Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 10:24 AM

390 posts, read 296,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I hadn't seen a Cybertruck either until this week when I've seen 3 of them. One was in North Raleigh, the other two in West Cary/Apex, so it may have been the same one.

I appreciate vehicles that are unique and you don't see at every stop light, but it is uh interesting looking.
I saw my first cybertruck yesterday when I was in Winston Salem. Looked very odd, seems more like a novelty item then an actual useful truck... Maybe the next gen styles will be better looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 11:50 AM

189 posts, read 99,054 times
Saw a Cybertruck parked in a driveway. The panels looked like someone beat on the truck.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:48 PM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
When you get a great deal on your Cybertruck from Temu:

Old 04-29-2024, 03:36 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,064,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
Saw a Cybertruck parked in a driveway. The panels looked like someone beat on the truck.
They look like a vehicle for Halo designed in Minecraft.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:58 PM

25 posts, read 34,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When you get a great deal on your Cybertruck from Temu:

A test:

which of the following shape is odd?

A. The left one is ducking crazy!
B. The right one is really weird.
C. They are about the same.

I'll post answer key tomorrow if I remember.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:31 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,550,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I've heard this to some degree. Is that because the people gloating about it are anti-EV folks? I don't see any other reason why you would want a car company to fail. It just means more competition for us buyers which is good.
As someone who is a pro-ICE person, I would agree that competition is very good and the more options the better. In the last week I have leased 2 EVs because they are so darn cheap. $250/mth, free charging, no gas, 300 mile range. They are great vehicles for local driving - and we drive more than 100 miles from home only 2-3 times per year. Short term leases so protected against any technological changes or if driving needs change. What's not to like?

Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

25 posts, read 34,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilian View Post
A test:

which of the following shape is odd?

A. The left one is ducking crazy!
B. The right one is really weird.
C. They are about the same.

I'll post answer key tomorrow if I remember.

Most reasonable people would agree that the left is cleaner and smoother, while the right is busier and clumsier.

Now look at this picture:

There is nothing intrinsically odd in the shape of Cybertruck. If anything, traditional pickup trucks are the odd ones.

So why, so many, maybe even majority, and sometimes some groups of people, vast majority of people consider the Cybertruck is odd looking? Easy. People's neural networks are reinforced frequently, often multiple times daily, what a pickup truck looks like. The brains of vast majority people are therefore got the idea what a pickup, or any pickup truck looks like, and should look like, and supposedly looks like and anything deviating too much from that "standard" is intuitively and/or subconsciously wrong.

Let me be honest with you: those kind of people have firmly entrenched ideas about the world, even many of those ideas have no rationale behind it whatsoever. Those people are also most likely left behind in a-changin' world.

Old Today, 09:24 AM

810 posts, read 693,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I've heard this to some degree. Is that because the people gloating about it are anti-EV folks? I don't see any other reason why you would want a car company to fail. It just means more competition for us buyers which is good.
I doubt many people are actively rooting for Vinfast to fail, especially with taxpayer money involved in the venture, but the people saying Vinfast will fail are realists who follow the car market. There's a reason new automakers almost never survive, and it's because it's damn near impossible to break into a multi-TRILLION dollar industry without a literally industry-altering breakthrough of something. Tesla is the only independent newcomer to survive since Hyundai and Kia, and that can mostly be credited to focusing entirely on EVs when essentially nobody else was and having a leader who knows how to constantly keep your company in the headlines (although this may lead to the downfall of Tesla if Musk does not calm down).

The reality is that Tesla is the only newcomer that is able to turn a profit on its vehicles. It was actually able to do this early on, so scaling up production helped Tesla eventually become profitable as a company. Granted, Musk's recent antics have reduced my confidence in Tesla as a surefire bet to survive long term, but Lucid and Rivian are the only other startups that I think have a remote chance of also surviving long term and both of those are currently losing money on each unit sold. From what I understand, Rivian is losing $40k on each R1 and Lucid is losing at least $130k on each Air. As they ramp up production I suppose they could re-negotiate larger and better deals with suppliers to at least get closer to breaking even, but it's nearing do-or-die for both companies as the legacy automakers roll out more and more EVs. All of the fringe companies like Vinfast, Canoo, Fisker, etc will disappear in the coming years.

Old Today, 12:36 PM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilian View Post
Most reasonable people would agree that the left is cleaner and smoother, while the right is busier and clumsier.

Now look at this picture:

There is nothing intrinsically odd in the shape of Cybertruck. If anything, traditional pickup trucks are the odd ones.

So why, so many, maybe even majority, and sometimes some groups of people, vast majority of people consider the Cybertruck is odd looking? Easy. People's neural networks are reinforced frequently, often multiple times daily, what a pickup truck looks like. The brains of vast majority people are therefore got the idea what a pickup, or any pickup truck looks like, and should look like, and supposedly looks like and anything deviating too much from that "standard" is intuitively and/or subconsciously wrong.

Let me be honest with you: those kind of people have firmly entrenched ideas about the world, even many of those ideas have no rationale behind it whatsoever. Those people are also most likely left behind in a-changin' world.
Oh, my and LOL. Nice rationalizing gymnastics!

The traditional pickup has been around for many decades, in many many millions of vehicles, as one of the most successful and popular of all vehicle versions. The form follows the function desired by most owners.

My Neural Network is attuned to common sense, functionality, and affordability. My 3rd F150 fills all of those needs, as did the other two. Not to mention the two GMCs.
I have nothing against the Cypertruck despite the foolish look and Elon Musk, but I am definitely not buying your spiel other than wondering about your need to rationalize it as less odd.

Old Today, 01:13 PM

3,308 posts, read 8,570,566 times
I really like the look of the Cybertruck, but my wife and pretty much everyone else I know thinks it's ugly. I would love to own one, but that's unlikely to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary