Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 09:58 AM

180 posts, read 96,450 times

Advertisements

NCDMV is not clear on the process of junking a vehicle in NC. NC DMV representative told me the title transfer needs to be notarized. Company rep that buys junk cars (who after cat removal will in turn sell to scrap yard) tells me it does not and that if I want I can keep the title. There will be a bill of sale and all I need to do is turn the plate in to DMV. Not sure about having an "open" title for a vehicle that no longer exists.

This is a 26 year old vehicle that no longer runs properly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 10:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
NCDMV is not clear on the process of junking a vehicle in NC. NC DMV representative told me the title transfer needs to be notarized. Company rep that buys junk cars (who after cat removal will in turn sell to scrap yard) tells me it does not and that if I want I can keep the title. There will be a bill of sale and all I need to do is turn the plate in to DMV. Not sure about having an "open" title for a vehicle that no longer exists.

This is a 26 year old vehicle that no longer runs properly.
Just out of curiosity, could you remove the cat and still keep the car? Or do you think you might be able to sell them both as a package, and make a little money?

Old 06-06-2023, 11:49 AM

363 posts, read 225,072 times
What is wrong with your vehicle? You could sell it for more than the scrapyard will give you. The used vehicle market is down from its peak during the pandemic, but it is still up overall.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:52 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
If they are truly going to junk the car, then it shouldn't be an issue. However you could remove or ask them to remove the VIN plates to be safe.

You are right to be cautious, we do get claims from people who sold a car and the buyer never registers or insures it, and then the VIN trace comes back to them. I guess it is possible you get an unscrupulous employee who doesn't junk the car. Probably not likely, just keep a copy of the BOS.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:19 PM

180 posts, read 96,450 times
We effectively get some cash for the catalytic converter and scrap value. The company I contacted will pick the vehicle up, remove the cat and move the cat-less car on to the scrap yard.

This cash for junk cars company does have very good online reviews.

We thought about selling the vehicle but it needs a lot of work.....and the parts are not cheap. The car has well over 200K miles and we have been running it with next to no maintenance the last 3-4 years. Last week one cylinder decided to stop igniting gas, needs new brakes and suspension bits. If the car didn't have so much rust (many mid Atlantic winter miles) we would have stayed on top of the maintenance.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:57 PM

363 posts, read 225,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
We effectively get some cash for the catalytic converter and scrap value. The company I contacted will pick the vehicle up, remove the cat and move the cat-less car on to the scrap yard.

This cash for junk cars company does have very good online reviews.

We thought about selling the vehicle but it needs a lot of work.....and the parts are not cheap. The car has well over 200K miles and we have been running it with next to no maintenance the last 3-4 years. Last week one cylinder decided to stop igniting gas, needs new brakes and suspension bits. If the car didn't have so much rust (many mid Atlantic winter miles) we would have stayed on top of the maintenance.
Those winter miles definitely do a beating to cars. One of my cars lived in PA for 2 years and it rusted all the fuel and brake lines and suspension parts. Original owner was from Raleigh, moved to PA for 2 years, then moved back - 2 years was plenty of time for damage, but I've gotten all of that taken care of.

Depending on make and model, there's likely more value there than whatever the scrapyard will give. Maybe someone could use it as a parts car for something they're working on? It couldn't hurt to put it up on FB Marketplace; just add a few hundred dollars to whatever the recyclers were offering - shouldn't be hard to find a buyer.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:28 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
FYI from Wall Recycling
https://www.wallrecycling.com/auto-salvage/

Quote:
What You’ll Need

First, here’s what you’ll need when you bring your vehicle to one of our auto salvage yards:
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • The year, make, and model
  • Title and registration only if the vehicle is less than 10 model years old
What You DON’T Need

• No title or registration is required for cars or trucks 10 model years old or older!
  • No keys are needed!
  • The car does not need to run or drive

Old 06-08-2023, 05:43 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
I've taken cars to Martin's Auto Salvage and Jackson Auto Salvage, both on Poole Rd in Raleigh outside 540. Sometimes one made a better offer, sometimes the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary