Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 09:08 AM

133 posts, read 331,338 times

Advertisements

I have lived here 15 years now coming down from the Northeast and have noticed over the course of that time that most people don't you their turn signals.

I find it to be unsafe, rude and what I suspect is simple laziness. I go back up north often and it is not nearly as bad up there.

Another glaring thing people do her is NOT stopping at a crosswalk for a pedestrian unless there is some blinking yellow light. Again...up north...you step into a crosswalk and people are going to stop.

Not saying northern drivers are perfect by any measure but was wondering if others have noticed same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 09:47 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
The drivers that don't use their turn signals are probably just out of blinker fluid. Then there are those that drive with their turn signals on even if they're not turning because they aren't paying attention to the blinky-blinky light on the dash.

In regards to crosswalks, if the "Do Not Walk" light is lit then pedestrians don't have the right of way but I see people dangerously crossing anyway. I've also seen runners run right out in front of moving traffic because they don't want to stop and "break their stride" at the risk of being hit by a 3K+ pound vehicle.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:00 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times
An old and silly joke:
"In North Carolina new car dealers are required to break off the directional signal handle and toss it in the trash."

Old 10-19-2023, 11:28 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Because the lack of turn-signal use grinds my gears personally...I probably over-do it....it is just a reflex at this point. I'll use my turn signal turning into my own driveway when I'm the only vehicle on the street (seriously)

Old 10-19-2023, 11:29 AM

233 posts, read 236,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The drivers that don't use their turn signals are probably just out of blinker fluid. Then there are those that drive with their turn signals on even if they're not turning because they aren't paying attention to the blinky-blinky light on the dash.

In regards to crosswalks, if the "Do Not Walk" light is lit then pedestrians don't have the right of way but I see people dangerously crossing anyway. I've also seen runners run right out in front of moving traffic because they don't want to stop and "break their stride" at the risk of being hit by a 3K+ pound vehicle.
I usually get my blinker fluid replaced around the same time I get my airbags rotated (every 3000 miles or so). Remember it’s just a drain and fill… if they try to upsell you in the blinker fluid flush, it’s a scam!

Old 10-19-2023, 11:49 AM

16 posts, read 17,971 times
I suspect a lot of this behavior (me included) is because when you use your turn signal around here, the driver in the opposite lane tends to speed up so as not to be inconvenienced by suddenly being behind someone else. It's obnoxious behavior. While I agree in principle that turn signals are good, sometimes being a good driver has its own consequences.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:03 PM

315 posts, read 180,216 times
Beemers don't have a turn signal. The lights are just for show but they aren't connected.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:08 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
[quote=DPPWUS;65972779]I have lived here 15 years now coming down from the Northeast and have noticed over the course of that time that most people don't you their turn signals.

I find it to be unsafe, rude and what I suspect is simple laziness. I go back up north often and it is not nearly as bad up there.

Another glaring thing people do her is NOT stopping at a crosswalk for a pedestrian unless there is some blinking yellow light. Again...up north...you step into a crosswalk and people are going to stop.

Not saying northern drivers are perfect by any measure but was wondering if others have noticed same thing.[/QUOTE

About half of drivers here in No VA use them - I always joke that they didn't pay extra for turn signals.

No idea why people can't be bothered....

Old 10-19-2023, 04:43 PM

851 posts, read 416,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
I have lived here 15 years now coming down from the Northeast and have noticed over the course of that time that most people don't you their turn signals.

Not saying northern drivers are perfect by any measure but was wondering if others have noticed same thing.
It's societal. It's tempting to attribute this disregard of fundamental courtesies simply to laziness and stupidity, which of course it is, but it's more a lack of the very conformity and predictability that we take for granted in New England. In Boston, I can fall asleep on 128 or the Expressway. In the Triad, the corner store for milk is a white knuckle experience.

Last edited by TunedIn; 10-19-2023 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-19-2023, 05:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 991,037 times
Quote:
....most people don't you their turn signals.

...people do her is NOT stopping at a crosswalk for a pedestrian unless there is some blinking yellow light.
I hate to break it to everyone, but this is not a problem unique to NC. It is in the NE as well. Which brings me to...

Quote:
Again...up north...you step into a crosswalk and people are going to stop.
Yeah - tell that tot he guy who has lived in the NE his entire life (me) who has almost gotten killed several times by people NOT stopping at a crosswalk - even with a blinking yellow light.

The problem is we don't do the hung drawn and quartered thing anymore. But, I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary