Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2023, 01:19 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
No offense, but you are being intellectually dishonest here. I mentioned "children's libraries", not public libraries in my post -- I was referring to school libraries there. There shouldn't be any book removals from public libraries, that I agree with you on but we should be cautious what we allow impressionable children to take out from school libraries.
So, the Color Purple and Great Gatsby, both being banned by GOP legistlators should or should not be banned in school libraries?

I don't know about you, but Great Gatsby was required reading when I was growing up, and I'm still strait.

Schools in Florida have now removed dozens of book titles from shelves, including The Life of Rosa Parks and Who Is the Dalai Lama? as officials assess whether the material is appropriate for children.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/fe...k-banning-bill

Where do you stand on that?

Someone is being intellectually dishonest, but I don't think it's the person you are blaming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 01:49 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So, the Color Purple and Great Gatsby, both being banned by GOP legistlators should or should not be banned in school libraries?

I don't know about you, but Great Gatsby was required reading when I was growing up, and I'm still strait.

Schools in Florida have now removed dozens of book titles from shelves, including The Life of Rosa Parks and Who Is the Dalai Lama? as officials assess whether the material is appropriate for children.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/fe...k-banning-bill

Where do you stand on that?

Someone is being intellectually dishonest, but I don't think it's the person you are blaming...
This is exactly what I was talking about. Yes, if a book explicitly talking about bumping uglies is in my kids elementary library, ya, agreed, shouldn't be there.

But the ones about historical figures and events or ZOMG LGTBQ+ topics (hate to break it to y'all but little Suzy and Paulie probably are or already know someone in that community, so what are you protecting them from, exactly?), which aren't sexually explicit (there is a difference between sexuality and sexual) make sense in a middle school library (unless you think your middle schooler ain't flogging the bishop)

As for me.....
Read the Great Gatsby as an 8th grader (one of my favorite books ever)
Fahrenheit 451 - 8th grade
Beloved - 10th grade
The Things They Carried (perhaps my favorite book) - 10th Grade
Diary of Anne Frank - 7th grade
The Human Stain - 12th Grade
Huck Finn - 6th Grade
1984 and Animal Farm - 9th Grade
Lord of the Flies - 7th Grade

Oh and the one that goes up a certain segment of society's ass like a hot poker....Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States was my AP US History book. 11th grade

Old 05-03-2023, 01:59 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
The books that people are complaining about (in WCPSS at least) literally have pictures of sexual acts. I don't know that I've heard anyone at a WCPSS school board meeting complain about books with LGBTQ topics that aren't sexually explicit.

I think by now we've all heard about and seen the pictures in books like "Gender *****". These are the books that people are complaining about, and from what people are claiming, these books still exist in WCPSS libraries. If this is untrue then great, if not then I seriously question why everyone can't agree that these books shouldn't be on the shelf.

Again we're literally talking about a number of books that you can probably count on one hand. Just remove the books, stop trying to make a political statement.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:14 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The books that people are complaining about (in WCPSS at least) literally have pictures of sexual acts. I don't know that I've heard anyone at a WCPSS school board meeting complain about books with LGBTQ topics that aren't sexually explicit.

I think by now we've all heard about and seen the pictures in books like "Gender *****". These are the books that people are complaining about, and from what people are claiming, these books still exist in WCPSS libraries. If this is untrue then great, if not then I seriously question why everyone can't agree that these books shouldn't be on the shelf.

Again we're literally talking about a number of books that you can probably count on one hand. Just remove the books, stop trying to make a political statement.
It's funny, will city data not even let you post the word *****?

Last edited by BullCity75; 05-03-2023 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: haha it literally replaces the word with *****

Old 05-03-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
It's funny, will city data not even let you post the word *****?
Haha yeah I don’t get that

Old 05-03-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I don't know much about that book, in general. I've seen discussion of it obviously.

Assuming kids still take Health classes in 9th/10th grade (which could be a dangerous assumption) and get a general feel for "how all that works", I'm not sure I would have a problem with my HS aged kid reading it. Consider the source however, I watched Revenge of the Nerds with my dad and uncle's when I was 8 and Fast Times at Ridgemont High with my cousins the same year...so [shoulder shrug].

I would agree kids in Elementary/MS probably shouldn't be. But then again my daughter who is 8 was reading a book which touched on homosexuality (some kind of Comic book series).

She asked me questions about what the terms in the book she was reading meant at bed time, we had a talk about it and we moved on.

Granted, I told her and her brother last Weds that their mom and I are splitting up and I'm moving out. She was asking a ton of questions about what it all means. So maybe she's just mature for her age.

Last edited by GVoR; 05-03-2023 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-03-2023, 02:23 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Haha yeah I don’t get that
well, 5 minutes ago it was a homophobic slur. How is CD supposed to keep up?

Old 05-03-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I don't know much about that book, in general. I've seen discussion of it obviously.

Assuming kids still take Health classes in 9th/10th grade (which could be a dangerous assumption) and get a general feel for "how all that works", I'm not sure I would have a problem with my HS aged kid reading it.

I would agree kids in Elementary/MS probably shouldn't be. But then again my daughter who is 8 was reading a book which touched on homosexuality (some kind of Comic book series).

She asked me questions about what the terms in the book she was reading meant at bed time, we had a talk about it and we moved on.

Granted, I told her and her brother last Weds that their mom and I are splitting up and I'm moving out. She was asking a ton of questions about what it all means. So maybe she's just mature for her age.
Having a talk with your kid about homosexuality is a lot different than having a discussion about images of a homosexual couple having oral sex with the assistance of a strap-on.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Having a talk with your kid about homosexuality is a lot different than having a discussion about images of a homosexual couple having oral sex with the assistance of a strap-on.
I would agree.

You gotta wait for 8th grade and a search on al4a dot com for that subject

Old 05-03-2023, 02:40 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I thought Republicans said they would try to walk a fine line between conservative policies and also not trying to look NC look like it’s part of the backwards south? We lost a lot of business during the bathroom bill. Both sides market themselves as being friendly to big business and inviting them to the state.

If you start enough anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, anti-diversity BS, then they are back to where they started from. It will make NC not look like a purple state anymore, but a typical Bible-thumping state.

But maybe we need less people moving here……..

The big problem I have with Republicans is they pay lip service to the idea of less government interference in our lives but when the interference suits their agenda such as anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, etc. they trip all over themselves in their rush to legislate that interference. It's a working model of hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary