Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 03:19 PM

11,239 posts, read 8,334,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Folks have been defending panhandlers here for as long as I can remember, trying to guilt anyone who doesn't coddle them and support the practice.

Is anyone surprised how it's turning out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Can you provide one quote or example of anyone here suggesting "coddling" of panhandlers or supporting the practice?
I'm not sure if Skempter is making a partial observation or just being overly dramatic. I'll assume the best and go with the former (partial observation)

It is true that "people have been defending panhandlers here" (yeah, it has happened, but not the majority).

It is also true that people say things like "use deadly force" (in this thread is one example). Also happened, also not the majority.

MOST people "here" are saying something to the effect of "follow your own concious, but be a kind, decent human". To me, that means that if you want to give money away, that's your right, but for the most of us (me included), I don't think it's helpful, I think it's hurtful, and I choose to donate to charities that I know are making a difference.

But when a person is begging, they are typically in a bad situation. I don't know how they got there, and it really doesn't matter. I treat all humans with respect, and in this situation I usually just say "I'm sorry, I don't have anything" and I wish them well. My experience has been that they move on.

BTW, to whoever insuated that the police are "not doing their job", the main reason is that the police are underpaid, and therefore there is a shortage of police, so they probably can't respond to every little inconvenience.

If you think it's an issue, vote for whoever you think will do something to get them better funded. Obviously that's a sticky subject, one for a different forum. But you can still get out and vote for whoever YOU think will do the best. (Not implying you don't, BTW.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 04:28 PM

22,700 posts, read 36,895,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If they want to buy groceries so bad, they should donate to the food bank.
Right. But there's no feedback to that. There's no "WOW YOU'RE AN AMAZING HUMAN BEING". There's no posting on TikTok, etc - LOOK WHAT I DID!!!!

Why people are looking in the far reaches of West Cary to give groceries away says a lot about them, IMHO.

The only thing I'm going to add is no one forces anyone to do anything for a job. I'm underpaid in my job, but I stay for various reasons. If it gets to the point that it tips to not being worthwhile, I'll be out of there. No one can or will make me stay and that is true of any job. In 2023, it's really hard to say "I didn't know what I was getting into".

Old 07-10-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If they want to buy groceries so bad, they should donate to the food bank.
^^This. (couldn't rep you again...)

Old 07-10-2023, 07:51 AM

6,398 posts, read 5,525,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Right. But there's no feedback to that. There's no "WOW YOU'RE AN AMAZING HUMAN BEING". There's no posting on TikTok, etc - LOOK WHAT I DID!!!!

Why people are looking in the far reaches of West Cary to give groceries away says a lot about them, IMHO.

The only thing I'm going to add is no one forces anyone to do anything for a job. I'm underpaid in my job, but I stay for various reasons. If it gets to the point that it tips to not being worthwhile, I'll be out of there. No one can or will make me stay and that is true of any job. In 2023, it's really hard to say "I didn't know what I was getting into".
No doubt that quite a few of those "look at how good of a person I am" tiktoks are completely staged and the "homeless person" sitting on the curb is the "influencers" friend or a passerby they paid for the gig.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:41 AM

342 posts, read 300,104 times
Yeah if they break your window, you can shoot them in NC, BUT remember lawyers aren't cheap and it could cost you 100k dollars just to prove you were within your rights.

So just roll down the window when they start banging on it, punch them in the face and drive off

Old 07-10-2023, 11:04 AM

243 posts, read 244,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Yeah if they break your window, you can shoot them in NC, BUT remember lawyers aren't cheap and it could cost you 100k dollars just to prove you were within your rights.

So just roll down the window when they start banging on it, punch them in the face and drive off
Dashcam + CCW insurance will take care of the lawyer/cost/proof issue. Realistically speaking none of them will be dumb enough to break into an occupied vehicle around here... maybe SF or NYC.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post

Good grief, as Beufort T. Justice would say, ironically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IY0sxSbh4Y

Old 07-10-2023, 06:36 PM

4,182 posts, read 4,900,605 times
Some of these panhandlers are young strong able-bodied men and if they have enough stamina to walk in traffic collecting money on a hot day then they should be able to find legit work. If they were offered a real paying job I doubt they would take it and I've seen them work all corners of an intersection as if they're working as a group. Many years ago I got burned after helping someone out only to find out later that they were buying drugs with the money so now I'm gun shy. There are churches, food banks, and local social programs to help those who are truly in need.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:35 AM

16,432 posts, read 12,571,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Some of these panhandlers are young strong able-bodied men and if they have enough stamina to walk in traffic collecting money on a hot day then they should be able to find legit work.

In fairness, it's very difficult to get legit work without a mailing address or a bank account.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Some of these panhandlers are young strong able-bodied men and if they have enough stamina to walk in traffic collecting money on a hot day then they should be able to find legit work. If they were offered a real paying job I doubt they would take it and I've seen them work all corners of an intersection as if they're working as a group. Many years ago I got burned after helping someone out only to find out later that they were buying drugs with the money so now I'm gun shy. There are churches, food banks, and local social programs to help those who are truly in need.
Agree with all of this, and I typically don't hand out money for those reasons. (I've even offered to buy a sandwich and got yelled at. I just moved on.)

Still not in favor of shooting them in the face because they annoy me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary