because they were forced to, because that is organically how it happened. It was at its essence a "little bubble of the world" and everyone gravitated towards it. And yes one of my best friends from was Japan. He took no offense to the debate because it was understood the reasons I was stating my position from.

We didn't have DEI officers. We didn't need them. We were DEI at the core. All of us. We self regulated because we all wanted the feeling we felt about our experience to be shared feelings. There was a kid from Wyoming I went to school with who used a racial slur against a South Korean classmate during a soccer game at lunch. The teachers didn't have to get involved. There was no DEI officer that came in to police it. The kids did. And that's the difference.

For a country that is a melting pot, for whatever reason, subsets of our country resent differences. Religion is a weapon to be used. Ethnic heritage is something that is weaponized. People like to question my love for the US because of my upbringing and that I can speak critically about things we have done as a people in our history, while ignoring my ancestral roots on my mom's side go back to a time before the US was even a country. I was literally American before there was an America (again, in one line). They also forget that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I had the US "taken away" from me for 8 years. That time abroad made me appreciate things about the US far more than if I had never left (I got to see some real ass chit in my time overseas). Granted I am not saddened by that. My life was immensely richer as a result of the experience. But uncritical love doesn't exist. Anyone who is a parent or has parents knows that to be the case.

So maybe it gets back to the point you made a few pages back. What I experienced was organic. Sure it was forced; i.e. everyone I went to school with "had" to move to Jakarta. But while we all mostly came from somewhere else, and our parents all had their own cultural upbringings, we kids created our own culture from all of the cultures we had left. It just "happened". Here, DEI is "forced" in part because of our country's legacies. And that forcing causes resentment because people don't like being told what to do.

I find it all pretty weird, because the fear doesn't match the outcome (the outcome being a diverse experience I had). You just have to be willing to admit that in the grand scheme of things, the lines of a map you were born within don't make you one thing or the other. These lines aren't better than those lines. Its the quality of character, which exists beyond and within all the lines of the map, that creates righteousness.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary