Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 03:51 PM

948 posts, read 799,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That was written in 2021 - much has changed since.
Maybe. A lot of trends, including staffing difficulties at FF restaurants, haven't changed much.

Quote:
we all know the restaurant industry as a whole has been hit hard by staffing issues and “wage increases”.
Except that full service restaurants haven't had to raise wages for tipped employees. Its a significant difference in business model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 06:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,343,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Maybe. A lot of trends, including staffing difficulties at FF restaurants, haven't changed much.

Except that full service restaurants haven't had to raise wages for tipped employees. Its a significant difference in business model.
But tips increase due to increased menu prices.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:22 PM

948 posts, read 799,339 times
Quote:
But tips increase due to increased menu prices.
I'm sorry, I don't understand the significance of that. Customers pay tips, not the restaurant owner. Thus, labor costs for restaurants without tipped employees have increased more than those restaurants with tipped employees, which is a likely explanation for the shrinking of the price differential between the two types of restaurants.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:18 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,573,553 times
Quote:
A cheeseburger with fries and a non alcoholic drink is 12.99 + tax + tip at Applebees.

A quarter pounder meal at Mickey d’s is 9.19 + tax.

That’s a significant difference especially if you’ve got several people to feed.
On the 3 for me menu at Chili's, there are 3 burgers/chicken sandwiches for 10.99 which includes appetizer + drink + half pound burger + side. Yes you need to pay tax and tip, but that still makes it only slightly more expensive than ordering a Double quarter pounder with cheese combo for a much different dining experience and an appetizer. Plus you can order alcohol if you want to. Prior to the pandemic, this was the 3 for 10 menu (which had lots more offerings) but what was a large sandwich combo at McDonalds then, $6-7.

Old 08-27-2023, 05:15 AM

43,556 posts, read 77,662,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
On the 3 for me menu at Chili's, there are 3 burgers/chicken sandwiches for 10.99 which includes appetizer + drink + half pound burger + side. Yes you need to pay tax and tip, but that still makes it only slightly more expensive than ordering a Double quarter pounder with cheese combo for a much different dining experience and an appetizer. Plus you can order alcohol if you want to. Prior to the pandemic, this was the 3 for 10 menu (which had lots more offerings) but what was a large sandwich combo at McDonalds then, $6-7.

Chili's 3/10 makes a heckuva lunch deal.

Old 08-27-2023, 06:16 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,061,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Applebee's is using real beef while McDonald's has admitted to a proprietary blend of god knows what, so in reality you don't know exactly what you're getting.
This is a proprietary blend ?

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/faq/burgers.html

"Every one of our McDonald's burgers is made with 100% pure beef and cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else—no fillers, no additives, no preservatives. "

Old 08-27-2023, 07:03 AM

17,719 posts, read 22,496,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Fast food places are pricing themselves out of business, but people are also making healthier food choices and fast food is anything but healthy.
and Arby's is an acquired taste (mystery meat sandwiches with liquid cheese)

Margins have also been slashed due to inflation/higher wages. I had a steak house operator tell me pre-Covid if you could make 10% net you were a superstar in the restaurant industry! This was a high end steakhouse, huge wine list, should have been a huge margin place.

6 months later they closed and subleased the property to another steakhouse.

Old 08-27-2023, 07:07 AM

17,719 posts, read 22,496,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand the significance of that. Customers pay tips, not the restaurant owner. Thus, labor costs for restaurants without tipped employees have increased more than those restaurants with tipped employees, which is a likely explanation for the shrinking of the price differential between the two types of restaurants.
I was in Seattle 2 weeks ago. Ice cream place, had a sign up that they don't accept tips/ our employees are paid a fair wage/everyone makes atleast $21 an hour. So its a scoop place, not really a sit down/ nothing on the menu but ice cream (no food). Everybody seemed happy to work there, so 4 single scoop cones/no toppings:

$36!

I was visiting, ice cream was good but I would not be a regular for $9 cones.

It's math folks, can't have cheap food and high wages!

Old 08-29-2023, 05:06 AM

564 posts, read 1,054,026 times
That's a great point. It's hard getting in and out of that whole corner whether going to Taco Bell, Pizza Hut or the many auto related services from Hwy 54.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:49 AM

11,249 posts, read 8,378,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I was in Seattle 2 weeks ago. Ice cream place, had a sign up that they don't accept tips/ our employees are paid a fair wage/everyone makes atleast $21 an hour. So its a scoop place, not really a sit down/ nothing on the menu but ice cream (no food). Everybody seemed happy to work there, so 4 single scoop cones/no toppings:

$36!

I was visiting, ice cream was good but I would not be a regular for $9 cones.

It's math folks, can't have cheap food and high wages!
Pretty sure that if you go to a private, locally owned, made in house kind of place here in NC, four scoops is going to be in the $24-$30 range, so that is not as out of the ordinary as one would think. Seattle has a higher cost of living than anywhere in NC.

Also, the reason that restaurants have staffing issues is because they have not responded to the need to pay higher wages as much as other industries have, along with a whole host of other issues like affordable housing, etc. It's simple supply and demand, or as you would say "math folks". (I am agreeing with you, just to be clear.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary