Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 AM

403 posts, read 930,215 times

Advertisements

I mean you're not going to get authentic Chicago deep dish in North Carolina, if that's what you were hoping for...this was a suggestion if you want to avoid chains like The Loop. You have to grade it on something of a curve IMO. Bocci did the best job of anyone I've tried here to date, maybe that's not saying much but I thought it was a decent attempt. Also the thickness was very close to Malnatti's...it's not the deepest dish. Not every deep dish has to be a complete gut buster. Uno or Giordano's are deeper dish (the latter being stuffed), but I prefer a pie where you can have more than one slice and Bocci succeeds with that. Eating Uno feels like I'm walking w/ a brick in my stomach for the rest of the night. Ever try getting NC BBQ outside of NC? It will say NC bbq--yet will have a sauce that is nothing like what you would get anywhere in NC. You take what you can get. As to the cooking time--ours took about 40-45 mins...maybe execution was off the night you went?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:18 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
I mean you're not going to get authentic Chicago deep dish in North Carolina, if that's what you were hoping for...this was a suggestion if you want to avoid chains like The Loop. You have to grade it on something of a curve IMO. Bocci did the best job of anyone I've tried here to date, maybe that's not saying much but I thought it was a decent attempt. Also the thickness was very close to Malnatti's...it's not the deepest dish. Not every deep dish has to be a complete gut buster. Uno or Giordano's are deeper dish (the latter being stuffed), but I prefer a pie where you can have more than one slice and Bocci succeeds with that. Eating Uno feels like I'm walking w/ a brick in my stomach for the rest of the night. Ever try getting NC BBQ outside of NC? It will say NC bbq--yet will have a sauce that is nothing like what you would get anywhere in NC. You take what you can get. As to the cooking time--ours took about 40-45 mins...maybe execution was off the night you went?
You called it "standard deep dish" and this is a deep dish pizza thread. I'm sorry I confused that with "authentic." Gut buster or not, I think at the very least a deep dish pizza should be cooked in a deep dish and resemble its namesake. The pizza was good but disappointing. We would go back but we would order a different kind of pie.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 AM

403 posts, read 930,215 times
^
Fair enough--I won't argue with your disappointment! I just wouldn't use what the pie was served on to indicate whether it was cooked "deep dish". I just view that as how it's being presented to the diner, not how it was prepared. That's a departure from how it's done in Chicago, but fine. I consider Malnatti's my favorite deep dish in Chicago. Many people will argue for one or another, but Malnatti's is highly thought of by many. There are varying degrees of deep dish but Malnatti's is what many Chicagoans would define as "standard" or solid deep dish pizza. In that vein, I stand by my assessment. This is pretty similar, IMO.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 AM

140 posts, read 1,654,511 times
I second Cinelli's and Pizzeria Uno. I locked my keys in my car once in the Harris Teeter parking lot and while waiting for the helper-guy, we had a deep dish pizza at Cinelli's. I really enjoyed it. Not as "deep" as Uno, but very tasty.

I've had Uno pizza in Chicago, and the stuff here is pretty much the same. Maybe Uno's is just not what some "real" Chicagoans would call good Chicago style deep dish.

But when we travelled to Chi-town, we were referred to either Uno's or Gino's by many folks. So go figure.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM

170 posts, read 1,014,704 times
Try Pizza Hut of Cary (High House/Cary Pkwy) Great deep Dish, but light, airy & crispy. Perfect size for 2 + child -i.e not very large.

I don't like Uno's Deep Dish, tried it at their DT Chicago location. Huge gut bomb & under cooked dough on the inner layers.

Armond's of Rockville MD is the best Deep Dish I've had, but that was 'back in the day' when they first opened a DIY pizza bar, then a take-out only location.

Can't comment on other local mentions.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
Just want to chime in here, as a native Chicagoian, you'll find that most pizza places there are thin crust. Deep dish is just at a few places, like those mentioned. Those of us who grew up there, grew up eating thin crust. Still, it's nothing like NY pizza, and in fact, when eating typical Chicago thin crust pizza, cut in squares, (except for the thickness of the crust) you'd think you were eating deep dish as the toppings are that "thick." Another defining factor is the sauce, usually there's a sweetness to it that's unmistakable. Not too much, but it's there. The closest I can find to the sauce flavor here is a frozen Home Run Inn pizza from the southside of Chicago. Too bad the crust never cooks too well. God, I miss my favorite neighborhood pizza place Palermo's!

Last edited by hula; 07-18-2008 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:12 AM

75 posts, read 227,409 times
Moonlight Pizza Company
615 W. Morgan Street
Raleigh, NC

Best I've had so far.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:47 PM

286 posts, read 994,494 times
This isnt really deep dish....but try ordering from Georgina's on Davis rd in Morrisville. Good selection of excellent pizzas and italian food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary