Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Mike:

Not what I was saying at all.

As I said, I don't fault folks for living in Cary. Everyone needs to make the choice of lifestyle that they want, and there's a lot that's great about Cary.

FWIW, my wife and I worked hard to get where we are, too. Two college educations, law and business degrees, a good income. And we live where we want to. Great! That's the American way. Heck, my wife and I are symbols of the macro-level problem ourselves in a "winner take all" economy where those with educations and good jobs do way disproportionately better than those without.

Still, do I think people don't think through the overarching issues of socioeconomic inequality in society? Sure, and I think we're in trouble as a nation if we don't. (Ask the middle class -- if you can find 'em.)

I don't see anything wrong with noting places with socioeconomic imbalance as an example of what I at least think is a broad national issue. And I think it's a good thing for folks choosing where they live to mull over, too, regardless of what choice they end up making about their home.

I digressed from the topic of Cary so let me get back on subject here. I visited Cary and it's not for me as I also think it's pretty bland and I don't like the way it's laid out. But I really like Chapel Hill instead, which many would argue is just as "privileged", if in a different way. I like the CH schools and I like the way the area is laid out. I've also been to Durham and like a lot of what I see there. What would keep me from buying a house there is my hesitation about the schools. There is a large variance in performance from school to school and I'm not so sure that DPS won't start redistricting in the future.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I feel the same way. One of these days I am going to make a post with pictures of houses from each of the core Triangle Communities (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) side by side from three different time periods. Post 2000, 1960-1980, and pre-1950 and ask people to guess which town each home pictured is from. Should be interesting to see the results!
What fun, NRG! I saw some photos on another thread some time ago, and the brick homes looked exactly like the 1950s-60s homes from down in Wilmington, and one in particular reminded me so much of my home until I got homesick for the NC coast -- but just briefly, as my husband and I both really like it here in the Triangle area.

I'd like to see you do such a thread, myself.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
. . . I visited Cary and it's not for me as I also think it's pretty bland and I don't like the way it's laid out. But I really like Chapel Hill instead, which many would argue is just as "privileged", if in a different way. I like the CH schools and I like the way the area is laid out. I've also been to Durham and like a lot of what I see there. What would keep me from buying a house there is my hesitation about the schools. There is a large variance in performance from school to school and I'm not so sure that DPS won't start redistricting in the future.
Fair and accurate observations, I think. You have made some good points, as well, about the schools as a 'cornerstone' in a community. I get tickled with the assessment of Cary as 'bland.' Perhaps I need to take off these rose-colored glasses of mine as I just don't see it -- that, and living in 'Beige City,' as it's called.

I do understand some complaints about the restrictions, but having moved here from an area of rapid growth with few, if any, restrictions, I'll live with these any day. I also understand the older, more established Caryites, and the old-timers, complaining about the rapid growth, but it is what happens when others recognize the pie in this sky tastes relatively good.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Yeah, I don't see the "blandness" in Cary anymore than any of the other suburban areas outside of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Or even the racial diversity issue. Diversity in CH is almost the same as Cary, and Apex and WF are even less diverse. I don't get why all of the stones are thrown at Cary when there are plenty of other areas in the Triangle that are just as "white bread", "bland", McMansion havens. The only reason CH even remotely has more diversity is because of a major university being there. If Cary had a major university, I suspect it would be a little more diverse too, but as it stands, CH is only 2% more diverse (less white) than Cary (as per the info on the city data page).

There is plenty of middle class housing here, I know because I LIVE in middle class in Cary and am surrounded by middle class housing and lower income homes on all sides. There are low income areas as well sprinkled throughout the town. Unless you live here, you're not going to see them or likely know where they are. Much of it is quietly nestled throughout the older neighborhoods. There is pro-rated housing for the working homeless two streets behind me and plenty of habitat homes.

I also know from going to town of Cary meetings that there is a push to build more affordable housing. One of the problems is not that there is a physical lack of affordable housing, but there is a lack of AVAILABLE affordable housing. Most people who move into them don't LEAVE. In fact when I moved from Raleigh to Cary a few years ago, this part of Cary was the only place in the entire Eastern side of the triangle where I could find a SF home for less than $150K and still be in a great school district. The affordable housing is why we ended up here!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Great post, lamishra. The demographics of a typical Cary subdivision are not very different from similar neighborhoods (in terms of size of homes) in N. Raleigh, S. Durham, etc.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
lamishra - I am curious - this push for more affordable housing, who is it coming from?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
My previous post about missing the "old" Cary is really more about the quaintness and knowing about everyone in my peer group. It was a small town atmosphere and now that is long gone.
I am a capitalist and completely understand why Cary is the way it is. I just miss what it was for personal reasons. Like it or not, the majority of the "disadvantaged" are that way due to lack of ambition and/or poor choices in life. Everyone has disadvantages, but not everyone is willing to do the work to overcome them. You reap what you sow, but I have a feeling that a few members posting on this topic would take to the grasshoppers defense in the ant vs grasshopper fable.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
BCR,
I know that is not (precisely) what you meant. It was fun turning your post on its head. That's why the big old .
On the other hand, I think your composition was a somewhat demeaning back of the hand to Cary residents. I would propose the higher incomes in Cary provide a much higher net revenue to local, state, and federal coffers than those in some other Triangle municipalities.

Education is not the only "key" to personal economic advancement. Actually, Education is really only a "factor."
Setting and consistently pursuing GOALS is the key to advancement. Goals and persistence are a personal decision.
Education is readily available for those who find a way to gain it, without letting excuses and short-term gratification distract them.

Without the personal desire to attain the education, and the willingness to make the short-term sacrifices to get the education, you would not have that factor in your favor. But, you made a decision to set and attain that goal.

Sounds to me like FunkyChicken is educated. More power to him.
It may not be the only "key" but it sure is the main factor.

The fact is if you are educated and in a top income bracket this doesn't mean you should be bashed for living with other educated people in a nice area. The guy who has a masters in engineering most likely isn't going to have that much in common with the guy who is a construction worker. Everyone on here of course knows nice people that either more/less educated or wealthy. However if you are making 150k and instead of 50k you likely aren't living in the same area.

If you live in a 500k house in Durham or a 500k one in Cary you really aren't much different. Just because 15 miles from you there more diverse or low income areas doesn't mean you aren't living the same lifestyle.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Well, the reason we're specifically talking about Cary here is because that was what the original poster posted....I don't think anybody's excluding the other communities from this discussion (it IS really homogenous) - but the first poster wanted to discuss Cary.

I feel the exact same way about many if not most of the other communities as well but I'm really picky about where I want to live (various areas in Durham...Hillsborough...northern Chapel Hill...Carrboro).

Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeNYkr View Post
Containment
Area for
Relocated
Yankees

Actually I lived in Cary for 18 mos after moving here from California, but just bought a beautiful house in Durham's SouthPoint area, and I LOVE IT HERE! Though Cary was good too us it was a bit boring and too "white bread" for me. I love that it's quiet, clean, and beautiful, but I'm alive! I want to see people. I like to talk to people when I step out side of my door. In Cary you never see people out in the street unless you're at the mall. ..and even then people just pass you by. Since moving to Durham in June I've seen more flowers, beautiful gardens, friendly faces, cycles & bikers, and young adults then anywhere in the Triangle area.
...as for, "bar hopping" I'm in my 50s and I go out for wine and Jazz all the time.
I was surprised about your comment about not seeing people out and about in Cary. I live in an area which allows me to walk to many different stores, restaurants etc. DH and I walk almost nightly and Stone Creek is abuzz with people, many sitting outside the coffee or ice cream shops enjoying something cold! For the most part, people have been friendly, striking up conversations. Many of our neighbors walk around the neighborhood in the evening, often stopping to chat. This is so different than my old neighborhood in RI...one of the many reasons we are so happy here. Glad you're loving it by Southpoint - it's a great area and I'm there often to shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary