Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 06:28 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times

Advertisements

…in Lochmere:

https://www.wral.com/story/on-cam-mu...irls/21037190/

The crazy thing is this happened on Monday and somehow it’s just making news. Why is stuff like this not a big deal? Why’d it take the mother speaking out to make the news?

We cannot normalize these kind of things.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:47 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Since your issues are with news reporting, I suggest you contact WRAL and ask your questions.
And, then WTVD, WLFL.

We all know that local news reporting is woefully pathetic.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:11 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,730 times
It was covered several days ago. It's just that more information and video has surfaced since then.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It was covered several days ago. It's just that more information and video has surfaced since then.
Do you have a link? I couldn’t find anything before yesterday.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:41 AM

The WRAL link you posted was originally from Thursday morning, but it was light on details, just two juveniles involved in a shots fired, no injuries. It's been updated several times since then.

Feel like I saw coverage elsewhere, but don't immediately see it.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
The WRAL link you posted was originally from Thursday morning, but it was light on details, just two juveniles involved in a shots fired, no injuries. It's been updated several times since then.

Feel like I saw coverage elsewhere, but don't immediately see it.
Kids shooting 9 rounds at other kids should be big news, not a three days later type of story.

I see nothing on the other local news channels.

Last edited by m378; 09-09-2023 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-09-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Kids shooting 9 rounds at other kids should be big news, not a three days later type of story.
That information wasn't initially available. More people have since come forward to discuss what happened and video has surfaced. Now it's big news.

But yes, local news has suffered greatly. I'm currently looking at the N&O front page with a fairly prominent "Is Publix Open on Labor Day This Year?" story right next to a week-old "Riverdale’s Madelaine Petsch and More Stars Host Blowout B-Days for Pets" story.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That information wasn't initially available. More people have since come forward to discuss what happened and video has surfaced. Now it's big news.
You’re telling me no neighbors in an apartment complex in Cary told police there were several rounds fired? The police didn’t know they were all juveniles?

It’s not big news now, only WRAL is reporting it.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:18 AM

I don't know, man. Go apply for a crime beat job with WTVD or WNCN and see what you can dig up.

Old 09-09-2023, 10:08 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,344,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
…in Lochmere:

https://www.wral.com/story/on-cam-mu...irls/21037190/

The crazy thing is this happened on Monday and somehow it’s just making news. Why is stuff like this not a big deal? Why’d it take the mother speaking out to make the news?

We cannot normalize these kind of things.
The news reporting really isn't the issue. The issue is that obtaining a gun is easy for anyone to do. And for the record, there are neighborhoods in our state with multiple gunshots everyday and most of these incidents don't ever make it onto the news.

When I hear about incidents such as this one; it makes me cringe a little because there are SEVERAL risk factors at play....

✓ Low household income
✓ Mother is the head of household (father absent)
✓ Sexually active teens (I'm talking under 15 years old)
✓ Teen drug usage
✓ Teen alcohol consumption
✓ Academic struggles

There's a lot more, but I'm trying my best to keep my thoughts politically correct here.

What I will say is that I'm a 43 year old black male who grew up in a predominantly black low income public housing complex in Charlotte. Against all odds, I'm now the owner of a small 4 truck fleet of 18 wheelers. There are peers of mine (who still live in my former "hood" of South Side Homes) who are scared to death that the gentrification monster (aka South End's rapid growth) is about to price them out with $800,000 townhomes.

When we (my peers and I) were teens, I was taking school seriously; they were skipping and getting high. When I vowed to marry the person that I began to have sex with; they were making babies with multiple girls. Today, my wife and I can afford two of those $800,000 townhouses that my peers are so nervous about. It's a good thing that cell phones weren't a thing back in my day, because I have peers who would have fired shots over a girl and a stupid phone.

What we're up against when it comes to youth violence is cultural. By cultural, I don't mean that one race of humans are doing these types of crimes. I just know that low income predominantly black neighborhoods (like the one that I grew up in) has indeed "normalized" dealing with their problems by any means necessary (including deadly force). By the age of 13, I already knew that getting into a simple youth fight could result in my mother's apartment being shot up; so I learned to walk away or run away with my mouth shut. People who have little (and I mean generationally have little) have a tendency not to value their lives or the lives of others. This is true of any ethnicity of human being.

So with all of that context out of the way, seeing this news story and the black mother (with no mentioning of the father/husband) on camera made me want to cry. Before there ever was a shooting towards her daughter, where was the father figure who was supposed to be teaching "his little princess" how to choose the right type of young man? Assuming that the father is indeed absent, why is that the case? Is he dead, is he a deadbeat, or is he a good father who is doing well and his bitter EX is withholding his daughter from him (while also brainwashing her against him)? And are the courts going to give him custody of that girl now that she has been shot at in the mother's care?

These are the type of news stories that makes me angry on so many levels. As tragic as the shooting was, there were probably a long list of dominos that toppled long before the gunshots were fired. I'll leave it here because I've already said more than I had originally intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary