Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 03:20 PM

389 posts, read 439,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
It's almost not worth it to get pre check these days. Some airports have so many pre checks that line is actually longer (and slower) than the regular line.
Having just gone through TSA RDU pre-check line in about 15 mins, and looking over at the "regular" line wrapping around the lobby, I still think it is well worth the modest fee. Plus I get to keep my shoes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 03:59 PM

27 posts, read 28,097 times
Default Pretty sure it exists

IIRC from days when I did a lot of international business travel, many airports (incl RDU) have ‘regular’ TSA lines reserved for Business/First Class passengers on some airlines. Sounds like the big 3 are extending this to include certain rewards tiers. If I remember they are to the very left (or very right) side of the normal security’corrals (not in the TSA PRECHECK/Clear area). There is usually an airport staff person who examines boarding documents for your eligibility to join this line.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:26 PM

22,723 posts, read 36,937,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
Having just gone through TSA RDU pre-check line in about 15 mins, and looking over at the "regular" line wrapping around the lobby, I still think it is well worth the modest fee. Plus I get to keep my shoes on.
Yup. Walk up and go through. We flew out of RDU a couple years ago and my daughter's boarding pass didn't capture her pre check so I went thru regular security with her. That was enough to renew it for me. Left her with her aunt and cousin on the return trip lol.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:26 PM

9,156 posts, read 14,815,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pre check is also a trusted traveler program - someone who hasn't been fingerprinted and vetted should not be going through the less secure line.
They do not let anyone into the line that has not been checked. The way RDU works is both lines somewhat come together in one spot. Clear sends people through the correct side once they get up there, and sometimes they send you through the regular side with a little tag that says that you are pre-check so that they don’t make you take your shoes off even if you’re in the regular line.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:28 PM

9,156 posts, read 14,815,715 times
As far as a separate line for priority passengers on various airlines, definitely some of the larger airports have that, but I have not seen that at RDU. It is possible it is new in the last three weeks since I last flew through there, but I’m not sure where they would even put it. At some point once they expand the terminal and expand the security area maybe that would work.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:35 PM

22,723 posts, read 36,937,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
They do not let anyone into the line that has not been checked. The way RDU works is both lines somewhat come together in one spot. Clear sends people through the correct side once they get up there, and sometimes they send you through the regular side with a little tag that says that you are pre-check so that they don’t make you take your shoes off even if you’re in the regular line.
I was talking about people who have this Delta thing but don't have pre-check or any other trusted traveler thing. THe link the OP posted isn't clear that you have to have it to use the Delta thing.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:44 AM
NDS

59 posts, read 66,175 times
IIRC Southwest in T2 had/has a separate security lane for A-list passengers for several years now

Old 05-14-2024, 07:52 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,596,422 times
I haven't encountered many situations where I thought the priority line was faster/worth the extra money, except for charles de gaulle, for which I was granted access for having a comfort plus booking on Delta. I mostly fly Southwest when I can and their terminal almost never has a significant line when I fly.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:28 AM

4,289 posts, read 4,743,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
Southwest in T2
You mean T1, right?

Old 05-15-2024, 07:23 AM

5,353 posts, read 3,249,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelangov View Post
Hi
I see in Delta Airline site, that Delta Diamond, Platinum, Gold Medallion members can use "Priority Security Line" at RDU!
I think the key quote from the Delta website is this: When you’re flying with Sky Priority®, you enjoy access first to benefits like expedited check-in, security, boarding and baggage. This includes designated frequent traveler priority security lanes, which are offered at peak times in select Airports.

So there's no dedicated line, per se, but probably some expedition as they see fit when the airport is congested. If I were you, I would simply ask the agent when you check in. Although we have status with Delta we use CLEAR to expedite security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
IIRC Southwest in T2 had/has a separate security lane for A-list passengers for several years now
T2 is a cluster. Last time I flew Southwest (Oct, 2023) while there was a TSA and a PreCheck line they both merge to use the same scanner lines. TSA PreCheck passengers got a card to show the agent so we didn't have to remove shoes, belts, etc. But you still have to wait while people remove their stuff, so it was a painful process. I'm impatient. I know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary