Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 AM

39 posts, read 125,907 times

Advertisements

I am going for a VERY brief weekend trip. (fly out Friday evening, back Sunday evening)

Would you park in the daily parking or park and ride?
(ie, how often are the shuttles really from park and ride? is it hard finding a daily parking space?)

Thanks in advance,

alan
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM

98 posts, read 511,840 times
I've always taken a cab, personally, but I live in Cary and I don't use the airport's cabs (great service, extremely expensive... the driver even helped me get my bags up to my 3rd floor apartment).

I don't know anything about the park and ride, but I do know that I've looked into daily parking there and it is never very full. However, there are almost 10,000 spaces for that. And you would need to walk from your car, so depending on your luggage amount, this may not be the best option. It would cost you 10 bucks for the Saturday and then 1 dollar per hour on Friday and Sunday. So it may be fairly cheap, and you may be lucky to get a close spot.

I imagine the shuttles are fairly quick at the park and ride. They say 20 minutes between each shuttle... but I don't know myself if this is true . It isn't that much cheaper than daily parking, but at least they would take you directly to the door.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
I quit using the park and ride once they opened the new daily and jacked the price up to $6/day for the park and ride (the daily costs $10/day). You will not have a problem finding parking the daily...on a Friday afternoon I'd go up 4 levels before I started looking for a spot.

If you do decide to use the park and ride, buses come every 20 min.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
You can get a space in either the daily lots or the park and ride lots. The buses to the park and ride lots seem to run about every 15 minutes and take about 5-8 minutes to get you to your terminal. For your short trip, it may be worth the extra $8 to just walk to be able to walk to the terminal.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 AM

28 posts, read 108,705 times
I've ALWAYS used the park and ride (about 13-15 times over the year) and buses are pretty reliable. Come every 15 mins i think. On holidays weekends they came in less than every 10 mins or so. Have a safe flight

Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
I usually park either in the Park-n-Ride purple lot (near Aviation and I-40) or in the daily lot, depending on how many days I'll be gone, if I'm paying or the company is paying, how much time I have and how much luggage.

As long as it isn't a major travel holiday, these lots are usually fine. Christmas, you are better off taking a cab. We missed a flight Xmas day to Vegas due to full lots. Lost a full day of our trip because of that.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 AM

39 posts, read 125,907 times
This forum is AWESOME. thanks for all of the comments. I am in the process of moving here (started work 6/2 and my family follows 6/11.) so expect to see lots of questions from me in the coming weeks.....

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM

113 posts, read 436,566 times
Granted I usually expense it, but I always park in the Daily. You simply don't save enough money to justify the hassle, in my opinion. It's just such a short stroll to the elevators, and then to the terminal.

I always start at Level 4, however, even if the others say there are spaces. Sometimes I end up on the top. But it's still the same distance to the terminal once you're out of the elevator.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
For an airport the size of RDU I find it absolutely ridiculous that their shuttles for the park and ride lots do not come often enough, meaning that the shuttles come to the lots every 13 to 15 minutes instead of every 4-6 minutes and on top of that, the shuttles do not run 24/7. Every city that I've lived has an airport with park and ride lots that have shuttles run 24/7 and they come to the lots on average every 6 minutes. That is exactly why I use longtermparking.com. They are located on Lumley Rd right behind the airport. The shuttles run 24/7 and there is 24hr parking.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 AM

15 posts, read 62,402 times
PreFlight parking on WestGate/Lumley Road just off of 70 has online coupons so you can get a discount. They will also service your car while you are out of town if you need an oil change, inspection or car wash, etc..You can also get airmiles.

Raleigh-Durham International Airport Parking, RDU Parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary