Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 04:30 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
Hi I’m from NJ. Our waiter the other day in Cary who lives in apex for 8 years said “everyone” he knows in Cary have been complaining about “rules and regulations” and higher taxes. He said he never wants to move there however he couldn’t give me any examples just spoke in generalizations.

What kind of rules and regulations do Cary residents dislike or was he just talking?

Thank you
Just talking.

As others have posted, taxes are comparable, and HOA rules and regulations can be cumbersome, but that's not on Town of Cary.

Lived there for years. Lots of walking trails, and neighborhood parks. Great library.

Town of Cary went through a planning process several years ago. Lots of ways for public input. They came up with "Walkable Urban" as a mantra.

Seems that IBM employees who wanted suburban life created Cary. As those folks retire to Glenaire and elsewhere, the incoming residents want life without cars. They'll rent one if they need to. As far as I know, the current plan is three clustered developments with public transportation between them.

But don't see how there would be any rules and regulations that any other place wouldn't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 07:44 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
This happened before I got here (I've lived in Holly Springs for 18 years) but from what I gather, and I could be wrong, Cary was the first town to push towards growth with a vision. The vision was rules from the town, but also an influx of developments with HOAs. So perhaps at one time Cary was known for its rules as opposed to the other rural towns where anything goes. Keep in mind up until ~30 years ago town water and sewer was unheard of in some areas outside of Raleigh. I'm sure this was somewhat shocking to the people who've lived in the area for generations.

Fast forward to today and the reality is if you draw a 15-20 mile radius around Raleigh, all of those towns look the same. Rural farm lands converted to developments, the same handful of builders so the houses in Cary look like the ones in Apex, Knightdale, and Fuquay Varina. Strip malls with a Mattress Firm and one big box store.

So while the beige/vanilla joke may have had some bite a few decades ago, all towns conformed to some degree and Cary no longer needs to be the punching bag.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:52 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
Hi I’m from NJ. Our waiter the other day in Cary who lives in apex for 8 years said “everyone” he knows in Cary have been complaining about “rules and regulations” and higher taxes.
Must be the same waiter we had 8 years ago when we were down here scouting out the area.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:05 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
This happened before I got here (I've lived in Holly Springs for 18 years) but from what I gather, and I could be wrong, Cary was the first town to push towards growth with a vision. The vision was rules from the town, but also an influx of developments with HOAs. So perhaps at one time Cary was known for its rules as opposed to the other rural towns where anything goes. Keep in mind up until ~30 years ago town water and sewer was unheard of in some areas outside of Raleigh. I'm sure this was somewhat shocking to the people who've lived in the area for generations.

Fast forward to today and the reality is if you draw a 15-20 mile radius around Raleigh, all of those towns look the same. Rural farm lands converted to developments, the same handful of builders so the houses in Cary look like the ones in Apex, Knightdale, and Fuquay Varina. Strip malls with a Mattress Firm and one big box store.

So while the beige/vanilla joke may have had some bite a few decades ago, all towns conformed to some degree and Cary no longer needs to be the punching bag.
HOAs....
In the mid-1990's the NCGA passed regulations requiring an HOA, entity, or individual responsible for all common areas of any newly platted development with 20 or more lots.
Cary was growing rampantly, so of course the Town had the most local attention for HOAs but the stipulations are state-wide.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:20 AM

104 posts, read 64,627 times
Didn't / doesn't Cary limit retail business signage size, prominence, or "noise"? There may be some business owners who think street-visible signage is everything and balk at related regulations.

Personally, I'd welcome similar regulations where I live.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:24 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
Didn't / doesn't Cary limit retail business signage size, prominence, or "noise"? There may be some business owners who think street-visible signage is everything and balk at related regulations.

Personally, I'd welcome similar regulations where I live.
I've been here over eight years and I still find stores I didn't even know existed because of the lack of street signage.

It's perfectly fine with me - I don't think Cary is having any trouble attracting business.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:06 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
The street signage limitations are fabulous from an aesthetic standpoint, and with ubiquitous GPS on phones these days it matters little in terms of customers finding you.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:22 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
So...
Cary doesn't have a Bragg Blvd., a la Fayetteville, or a Capital Blvd., a la Mini-City Raleigh, or a Church St./Huffman Mill Road area a la Burlington?

Meh. We good.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:47 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
While fairly controversial; it is true that there are in fact speed limits on Cary Parkway. They are ignored by about 90% of drivers with little to no consequence though so no worries to the ole chap worried about all those regulations restricting his freedum's....
Said speed limit is only adhered to by people in the left lane though.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:06 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Said speed limit is only adhered to by people in the left lane though.
Of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary