Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 10:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

These are the type of news stories that makes me angry on so many levels. As tragic as the shooting was, there were probably a long list of dominos that toppled long before the gunshots were fired. I'll leave it here because I've already said more than I had originally intended.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:13 AM

10,721 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
The news reporting really isn't the issue. The issue is that obtaining a gun is easy for anyone to do.
No, that’s not the issue. Prior to 1968, it was perfectly legal for teenagers to buy guns, both handguns and long guns, and they could do make those purchases at their local hardware store, or through mail order.

Lots of things have changed since 1968 that have contributed to teen violent crime, but the ability to easily acquire a firearm isn’t one of them.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:28 AM

7,075 posts, read 12,344,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, that’s not the issue. Prior to 1968, it was perfectly legal for teenagers to buy guns, both handguns and long guns, and they could do make those purchases at their local hardware store, or through mail order.

Lots of things have changed since 1968 that have contributed to teen violent crime, but the ability to easily acquire a firearm isn’t one of them.
Without getting political, guns are a problem. They are. Why? Because we live in a society full of people who aren't responsible enough to have a gun. It's the same reason why seatbelts are the law. It's not because everyone drives irresponsibly. It's because there's enough people who drive irresponsibly so now EVERYONE must drive with a seatbelt. And for the record, a US president was shot to death in the 1960s so that's just a terrible reference point in time for your argument......

Old 09-09-2023, 11:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
I agree that guns are a problem but taking them off the streets just isn’t realistic with the technology we have today. The real question is why do so many people lack the conscience to determine that shooting someone over a cell phone is wrong? How do we change that mentality?

Old 09-09-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Without getting political, guns are a problem.
This is what you said, and what I responded to:

Quote:
The news reporting really isn't the issue. The issue is that obtaining a gun is easy for anyone to do.
In case you didn’t understand my argument, I’ll make it easier for you to understand - it was easier for everyone, including teens, to acquire guns prior to 1968. That easy availability of guns, which you claim is The Issue today, wasn’t the issue back then. Other things have changed between then and now that have served to increase the violent crime rate, but guns are harder to get, not easier. Easy availability isn’t “The Issue.”

Quote:
They are. Why? Because we live in a society full of people who aren't responsible enough to have a gun. It's the same reason why seatbelts are the law. It's not because everyone drives irresponsibly. It's because there's enough people who drive irresponsibly so now EVERYONE must drive with a seatbelt. And for the record, a US president was shot to death in the 1960s so that's just a terrible reference point in time for your argument......
Yes, I’m very familiar with the Kennedy assassination. The “Reference point” for my argument was that was the date when the Gun Control Act of 1968 was passed. Get it, or do I need to explain further?

Old 09-09-2023, 02:52 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I agree that guns are a problem but taking them off the streets just isn’t realistic with the technology we have today. The real question is why do so many people lack the conscience to determine that shooting someone over a cell phone is wrong? How do we change that mentality?

No reply necessary, needed or wanted:

The real question is why you cannot EVER post something that isn't negative. And if you dislike and/or as afraid of the Triangle as you sound, repeatedly, you should move.

Anyway, after the first 5-6 replies, the thread should be taken to the philosophy forum. Or political forum. Come to think of it, that's happens with nearly all of the threads you start, m378.

You need to find a some joy in your life. Or change your antidepressants.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-09-2023 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-09-2023, 08:39 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
The news reporting really isn't the issue. The issue is that obtaining a gun is easy for anyone to do. And for the record, there are neighborhoods in our state with multiple gunshots everyday and most of these incidents don't ever make it onto the news.

When I hear about incidents such as this one; it makes me cringe a little because there are SEVERAL risk factors at play....

✓ Low household income
✓ Mother is the head of household (father absent)
✓ Sexually active teens (I'm talking under 15 years old)
✓ Teen drug usage
✓ Teen alcohol consumption
✓ Academic struggles

There's a lot more, but I'm trying my best to keep my thoughts politically correct here.

What I will say is that I'm a 43 year old black male who grew up in a predominantly black low income public housing complex in Charlotte. Against all odds, I'm now the owner of a small 4 truck fleet of 18 wheelers. There are peers of mine (who still live in my former "hood" of South Side Homes) who are scared to death that the gentrification monster (aka South End's rapid growth) is about to price them out with $800,000 townhomes.

When we (my peers and I) were teens, I was taking school seriously; they were skipping and getting high. When I vowed to marry the person that I began to have sex with; they were making babies with multiple girls. Today, my wife and I can afford two of those $800,000 townhouses that my peers are so nervous about. It's a good thing that cell phones weren't a thing back in my day, because I have peers who would have fired shots over a girl and a stupid phone.

What we're up against when it comes to youth violence is cultural. By cultural, I don't mean that one race of humans are doing these types of crimes. I just know that low income predominantly black neighborhoods (like the one that I grew up in) has indeed "normalized" dealing with their problems by any means necessary (including deadly force). By the age of 13, I already knew that getting into a simple youth fight could result in my mother's apartment being shot up; so I learned to walk away or run away with my mouth shut. People who have little (and I mean generationally have little) have a tendency not to value their lives or the lives of others. This is true of any ethnicity of human being.

So with all of that context out of the way, seeing this news story and the black mother (with no mentioning of the father/husband) on camera made me want to cry. Before there ever was a shooting towards her daughter, where was the father figure who was supposed to be teaching "his little princess" how to choose the right type of young man? Assuming that the father is indeed absent, why is that the case? Is he dead, is he a deadbeat, or is he a good father who is doing well and his bitter EX is withholding his daughter from him (while also brainwashing her against him)? And are the courts going to give him custody of that girl now that she has been shot at in the mother's care?

These are the type of news stories that makes me angry on so many levels. As tragic as the shooting was, there were probably a long list of dominos that toppled long before the gunshots were fired. I'll leave it here because I've already said more than I had originally intended.
Excellent post. Worth quoting, in it's entirety.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:17 AM

316 posts, read 180,878 times
Quote:
Without getting political, guns are a problem. They are. Why? Because we live in a society full of people who aren't responsible enough to have a gun. It's the same reason why seatbelts are the law. It's not because everyone drives irresponsibly. It's because there's enough people who drive irresponsibly so now EVERYONE must drive with a seatbelt. And for the record, a US president was shot to death in the 1960s so that's just a terrible reference point in time for your argument......

There are also lots of people who aren't responsible enough to have kids. Shall we pass a law prohibiting kids now?

Old 09-10-2023, 08:15 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,746,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
There are also lots of people who aren't responsible enough to have kids. Shall we pass a law prohibiting kids now?

We all know what you're getting at, and I bet you advocate to ban trucks also.

But one thing is for sure, when I'm walking in Japan late at night or in their shady areas, I'm not afraid of someone pulling out a gun and spraying me randomly with bullets. But in America these days, that's definitely a possibility. And not just me, but my kids at school also - ridiculous!

Old 09-10-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
We all know what you're getting at, and I bet you advocate to ban trucks also.

But one thing is for sure, when I'm walking in Japan late at night or in their shady areas, I'm not afraid of someone pulling out a gun and spraying me randomly with bullets. But in America these days, that's definitely a possibility. And not just me, but my kids at school also - ridiculous!
In 2021, there were approximately 21,000 firearms murders, and 35,000 injuries from intentional shootings by others. These are the dangers that you listed above - specifically being targeted by a bad guy with a gun.

In the same year, there were 47,000 deaths and 5.4 million injuries in automobiles. Why don’t you and your children fear the greater likelihood of motor vehicle death and injury?

When one controls for various other factors in the gun death/injury statistics, it’s easy to see that what you described fearing, a random shooting on the street or a school shooting (or other random mass shooting), those are exceptionally rare events. Most gun violence is inner city, gang related, specifically black on black, and or related to the drug trade. Most people will be able to avoid that with little effort.

If you truly are concerned about death or injury to yourself and your children, rather than demonizing the icky, scary guns, you would rationally be much more concerned about motor vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary