Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 12:03 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why is tap to pay so important? I get the convenience factor, but is that enough of an issue to influence where you get your gas? (Greater than price, quality, ease of access, etc.?)

This is not to "call you out" or imply it's a bad decision, just genuinely asking if there are some other benefits (security perhaps?) I'm not thinking of.

FWIW, Costco is "tap to pay", but I think you have to still insert the card first, to confirm you are a member, so that kinda negates it. And while the gas is cheap, and quality is good, it certainly is anything but convenient to fill up there unless you do it at 7am.
Tap card is more secure. I’ve had my card skimmed and don’t wish to deal with that again. And yes. I most certainly absolutely positively will take my business to a company that supports tap cards or Apple Pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 12:21 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Tap card is more secure. I’ve had my card skimmed and don’t wish to deal with that again. And yes. I most certainly absolutely positively will take my business to a company that supports tap cards or Apple Pay.
That makes sense. (I had a feeling it was not just about convenience, hence my question)

Thanks,

Old 07-22-2023, 08:08 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
In addition to tap to pay, certain gas stations allow to pay via the app which is still a lot more secure than a physical card. Circle-K has EasyPay, BP has the BP app, Sams Club has the pay and go feature. There's probably more but those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.
Easy Pay requires a physical card. I can't find a way to pay via the app, am I missing something?

Old 08-28-2023, 05:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
Just used tap and pay at the Sheetz on 751 in Durham. It was a Sheetz credit card if that makes a difference.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:34 PM

361 posts, read 223,159 times
I think most Circle K's use tap to pay. I don't use Apple or Google Pay so I cannot comment on that functionality. I use the tap option for both convenience, and because card skimmers were found at the Carrboro Plaza Circle K/Mobil station (and many other places).

If you don't have the option of tap to pay then use a credit card as opposed to a debit card, or pay cash.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:03 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
I just returned from a two-week road trip through NC, TN, KY, OH, WV, and Virginia. There were some gas stations that did have tap to pay but most did not. I think part of the issue is that the pumps have to be retrofitted to support it as well as whatever payment processing system they use. The newer recently built gas stations have it but it will take time and financial investment to retrofit the older gas stations and pumps. A few stations did have signs saying tap to pay was "coming soon".

Old 08-28-2023, 06:08 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why is tap to pay so important? I get the convenience factor, but is that enough of an issue to influence where you get your gas? (Greater than price, quality, ease of access, etc.?)

This is not to "call you out" or imply it's a bad decision, just genuinely asking if there are some other benefits (security perhaps?) I'm not thinking of.

FWIW, Costco is "tap to pay", but I think you have to still insert the card first, to confirm you are a member, so that kinda negates it. And while the gas is cheap, and quality is good, it certainly is anything but convenient to fill up there unless you do it at 7am.
OP already answered, but its significantly "safer". There is no CC info transferred, just a one time code - so - nothing to steal. Merchants don't ever have access to your CC# to keep on file, either. While (I personally) don't think its worth seeking out stations specifically, its definability worth it to use the service when available.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:10 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
The only annoying thing to me is that I use the Upside app to get some extra cash back on gas purchases and you have to manually upload your bank statement to prove the purchase if you don't swipe the card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary