Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 08:04 AM

23 posts, read 17,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When the roofer says, "I will pay your deductible," and the homeowner agrees, Voila! You have insurance fraud.
I'll take your word for it. I haven't dealt with that. In my case if I recall correctly, the deductibles were not waived or paid. The companies agreed to replace the roof for the amount the insurance company authorized which was with the deductible subtracted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 08:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 6,012,088 times
The guy was trying to tell me unspecified roof damage and minor siding dents were due to a hailstorm last fall and that because aluminum siding is basically impossible to get now, we could get everything entirely replaced for $1,000. I was home on the supposed date of the hailstorm and nothing happened at my house, and the siding dents have been there since before I bought the house 15 years ago.

Old 05-20-2024, 06:39 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,812,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
Be wary of those reviews. There was a guy walking around our neighborhood a few weeks ago from some pest company. He was sure to point out the reviews. Amazingly they were able to get 5000 reviews within the first month of their page being created. The bot farms are amazing.
That's true, I did think at first "wow this business must be good!" Was able to find a former Azura pest control subscriber who said she got 2 months free ($80/month) for writing a 5 star review. Now who wouldn't write a review to get that, even if the service was not that great or you weren't sure yet? (they do monthly pest control visits and charges vs quarterly).

Old 05-20-2024, 05:57 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,887,481 times
I forgot that I could just the Ring app to talk to the guys! Thanks for the reminder.
I just had a pest control guy who wouldn't take no for an answer. So I finally just told him we like bugs and closed the door. I heard him repeat "You like bugs?"

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,617,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I forgot that I could just the Ring app to talk to the guys! Thanks for the reminder.
I just had a pest control guy who wouldn't take no for an answer. So I finally just told him we like bugs and closed the door. I heard him repeat "You like bugs?"
LOL! I've definitely said stuff like this to the AT&T salesmen they send along whenever my internet goes out

"The older the phone, the better!"

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

6,411 posts, read 5,538,214 times
Hawx pest control "got me" about a year ago. I am going to cancel soon.

I was about to last week before the payment came out and then they called to offer my free/annual termite inspection... guy came out and said there was nothing but that he'd email me the official WDI report. That was last Friday...still nothing.

Old Today, 07:54 AM

22,723 posts, read 36,933,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjun09 View Post
I'll take your word for it. I haven't dealt with that. In my case if I recall correctly, the deductibles were not waived or paid. The companies agreed to replace the roof for the amount the insurance company authorized which was with the deductible subtracted.
And if you didn't write a check to the roofer for the amount of your deductible, they "saved you your deductible" which means they overcharged your insurer or did sub par work.

All I hear are stories from people who had their roofs done by these storm chasers that have problems and the companies are long gone from the state. Zero sympathy for these people.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

6,299 posts, read 16,121,864 times
Years ago, I solved the door sales problem, and it was a huge problem.

On an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper, I typed the following in large letters:

DO NOT KNOCK.
DO NOT RING DOORBELL.
IF YOU DID EITHER,
YOU'D BETTER START RUNNING NOW!

I printed it and taped it to the door at the level they would knock or ring the doorbell. People who know us know we're not talking about them. If we're expecting someone, we remove the sign and tape it back up later.

Sales people pretend they do not know what "NO SOLICITORS!" means. However, this sign is very clear.

I've seen people running away.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,664,298 times
When I bought a house on a fairly busy street after retiring people were constantly ringing the doorbell and making my 4 dogs bark. I bought a very large grumpy cat sign giving the middle paw and saying no solicitors. The sign could be read from the sidewalk even with the house set back a ways.

Very few people ever rang the doorbell again. For the few that did I asked them if they were stupid or couldn’t they read and then wait for an answer. Usually they left but if they started talking I would ask them again and again in a loud voice and pretty soon they were leaving. Eventually no solicitors rang the doorbell.

Old Today, 12:53 PM

4,617 posts, read 3,812,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Hawx pest control "got me" about a year ago. I am going to cancel soon.

I was about to last week before the payment came out and then they called to offer my free/annual termite inspection... guy came out and said there was nothing but that he'd email me the official WDI report. That was last Friday...still nothing.

I looked up Hawx pest control on Google Maps and they are either 5 star reviews that all sound alike, or they are 1 star reviews where people complain either about door to door salesman (some even have photos from last week) or the $200 cancellation policy depending on whether you signed a 1 or 2 year contract.

Okay, so I guess my plan of getting a cheap initial spraying service and then cancelling doesn't work lol.

you and all these other people didn't even know what you were signing, like a long contract that is 1 year or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary