Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 06:16 AM

17,561 posts, read 22,328,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
And they hate the hot blond wife, wife a 50K wedding ring, driving a 75K SUV. It's perfectly fine for Obama to have a super duper McGiant house for 2 people though.
Funny I was thinking the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 06:17 AM

17,561 posts, read 22,328,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
This idiot (me) is done buying real estate (for the time being.)

I'm in my "toe tag" house.

Don't care if it goes up or down or sideways. Value wise, anyway.
Toe tag house........buy there, die there!

Old 03-08-2024, 06:29 AM

43,487 posts, read 77,465,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
I guess you can be thankful I said Wake County and not Marin CA for the value basis (where most of my residential and commercial RE holdings actually are). But yeah the number is a little on the high side so not quite 1/8, but that's what I get for estimating I suppose.

But like most threads on this forum, this one has drifted far and tragically into ADHD oblivion as others have tried to turn it into what they wanted it to be (or worse mistakenly thought it was).

The thread was not a dig at anyone who can afford a mcmansion and simply wants one. Sure, buy one if you like but know that if your intention is to buy it as an investment (and for most people their primary home always is that), it's a bad use of money.

The topic was on my mind because my daughter lives in Wake County which is fertile ground for these over priced, poorly constructed crap boxes so I've had many discussions recently with her and her husband on spotting red flags, etc.

If anyone disagrees and thinks they ARE a good investment, then I challenge them to post an intelligent argument proving they're right. My theory is already easily proven for me by looking at relative property value increase of average priced homes compared to mc mansions in major metro areas over the last 10 years.
Ahh...
So the thread should be in the Real Estate Forum.

Got it.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:42 AM

181 posts, read 153,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ahh...
So the thread should be in the Real Estate Forum.

Got it.
Debatable. Since Wake County (specifically) mc mansions were the real target of my post, where I probably went wrong was not indicating that in the subject thread. Never, EVER give benefit of the doubt for any level of awareness on CD threads... lesson learned.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:38 AM

13,732 posts, read 12,538,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm curious to see what she has ever designed and seen through building.
This always seems like a case of "Those who can, design. Those who cannot, criticize."
A bit snotty, IMO. And I don't care much for the targets of her criticism either.
But, why not show her great designs instead, if she is able?
Why not focus on great design?
I disagree. Any customer can ruin a nice home in the design stage. My MIL took a nice plan for a brick colonial home and while she left the exterior alone, implemented a bunch of Spanish/southwestern design elements that look strange.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,826,937 times
Quote:
I guess you can be thankful I said Wake County and not Marin CA for the value basis (where most of my residential and commercial RE holdings actually are). But yeah the number is a little on the high side so not quite 1/8, but that's what I get for estimating I suppose.

But like most threads on this forum, this one has drifted far and tragically into ADHD oblivion as others have tried to turn it into what they wanted it to be (or worse mistakenly thought it was).

The thread was not a dig at anyone who can afford a mcmansion and simply wants one. Sure, buy one if you like but know that if your intention is to buy it as an investment (and for most people their primary home always is that), it's a bad use of money.

The topic was on my mind because my daughter lives in Wake County which is fertile ground for these over priced, poorly constructed crap boxes so I've had many discussions recently with her and her husband on spotting red flags, etc.

If anyone disagrees and thinks they ARE a good investment, then I challenge them to post an intelligent argument proving they're right. My theory is already easily proven for me by looking at relative property value increase of average priced homes compared to mc mansions in major metro areas over the last 10 years.

You think only large "McMansions" are poorly constructed crapboxes? You really need to drive around the Triangle more and check out the new construction houses that includes smaller houses, ranch homes and small retirement houses. They're all done with construction managers who don't care and workers they just found off the street and combining it with poor material and/or shortages of it.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:06 AM

1,343 posts, read 735,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
You think only large "McMansions" are poorly constructed crapboxes? You really need to drive around the Triangle more and check out the new construction houses that includes smaller houses, ranch homes and small retirement houses. They're all done with construction managers who don't care and workers they just found off the street and combining it with poor material and/or shortages of it.
But the smaller McHomes will appreciate faster than larger McMansions. But it was hardly a revelation for the OP to point out that smaller (as in not mansion sized) homes generally appreciate more than mansion sized homes simply because of higher demand. Not really news.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:32 AM

878 posts, read 1,027,932 times
Quote:
Debatable. Since Wake County (specifically) mc mansions were the real target of my post, where I probably went wrong was not indicating that in the subject thread. Never, EVER give benefit of the doubt for any level of awareness on CD threads... lesson learned.
Smug, condescending comments like this and your earlier brag of "You can take the six largest McMansions in the Raleigh area and sum their value and they are still less than 1/8th of my personal total real estate holdings ...." are why most people reading this entry are dismissive of what you're posting here. You don't need to pretend you're superior to others on here to make your point. You don't like "McMansions," we got it. We also think that there are more pressing needs in the area regarding real estate than this issue right now.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:32 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,824,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
TOTAL DISAGREEMENT.

The preponderance of jutting dormers, gables, and such nonsense MINIMIZES the available space while MAXIMIZING surface area - bad bad bad.

A perfect sphere has the least surface area for the volume enclosed - but we can't really live in one.
A hemisphere (dome) is not as good as a sphere, but one may live inside. However, they're inefficient and don't fit standard furniture.
A cube has more surface area for volume enclosed, but that can be adjusted for by adding 33% more insulation. Plus you can utilize the roof deck (if designed for the load).
A rectilinear shell has much more surface area for volume enclosed, and is the most popular base, with all manner of extensions, protrusions, and features to reduce performance and boost cost.

Very few modern houses are simple cubes, ergo, they are not maximizing their volume for the surface area of the enclosure.
Most of those features are above the living area and only affect the attic.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 3,568,288 times
Buildings depreciate.
Land tends to appreciate, particularly in metros with growing economies.

For a large house, the building is a larger share of the total value. That building, especially when highly customized for its initial buyer, may not be worth as much to subsequent occupants. So, it's not surprising that smaller, less customized houses appreciate faster than larger, more customized houses in growing areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary