Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,648 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your advice! This is a great forum...

It sounds like we definitely need to work on wallpaper and any painting issues but, if we do need to move before putting the house on the market, "empty" (with some staging) is not as bad as many friends (and HGTV) have led us to believe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
how does one advertise to rent furniture for stagers?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
We have never bought a house that had anything in it. I guess I just like to see the house empty since the furniture does not go with it and I didn't really want to be looking at something I wasn't buying. I found looking at homes people were living in to be distracting. I like to see every inch of the place I am buying and I am not rude enough to poke around in someone's home.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM

18,113 posts, read 15,690,551 times
'Staging' works well to entice people looking at new homes/builder communities. When I toured one new model recently I couldn't help but notice the various people so busy looking at the furnishings that they weren't noticing the quality (or lack thereof) of the construction, the pipes, all the stuff that would actually affect their living environment. So if one is looking to distract (as well as entice), then a beautifully appointed/staged home will (psychologically) work on lots of people. For a home in a nice location, priced well, in good condition, etc, etc, then you probably won't have to do much staging at all.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:46 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,796 times
If your house is priced right and looks nice, it will sell regardless!!! We were looking at a really cheap house in Cary (online) and it was gone in 3 days! It's all about price in this market right now!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 AM

78 posts, read 309,623 times
All true I think. Price, price, price! But, with regards to staging, I'm sure that those who are buying homes often fail to look at the important stuff, like the quality of construction. And, that's a shame and will potentially be a sad reality when they actually move in. On the other hand, my experience has proven to me that many people can actually "see" themselves in a home unless there's some degree of staging. This may simply be an empty house with a simple seating area near the fireplace to relay the idea of a comfortable night in front a fire. Believe it or not, generaly speaking, many folks can't envision themselves in a place that doesn't spell out how they'd actually exist there. Of course, they aren't pruchasing that furniture or that artwork. But, it may help them a little to see something in place. This isn't to say that lots of other folks can easily envision themselves in a home, and can see the changes they would make. I don't mean to pursuade either way. It's simply that what I've witnessed demonstrates that it's sometimes tough for people to put it together and see their furniture and things in a home that isn't theirs. I think this is particularly true as buyers look over many properties and they start to collide in the ole memory bank!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:18 AM

656 posts, read 1,992,304 times
You have gotten a great deal of really good advice. We sold our home about 5 months ago in Wake Forest . We wrestled with the same thing about staging, etc. as we had bought another home that we had moved to in the general area. I think one of the most important things is to clean, declutter, clean, and then declutter some more. I had bold colors but they all flowed so well through the house leaving them made sense to me (and my realtor). I did not have wallpaper but if I did I would take the time and remove it.

We left our family room a bit staged with a couch and a chair just so someone could get a size dimention. I took all my art down ( I collect art and my realtor felt it would be too distracting to a potential buyer), touched up all the walls and cleaned some more.

Oddly, our home sold the day of our garage sale when it looked its worse. As people were carrying boxes of purchased items out of my house little did I know the buyers-to-be were walking in. I laugh now that for all the times my house was spotless the sale happened the day I didn't care how it looked.

Above all I think pricing your home correctly is the most important thing you can do as everything else really is individual opinion and choice.

Good luck on your sale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary