Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2023, 09:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,148,515 times

Advertisements

There used to be a guy in Durham that took in old appliances. Fixed what he could and sold cheap. Stripped parts and took carcasses to the scrapyards. A free dump for your old stuff and some bargains for those in hard times.

I think he started out on East Club or East Geer, then later moved to a cross street between the 2. Last time I looked for his place, I couldn't find it. I took several items to him over the years. He provided a valuable service.

Does anyone here know of him? Is he still living, still doing stuff? People at Red Mill Exxon used to know him but not now. I hope to find him again or someone else like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 02:53 PM

75 posts, read 170,106 times
I've got a non-working dryer in my garage which i tried to fix on my own (drum didnt turn when you turn on the dryer) but i never found time and finally replaced it.
Was thinking of guys like this guy you describe if he wanted to buy it for repair/resell or parts.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:35 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,148,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
I've got a non-working dryer in my garage which i tried to fix on my own (drum didnt turn when you turn on the dryer) but i never found time and finally replaced it.
Was thinking of guys like this guy you describe if he wanted to buy it for repair/resell or parts.
Next best thing now is put an ad on Craigslist as a free item. I just did this with a washer/dryer. No response for a week, then 7 or 8 in one day. First responder came and got them.

Sadly, repair is an expensive business overall. I never did much on appliances, I was an electrician. But just going to a person's house costs money, opening up a dryer takes time, keeping any parts in stock is costly, ordering parts is costly and time consuming. Frustrating for the provider, frustrating for the customer who can nearly buy new for costs of 2 repairs. Further frustration when the new units don't last as long as the old ones. 10-20 years was not unusual in the past for some appliances. 5-10 seems to be the new norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: