Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 10:57 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
Aggressive panhandlers causing damage to occupied vehicles (subject of this thread) implies more than just knocking on a window. Once they break one of the windows, it can be considered invading a person's space.
I was referring to the OP’s experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 12:33 PM

466 posts, read 700,568 times
I had a panhandler knock on my window at the intersection of Raleigh Blvd and New Bern Avenue in east Raleigh before. I agree it's a bit much, but I gave them a shrug of the shoulders and said sorry without lowering my window, and he moved on quickly.

There's a number of panhandlers in that area but most of them are not aggressive.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:23 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
well, i am NOT recommending this option:

ammonia from redirected windshield washer nozzles.
ammonia is in Windex but this is higher strength.
the spray goes sideways toward the outside mirrors.
anyone at either of the side windows gets covered.

(used in Philly during the '90's...said my cousin)

Old 07-08-2023, 06:43 PM

363 posts, read 225,072 times
I was aggressively approached by a panhandler in Carrboro Plaza when I tried to go to the Dollar General. He walked up to my car and started yelling at me before I had even turned off the engine and radio. He continued to follow me into the store before being ran off by the clerk.

On the 4th of July a woman at McDonald's on capital was walking up to everyone demanding they buy her and her child food. She looked high and was visibly agitated when everyone told her no. I knew if I said yes it would be the beginning of a series of requests/demands and didn't want to go down that road.

Sad times we live in.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:43 PM

179 posts, read 151,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
I was aggressively approached by a panhandler in Carrboro Plaza when I tried to go to the Dollar General. He walked up to my car and started yelling at me before I had even turned off the engine and radio. He continued to follow me into the store before being ran off by the clerk.

On the 4th of July a woman at McDonald's on capital was walking up to everyone demanding they buy her and her child food. She looked high and was visibly agitated when everyone told her no. I knew if I said yes it would be the beginning of a series of requests/demands and didn't want to go down that road.

Sad times we live in.
Folks have been defending panhandlers here for as long as I can remember, trying to guilt anyone who doesn't coddle them and support the practice.

Is anyone surprised how it's turning out?

Old 07-08-2023, 11:11 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Folks have been defending panhandlers here for as long as I can remember, trying to guilt anyone who doesn't coddle them and support the practice.

Is anyone surprised how it's turning out?
Can you provide one quote or example of anyone here suggesting "coddling" of panhandlers or supporting the practice?

Old 07-09-2023, 07:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Can you provide one quote or example of anyone here suggesting "coddling" of panhandlers or supporting the practice?

"Here" could mean in this area (not necessarily CD).

The panhandlers and homeless are brought up quite frequently on my area of Nextdoor and those posts garner a lot of attention. The people that want the panhandling to stop get berated by others all the time.

While I feel sorry for the true homeless (not the scammers) I still won't give money to them. My husband has a brother that was a long time drug addict and there is no way that we are going to help possibly feed that addiction (and I know not all homeless are drug addicts but many at those camps are). Instead we have given out care packages, volunteered at Durham Rescue Mission and adopted families at Christmas.

There have been a couple times where we did give money though to people but those people never asked. One time we were eating in the parking lot of Burger fi and saw an elderly woman in/by her van. She was taking her eating utensils/dishes and washing them with water bottles she filled up at Burger Fi. Her van was filled with belongings. So we went over and started talking with her. She never once asked for money and even when I tried she refused. However when I left I just ran up to her van and left money in it along with our phone number. When I look back I often wonder if I offended her. I was just hoping to brighten her day with maybe a few nice meals, gas or other things that she may need.

No doubt it is a sad situation for those truly in need (and again not the scammers that don't want to work a real job and pay taxes). You have to wonder what got them to that point. Yes, many times it was their own stupid actions. I know when I was a teen I tried some drugs but thankfully hated the effects they had on me. And mental illness.....well when your local government cares more about parks than mental health then what do you (and I'm directing this at you) expect. And trying to get a person the real help they need is another issue because they can't be forced to.

And in regards to the scammers like the one that fakes a bad leg......they should be stopped/arrested.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:36 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
"Here" could mean in this area (not necessarily CD).

The panhandlers and homeless are brought up quite frequently on my area of Nextdoor and those posts garner a lot of attention. The people that want the panhandling to stop get berated by others all the time.

Yup, culminating with thoughts along the line of I don't care if I get scammed because helping people makes me feel good.

These people think they're getting a ticket to heaven while they actually make life difficult for others, but they never see it that way.

THis is sort of the reverse of the few times people have offered to buy my parents groceries while they are shopping which they are incredibly offended by. My parents take great pride in their self care abilities and wear nice clothes, shower every day, etc. There is NOTHING about their appearance that should lead anyone to believe that they need financial assistance. Last time it happened and my dad had said "no" twice the lady said "but it would make me happy to do it". So again we have a person who acts like they are trying to do a good deed but all they're really trying to do is make themselves look good (and especially in this day and age of social media I'm particularly sensitive to the idea of my parents ending up in some viral post they don't want to be a part of).

Old 07-09-2023, 02:00 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup, culminating with thoughts along the line of I don't care if I get scammed because helping people makes me feel good.

These people think they're getting a ticket to heaven while they actually make life difficult for others, but they never see it that way.

THis is sort of the reverse of the few times people have offered to buy my parents groceries while they are shopping which they are incredibly offended by. My parents take great pride in their self care abilities and wear nice clothes, shower every day, etc. There is NOTHING about their appearance that should lead anyone to believe that they need financial assistance. Last time it happened and my dad had said "no" twice the lady said "but it would make me happy to do it". So again we have a person who acts like they are trying to do a good deed but all they're really trying to do is make themselves look good (and especially in this day and age of social media I'm particularly sensitive to the idea of my parents ending up in some viral post they don't want to be a part of).
If they want to buy groceries so bad, they should donate to the food bank.

Old 07-09-2023, 02:48 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
well when your local government cares more about parks than mental health then what do you (and I'm directing this at you) expect.
Just a FYI...I meant I'm NOT directing this at you. Boy my typing skills keep getting worse and worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary