Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 03:38 PM

179 posts, read 151,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
But the smaller McHomes will appreciate faster than larger McMansions. But it was hardly a revelation for the OP to point out that smaller (as in not mansion sized) homes generally appreciate more than mansion sized homes simply because of higher demand. Not really news.
Apparently it was due to the number of folks coming out of the wood work to defend their mcmansions or right to own one or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Smug, condescending comments like this and your earlier brag of "You can take the six largest McMansions in the Raleigh area and sum their value and they are still less than 1/8th of my personal total real estate holdings ...." are why most people reading this entry are dismissive of what you're posting here. You don't need to pretend you're superior to others on here to make your point. You don't like "McMansions," we got it. We also think that there are more pressing needs in the area regarding real estate than this issue right now.
Are you also calling out the "smug and condescending comments" aimed toward me, that I was only responding to? Or is there a bit of inbred favoritism going on here maybe?
Listen, I never boasted of wealth.. providing a ballpark metric of quantity on my RE holdings does not say anything about how much I actual own versus borrow against. I could be cash poor for all you know.
But if I did get cash poor from bad real estate decisions at scale, it would still put me in a reasonable position to provide an idiots guide to bad RE investing via mcmansion purchases... and boy did this thread draw those in droves. Success!

Old 03-08-2024, 04:17 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
"Jabberwocky" is one of my favorte poems!

Old 03-09-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Jabberwocky" is one of my favorte poems!
Those early influences on you really come through in the content you post here! Thanks for that and the reminder about Jabberwocky

Old 03-09-2024, 06:44 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
It has panned out as I expected 20 years ago, both here in the Triangle and in Northern CA.

What's the definition of McMansion? I dunno, let's just say "more than you need", but at this point most anyone with common sense can spot them right away.

The friends of mine who bought McMansions 20 years ago have generally seen about 200% value increase since then regardless of whether in this area or out west.

The smaller homes I bought around the same time are enjoying 300% at the same time. At the end of the day interest rates and real-world market conditions narrow the pool of buyers, and in uncertain times, the maintenance prices of a huge home and the "McMansion Gouging" that comes with it more than offsets whatever advantages folks thought they were getting by trying to impress the joneses.

Now, as an investor, just the sheer liquidity of owning multiple smaller homes with a price point that is much more approachable, in itself is enough to separate the genius investor from the mentally disadvantaged ones.

I have several friends who invested in these things and their cash output due to "McMansion Gouging" by contractors has eaten them alive along the way.

Ah well.. gluttony always ends how it does, doesn't it? It seems the key to success is to keep your investments under the radar instead of flaunting them.
I don't get your point. Land value usually appreciates faster than structure value. The more your structure/land value then the slower your appreciation relative to something with a high land/structure value.

Presumes suburban homes, not some rural land 100 miles from a city.

I thought a McMansion was a fairly ordinary home about 3,500 SQFT or larger, on a relatively small lot such as 1/6 acre.

If you have an opulent 5,000 SQFT home on 4 acres, then that would be a true mansion, not a "McMansion".

Old 03-09-2024, 07:20 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
If you have an opulent 5,000 SQFT home on 4 acres, then that would be a true mansion, not a "McMansion".
Reminds me of a great bit from comedian Brian Regan. "Why don't we all head back to my maaaansion. You don't need directions, you'll see it."

https://youtu.be/iFcUQX69Hhc?si=VBcfGtvIv0nrWu0o&t=699

Old 03-10-2024, 09:17 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
a family of four in a mcmansion is using less space per person than 1 person in a bungalow

Old 03-10-2024, 11:16 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
a family of four in a mcmansion is using less space per person than 1 person in a bungalow
Not if the mcmansion is 4,000 sf and bungalow is 800 sf. But why is that metric pertinent?

Old 03-10-2024, 03:47 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
why is this thread even here in the Raleigh forum? Other than 1-2 posts about specific streets in Wake County, this has ZERO to do with this forum, should be in Real Estate general forum.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:50 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ahh...
So the thread should be in the Real Estate Forum.

Got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
why is this thread even here in the Raleigh forum? Other than 1-2 posts about specific streets in Wake County, this has ZERO to do with this forum, should be in Real Estate general forum.
Well... No one knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary