Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2023, 02:46 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,065,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The big problem I have with Republicans is they pay lip service to the idea of less government interference in our lives but when the interference suits their agenda such as anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, etc. they trip all over themselves in their rush to legislate that interference. It's a working model of hypocrisy.
I was raised by two hard and fast Reagan Republicans. I labelled myself for most of my 20s as a Libertarian. Voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 along with Charlie Baker for Gov in MA.

With that preface out of the way....

That's a bingo right there. The culture war stuff makes me wanna puke. But I'm a Third Culture Kid, so I was never their target demo anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 05:01 PM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I was raised by two hard and fast Reagan Republicans. I labelled myself for most of my 20s as a Libertarian. Voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 along with Charlie Baker for Gov in MA.

With that preface out of the way....

That's a bingo right there. The culture war stuff makes me wanna puke. But I'm a Third Culture Kid, so I was never their target demo anyway.

I've just had enough of the two party finger pointing system, I long for a third party with a viable plan to destroy the current two parties, I think it's ridiculous to try and sell the nonsense there are only two solutions to any given problem.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've just had enough of the two party finger pointing system, I long for a third party with a viable plan to destroy the current two parties, I think it's ridiculous to try and sell the nonsense there are only two solutions to any given problem.

While I agree in principle; I for one would love two "biggish parties" and then a bunch of smaller parties, like we see in Europe, forcing coalitions to form and pass bills effectively, we won't ever get there. This current tribalism, whataboutism, power play, no compromise, doing nothing is option approach we take sucks.

However, Party Politics is huge business in this country and there is no moving away from that (seemingly). The 2020 election cost what, $15B in spending?

As I always say when it comes to numbers,

One Million seconds is 11 days.
One Billion seconds is 32 years.

Billions is just an order of magnitude larger. It creates its own momentum.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:29 AM

11,233 posts, read 8,328,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Having a talk with your kid about homosexuality is a lot different than having a discussion about images of a homosexual couple having oral sex with the assistance of a strap-on.
I don't recall seeing that in the Great Gatsby, and I didn't read the Color Purple, but I'll bet my paycheck it's not there either. So it seems you are standing up a straw man.

FWIW, I would agree that books with images as you've described are probably not appropriate for a public school library, but I really don't think that's what is (certainly not ALL) being discussed.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,295,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't recall seeing that in the Great Gatsby, and I didn't read the Color Purple, but I'll bet my paycheck it's not there either. So it seems you are standing up a straw man.

FWIW, I would agree that books with images as you've described are probably not appropriate for a public school library, but I really don't think that's what is (certainly not ALL) being discussed.
I thought we were discussing books that some people want removed from schools? In WCPSS, I’m not aware of anyone making a stink about any books other than those that are sexually explicit.

Old 05-04-2023, 06:45 AM

567 posts, read 959,558 times
Quote:
I thought we were discussing books that some people want removed from schools
There are no books in school libraries that are sexually explicit or with images of a homosexual couple having oral sex with the assistance of a strap-on. This is just another example of the latest culture war that conservatives are waging.

Old 05-04-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
There are no books in school libraries that are sexually explicit or with images of a homosexual couple having oral sex with the assistance of a strap-on. This is just another example of the latest culture war that conservatives are waging.
Incorrect.

https://www.wral.com/gender-*****-re...sion/20072136/

Old 05-04-2023, 07:07 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,214,272 times
Quote:
That article is about the public library. I don't think these books should be removed from the public library, though some consideration needs to be given to where and how they are displayed.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post

Based on what I could find online (and you know what they say about that) the book m378 mentioned has drawings of the following:

1. A used pad with blood in it -> sorry this isn't sexually explicit. If you have a daughter, don't be like my MiL and pretend that ish doesn't happen. My sister got her period in 5th grade....so not sure when you expect to discuss this one.

2. A Sports Bra...ummm did we turn into the F'ing Pilgrims?

3. A drawing of an ancient Greek mural showing two naked people. Given David is apparently sexually explicit, I'm guessing the same rule applies here (LOL).

4. A page talking about nothing penetrating lady parts (can't tell if this is in reference to tampons)

5. An egg style vibrator.

6. A discussion on grooming your lady parts. Again, people's mileage will vary. My wife and her friends had waxing parties in MS/HS.

7. The scene m378 described.

8. A discussion of "the bulge".

So my question goes back to what I said before. Is the theory this book is in an school library? Do you know what the middle schoolers in Heritage do? If you're curious head to Chic Fila after MS gets let out. It's basically a "train" in the restrooms. And I guarantee you that isn't unique to my neck of the woods.

I said to twingles eons ago (during a discussion about teachers discussing sexual identity). If a parent is such a square they can't have that convo with their kid, the idea one would think that discussion wouldn't come up is sorta asinine; be it at school, or an after school job or where ever. If parents are super upset about this stuff (in some cases, ok)....you sure AF better keep your kids off the internet and social media and they probably shouldn't have a phone.

And if you don't do that, then you're just being selectively outraged. This all reminds me of a couple of state legs that proposed banning yoga pants a few years back. The Taliban ain't got ish on some people.

It's like the scene in Field of Dreams

Nah, I think you had two 50s and jumped right into the 1970s

Old 05-04-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
That article is about the public library. I don't think these books should be removed from the public library, though some consideration needs to be given to where and how they are displayed.
My bad you're right.

According to someone at the board meeting this week, Gender ***** still exists at three WCPSS high schools. Obviously I have no way to confirm that.

Edit: Confirmed that it is at Panther Creek, didn't check the other two schools:

https://search.follettsoftware.com/metasearch/ui/81323

Labeled "Interest Level 11 - adult"

Last edited by m378; 05-04-2023 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary