Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 12:44 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
What cuz only olds have potentially valuable inputs?

I am no fan of the Democratic Party. Leadership is ancient, where they pick to invest dollars makes no sense.

But the Boomers, regardless of party, need to get on getting on. For a generation of people who changed this country for the better in their 20s, they sure took up the "F U, I got mine" mantle right quick.

Gen Z will save us. My generation aint got the sack to do it.
Not impressed with what I've seen so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 12:46 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Not impressed with what I've seen so far.

On the issues? Ya that wasn't my point.

Book Bannings, school shootings, going after LGTBQ+ community members, women's rights etc have turned them on (engagement wise) unlike any generation in perhaps 100 years.

ETA - This is why you see money pouring into places like OH and WI where they are considering changing the rules how college campus voting works. When you have the platform, you speak it. When you have no platform, you steal the table.

Last edited by GVoR; 04-29-2023 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-29-2023, 01:07 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Democrats gerrymandered in NC for generations. The GOP has only been in control of two redistricting cycles in North Carolina since the reconstruction era; post 2010 Census and post 2020 Census. Thus, while North Carolina has become more competitive since the GWB years, the Democrat gerrymander was so effective that in 2010, despite this being a wave GOP year, the Dems actually won a majority of the US House seats in North Carolina, despite losing the popular vote by hundreds of thousands of votes and nearly 10% points: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_U...North_Carolina

Something tells me that the same folks now claiming that "democracy dies" in NC were completely fine with that outcome

Old 04-29-2023, 01:23 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Well no, the GOP rode into power on the red wave following the passage of the ACA. The built a new coalition that broke the back of the democratically gerrymandered districts.
That's one interpretation, but it's not the only one. It's not like the Republicans had a huge triumph in NC Congressional and statewide offices. Republicans gained only one NC seat in the US HofR in 2010, and that can be attributed mainly to the Bob Etheridge "Who are you?" debacle. (He lost by only 1500 votes.) Richard Burr was reelected -- he even carried Wake County (!) -- but most folks never gave Elaine Marshall much of a chance to begin with.

The real massacre was in the NC General Assembly where some Democratic incumbents lost by previously unimaginable margins. Hard to believe the ACA was a factor in those races when it didn't seem to make a comparable difference in the federal races.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
On the issues? Ya that wasn't my point.

Book Bannings, school shootings, going after LGTBQ+ community members, women's rights etc have turned them on (engagement wise) unlike any generation in perhaps 100 years.

ETA - This is why you see money pouring into places like OH and WI where they are considering changing the rules how college campus voting works. When you have the platform, you speak it. When you have no platform, you steal the table.
In the response to Cotham's party change. Seems odd to want to draw so much attention to it and extend the news cycle around it. They're going to fix her district so she can get re-elected, and if they don't, it will sort itself out. But their response was to protest it. It doesn't make any sense. They pissed off one of their own so bad, after a huge personal and family history in Democratic politics in NC, that she switched parties. And you want to call attention that? It's so emblematic to what's happening to the party.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
In the response to Cotham's party change. Seems odd to want to draw so much attention to it and extend the news cycle around it. They're going to fix her district so she can get re-elected, and if they don't, it will sort itself out. But their response was to protest it. It doesn't make any sense. They pissed off one of their own so bad, after a huge personal and family history in Democratic politics in NC, that she switched parties. And you want to call attention that? It's so emblematic to what's happening to the party.
Protesting….is literally the most American thing there is no?

Like we’re a country founded by a bunch of white dudes who protested not paying taxes to a King.

It’s our DNA (whether it’s effective or not is a different question)

ETA - I’m an American who grew up in a country controlled by a Right Wing Military Junta the CIA backed into power in the 1960s. So consider the source

Old 04-29-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Protesting….is literally the most American thing there is no?

Like we’re a country founded by a bunch of white dudes who protested not paying taxes to a King.

It’s our DNA (whether it’s effective or not is a different question)

ETA - I’m an American who grew up in a country controlled by a Right Wing Military Junta the CIA backed into power in the 1960s. So consider the source
Nobody's questioning their right to protest, but what's the wisdom here? Why extend the news cycle about them driving their own people away? She's not going to resign because they protest. They're just burning the bridge, any goodwill they still had. They could have just taken their lumps, respected her decision, and find a way to work together on important stuff going forward.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Nobody's questioning their right to protest, but what's the wisdom here? Why extend the news cycle about them driving their own people away? She's not going to resign because they protest. They're just burning the bridge, any goodwill they still had. They could have just taken their lumps, respected her decision, and find a way to work together on important stuff going forward.
I don’t disagree with your overall point. But this reaction isn’t all that dissimilar from what Sinema has and will face in AZ.

No one goes from Green Party activist to “courtsy thumbs down” without the people who voted you to represent them getting passionately upset that “something changed”.

I don’t know the background of Cotham (where on the spectrum she is politically) but I do know her district was pretty blue last election she won (if I’m recalling correctly)

You don’t go from that to allying with Tim Moore and Phil Berger (who are so notorious I had even heard of them long before I moved here six years ago) without people going What in the AF?

Old 04-29-2023, 02:02 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
With the allowance of full gerrymandering and restrictions on Voters, the GOP has moved NC out of the ‘Democracy’ column. Next I expect State Legislators to start attacking LGBT rights, abortion, and who knows what else.

Did we learn nothing from the bathroom bill fiasco which cost the state billions?

I’m a registered Republican, but a believer in Democracy. I will be switching to Independent and no longer voting for GOP candidates.
Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old 04-29-2023, 02:06 PM

233 posts, read 236,386 times
Companies have already invested billions in NC and are having trouble finding enough workers to fill all the new positions. I don't expect these decisions to cost the state anything near the costs incurred as a result of the bathroom bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary