Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 12:09 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors have invited us to the wedding of their son. They are both originally from India, but have lived in the US for decades. The son is their only child, the bride is not Indian. We are not all that friendly with the family, but I'm flat out thrilled to have the opportunity to experience what the invitation describes as a "Formal/Indian" wedding.

There is a one hour wedding at 4pm, followed by 1.5 hrs for cocktails, then a reception that ends at midnight. Everything will be at a local, nicer hotel.

Obviously, we are honored to be included, and want to respect the cultural protocols and traditions. Can anyone help with advice - what do we wear, gifts, other things I haven't even thought of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 05:18 PM

260 posts, read 638,081 times
https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-...indian-wedding

No boxed gifts. An envelope with Cash/Cheque is better.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:53 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,272 times
I wore a suit and tie to my sisters wedding, she married an Indian dude. She will get dressed up in Indian attire frequently for various events and her Indian husband will wear just regular American attire. It's really just what you are comfortable with. Over in India they had another ceremony and that was a whole different deal.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:33 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,421,734 times
The bride usually wears red so guests should avoid wearing this color. Not certain if this will be the case for this wedding since the bride is not Indian.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:50 PM

316 posts, read 181,714 times
Just don't mention you're rooting for the Pakistani cricket team and you'll be fine.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:00 PM

4,546 posts, read 3,748,556 times
You can get into the whole Indian outfit and have fun, but you can also just wear a suit and tie to all the events (to not worry about the outfit part) and just have fun observing the culture, events, dancing, drinking, eating, etc

Old 05-21-2023, 08:23 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
Just don't be like Elaine, and you will be fine.

https://youtu.be/mKJRIFlz4vg

Old 05-21-2023, 10:19 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,938,241 times
My "soon to be" son in law is Indian. I was really hoping that their wedding, even if not a totally traditional Indian wedding, would incorporate at least some of their traditions. However they are going with a typical American style wedding (but yet DD chose a European Villa style venue ) . My daughter did say that the Rehearsal Dinner that her future MIL is planning will be an Indian celebration. All I know so far is that we will all be in Indian attire. I'm looking forward to it.

As for gifts, I do know that money is preferred.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:10 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Our neighbors have invited us to the wedding of their son. They are both originally from India, but have lived in the US for decades. The son is their only child, the bride is not Indian. We are not all that friendly with the family, but I'm flat out thrilled to have the opportunity to experience what the invitation describes as a "Formal/Indian" wedding.

There is a one hour wedding at 4pm, followed by 1.5 hrs for cocktails, then a reception that ends at midnight. Everything will be at a local, nicer hotel.

Obviously, we are honored to be included, and want to respect the cultural protocols and traditions. Can anyone help with advice - what do we wear, gifts, other things I haven't even thought of?
An honor.
Dress nicely.
Smile and speak to people.
Observe.
Expect to see some lovely clothes, particularly on the women.
Be complimentary. "Such a lovely day. Such a lovely gathering."

All pretty generic, yes. But... people are people and generally enjoy other nice people.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 699 times
An Indian Muslim wedding is a beautiful and culturally rich celebration that combines religious rituals and traditional customs. Here are some key pieces of advice to consider for an Indian Muslim wedding and reception:

1. Understand the customs: Familiarize yourself with the customs and rituals involved in an Indian Muslim wedding. This includes the Mehndi ceremony, the Nikah (marriage contract) ceremony, and the Walima (wedding reception). Respect and honor these traditions while planning your wedding events.
2. Dress code: Follow the Islamic dress code guidelines and choose appropriate attire for each ceremony. For the Nikah, the bride traditionally wears a bridal hijab or dupatta, while the groom typically wears a sherwani or traditional Islamic attire. Ensure that guests are aware of any specific dress code requirements.
3. Halal food: Ensure that all the food served during the wedding and reception is Halal, adhering to Islamic dietary guidelines. Work closely with caterers to plan a menu that caters to the diverse preferences of your guests.
4. Separate spaces: Consider having separate spaces for men and women during certain parts of the wedding events, such as the Nikah ceremony. This allows for a more comfortable environment and aligns with Islamic traditions.
5. Maintain modesty: While celebrating, it is important to maintain modesty in attire, behavior, and interactions. This reflects the Islamic values and creates an atmosphere of respect and dignity.
6. Seek guidance: Consult with an Islamic scholar or a knowledgeable person in your community to ensure that the wedding ceremonies and customs are conducted according to Islamic principles.

Remember, an Indian Muslim wedding is a sacred union celebrated with joy and reverence. By embracing the traditions, customs, and values of Islam, you can create a meaningful and memorable wedding and reception that honors your faith and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: