Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Sorry to hear about your SD DVR experience. I have a SD DVR (R-15) in my spare bedroom from Directv and it works well. The good thing about Directv is that they are constantly releasing software updates for all of their current receivers. Those updates tend to take care of most issues. Hope that you have better luck and that you have proper line of site without cutting down the trees.
I'll stick with my Directivo - I put a new hard drive a few months ago and it holds 140 hours of programming now. I'm still hoping that Directv and Tivo kiss and make up at some point in the future and they make some new DVR's. Even if I wind up with TWC I'll get my dual-tuner Tivo out of the closet and use that for my DVR.

Yes, I'm a diehard Tivo fan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,299 times
Quote:
quote removed
Yes, It is new. I had a problem with my cable about 6 weeks ago and the tech told me about it (contracts).

Last edited by autumngal; 06-25-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,172 times
Well, I made it official. I signed up for DirecTV last night. $23 off a month for the first 12 months. Showtime free for 12 months...HBO and Starz free for 3 months. Around 60 HD channels, locals, XM, and I get a $20 credit for signing up for autopay. I would get an additional $10/off per month AT&T DSL by going through DirecTV, but I'm going to stick with TWC Internet for the time being.

All in all, I'll be saving $30/mo and getting more of what I want. Not a bad deal. July 6th was their earliest install date though. I can hold off.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
I called TW at 9am Saturday morning and it took about 15 minutes to get 25 bucks off my monthly bill. I think some of you are calling at the worst times.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Very true. Off hours can be good times to call TWC.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 PM

39 posts, read 128,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Very true. Off hours can be good times to call TWC.
Really? I've been trying to call them for 3 days, from 7 am to 9 pm. I don't even get in a queue - the number is always busy (595-4892). TWC customer service stinks.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 AM

39 posts, read 128,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralct View Post
Really? I've been trying to call them for 3 days, from 7 am to 9 pm. I don't even get in a queue - the number is always busy (595-4892). TWC customer service stinks.
They finally answered their phone. As others have said, they now offer 2 year contracts, with an early termination fee of $150 (in my case) which decreases over time. Made sense for me, but YMMV.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:59 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Boy, reading over the posts here, seems like TWC is, at best, a mixed bag, and I can't understand why it doesn't stink some of the time and not all of the time for some of you. At least my DirectTV is a constant -- consistently great service.

At&T was at the house yesterday, sorting through the Internet service -- what a mess. The alarm system won't work with the Internet hooked-up, and vice versa, and none of these guys seems to know how to address it. He did give us the name of a fellow who may be able to sort through the system for us, as it appears to be way too complicated for any of us boobs.

I hate technology. Well, when it doesn't work. . .

The AT&T guy says they will be offering TV over the phone line, and the channels will be a la carte -- you can pick and choose what you want. That'll be nice, depending upon how much you can pick and choose. I have been very disappointed in the movies offered on the prime movie channels as they are no longer the recent releases like they used to be. One recent release, and a string of twenty old ones, many of which I never choose to watch.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:36 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
I have to have cable becauase I have too many trees for satellite, but I've been pretty content with Time Warner Cable over the last couple of years. My biggest issue is that they don't have Bravo (So I have to watch Project Runway on-line). And I'm not fond of the little changes they made with the new menu, but maybe I just need to learn more about it.

The things that make it all worthwhile for me is the additional channels of PBS that are available on cable. There are a lot of great shows available on those additional stations that they don't air on the regular PBS station. For instance, about a week ago they aired the Metropolitan Opera's "Tristan & Isolde" in HD. This is the same opera that you could have seen at the movie theater for $20 a seat a couple of months ago (that is, if you were lucky enough to buy a ticket many months in advance). There are also some great travel and cooking shows on the HD PBS channel that I've never seen on the regular PBS channel. And I also like that there's a whole PBS channel dedicated just to North Carolina programming & another one just for kids programming.

I can certainly understand why others are happier with satellite. Just thought it'd be good to put another perspective out there.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Default TV over the phone line?

Anyone familiar with what the AT&T fellow was telling me would soon be in the offering? Better choice from an a la carte menu of channels really appeals to me.

Isn't this what Embarq is advertising now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary