Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times

Advertisements

I'd ask her to confirm in writing that you have no obligation to her based on the property she showed you. Then find a better agent.

That condo might be a very poor choice based on condition and the fact that there may be a lot of absentee ownership in the condo. This can be very bad if poor tenants are chosen and the owners try to be very stingy approving maintenance by the association.

If Chapel Hill is too costly, might rent or broaden the search.

Good luck, Grace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Grace View Post
Tell her I want to slow down and ask her upfront if she would prefer not to work with a first time home buyer.
Grace, I think you may have hit on a tactful way of opting out. That said, you are right to wonder about the verbal contract, albeit it the fact that you haven't signed anything helps at this point. Perhaps Mike can chime in on that point also. As you can see, there are good agents out there and Mike is one example (as a Real Estate Agent he has offered you some very good explanations and pointers). Take heart--we are all on a learning curve of some kind, and by posting here you may have helped others as well.
Another point--do expand your scope perhaps a bit. Chapel Hill is expensive, but there are other areas that would fit your budget including areas in Orange County, or perhaps even Chatham Co. Some of which may even still be in the CHCCS district. A good buyers' agent should help steer you in the right direction for both your budget and your desires. Make sure if you ever do sign any agents' contract that there is an "out" clause (including time limitations or something).

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 PM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Without a signed agency agreement, there is no Buyers' Agency contract, and Grace is not tied to anyone.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Without a signed agency agreement, there is no Buyers' Agency contract, and Grace is not tied to anyone.
There you have it Grace. You can part ways guilt (and worry) free.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 PM

12 posts, read 29,529 times
Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate the thoughtful replies.

My agent still hasn't called and now I'm worried that something might have happened to prevent her from contacting me. I think I will wait to decide what to do once I get her call.

We've all had times where emergencies have prevented us from responding in the way we'd like, so I'd like to talk to her first.

It makes a difference to know that I can leave guilt-free though! Whew! What a blessing.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't see any great harm, but it might be better if you keep that to yourself until you engage an agent.
The less said the better is often true.
Agreed! A real estate broker is obliged to explain agency (and both provide and explain the brochure, Working with Real Estate Agents) at first substantial contact. That is, before you've revealed any confidential information, the broker should explain exactly where all parties stand.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
Grace you sound like a really sweet person to care about your agent like that. I hope she in return treats you well. Good luck with all of this. I know it can be trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Grace View Post
Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate the thoughtful replies.

My agent still hasn't called and now I'm worried that something might have happened to prevent her from contacting me. I think I will wait to decide what to do once I get her call.

We've all had times where emergencies have prevented us from responding in the way we'd like, so I'd like to talk to her first.

It makes a difference to know that I can leave guilt-free though! Whew! What a blessing.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times
I thought this article was interesting, Exclusive versus Non-Exclusive Buyer's Agent Agreement - Searchlight Crusade.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 AM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
It is a California-perspective article.
The issues he raises are a little tangential to the OP's needs, and a little out of touch with NC agreements.
And I use both Non-exclusive and Exclusive agreements.
There are several points in the Exclusive agreement that are not considered in the Non-Exclusive agreement, some protecting the Buyer, some notifying the Buyer.
And the right to unilaterally terminate either agreement should be discussed when the agreements are presented.

I also find it sadly interesting that the blogger thinks he would work harder as a non-exclusive agent than as an exclusive agent.
That is a sorry ethical and service orientation, to say the least.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 AM

353 posts, read 1,367,097 times
I would suggest you find another agent. You are not tied to this agent since you didn't sign anything it is obvious that this agent is not the most ethical. I personally would not want an agent that did nothing for me and may possibly be working against me to get one dime in brokerage fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary