Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:14 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times

Advertisements

We've got both AT&T and Sprint. Once my wife's Sprint contract runs out, we'll switch her to AT&T too. (She doesn't know it yet, but she's getting an iPhone! Shhhh!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I always heard Alltel was the best carrier in the mountains, but as far as the Triangle I believe Verizon and Sprint are pretty popular.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:20 PM

98 posts, read 511,968 times
Personally, I've had Alltel. If you travel a lot, like I do, Alltel has great reception (and really good deals too). I used to have Nextel, they are kind of a rip off. I did hear AT&T is really good but I wouldn't know.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
If you're question is which one is most popular, as you can tell, it's a pretty tough call between alltel, at&t, and verizon.

I personally carry alltel and verizon (thanks to work), and use to have at&t, but would recommend alltel as the best. None of those are poor options, but I've noticed with alltel that I can make calls in several more places that I've never been able to with anybody else and the signal tends not to fade as much indoors and is usually very good. The triangle is covered very well, including the 3 main campuses here (which I assume you're considering), as are many other rural areas in NC. I also get a lot fewer dropped calls and with alltel and their data network is completely upgraded to high-speed 3G here. The plans also compare favorably to the others because there are a lot of options for cell providers here, and alltel has My Circle so it doesn't matter if your friends are on your network or not, you still get unlimited calling to who you want in addition to everybody on alltel.

Last edited by Trevor92; 06-02-2008 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: re-wording to sound better

Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
We have Verizon and when traveling off the beaten track there have been
alot of times that frineds had to borrow our phone because it was the only
one with service.
Only dead zone seems to be inside the malls and inside Walmart.
We do 1/2 our talking to other Verizon phones which are "free"
minutes.

Lets all switch to Verizon and we'll all be "in calling" and not need as many minutes

Old 06-03-2008, 05:36 AM

145 posts, read 664,082 times
Another vote for Verizon, I have been with them for over 13 years - back when they used to be Cellular One and I had a bag phone, those were the days, lol.

My husband and all of his family went with them too, that way it's free to talk to everyone anytime as you are in the network, it's great, plus my husband has the High Speed Internet card for his laptop so he can go online anytime, anywhere and email / internet on his MotoQ which he loves, needless to say our cell bill is over $300 a month which is ridiculous in my mind, but we have to have 3000 shared Minutes and he wants all the technology....

Cindy G

Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 17,449 times
We use AT&T. The coverage is pretty good - even in outer edge areas.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I have AT&T (former Cingular, formerly AT&T). I have been a customer with this carrier since the analog phone days...very satisfied with AT&T.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyInRaleighNC View Post
....needless to say our cell bill is over $300 a month which is ridiculous in my mind, but we have to have 3000 shared Minutes and he wants all the technology....
Wow... that is high. That's one of the main reason why I went with alltel for my personal line over Verizon and pay right at $150/month with 4 lines, a smartphone with unlimited data, and all lines with unlimited texting, alltel-to-alltel calling, and nights starting at 7. If I added a data card it would put me a little over $200/month. My work line through Verizon never did a bad job with coverage, but you have to have a lot of minutes, like 3,000 if you do a lot of calling or have 4 or 5 lines like I do. That's why alltel's my circle is so valuable, at least to me. My 4 lines usually use over 12,000 total mins/month, but I only pay for 1,200 minutes because of the unlimited calling to the circle.

With the coverage, alltel and Verizon roam for free off of each other if you ever lose a signal from your own provider so the footprint is remarkably similar in rural areas. And they're both very good in the Triangle with alltel being a little better in a few more places in my side-by-side comparisons. I guess I just wouldn't think it is wisest to pay more for Verizon with about the same level of service you can get for much less elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary