Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:59 PM

23 posts, read 94,236 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned that you don't have to take the vision test if you have a license from another state. Can anyone confirm that? I failed my vision test in SC but I got a letter from my Opthamologist saying my vision was above the minimum requirements to get the license. Does anyone know if this will work in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisBoy View Post
Someone mentioned that you don't have to take the vision test if you have a license from another state. Can anyone confirm that? I failed my vision test in SC but I got a letter from my Opthamologist saying my vision was above the minimum requirements to get the license. Does anyone know if this will work in NC?
I moved from Michigan and had to take the vision test.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
Thumbs up Passed License Test on first try

I passed, yay...I was so happy, but after driving for 17 years I would have hoped that I passed, I only missed 1 question. I could not believe how long the process was though, to actually wait around, get called, take the vision and sign test, than the computer test, than wait for a photo, get your license than drive to another building to register the car, then go to the car dealer to have the car inspected...what an ordeal...not complaining, I just couldn't believe the process here. but I am glad its done and over. I am very happy that I was able to accomplish this all in one afternoon. I took half day from work and did all of this. All of you that are relocating, or have relocated, just read the manual and study the signs and you will do fine. I relocated in November from Long Island. I am loving the area so far, and I love this forum. I am reading and reading all these posts, finding a lot of valuable information. Thanks NC!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 AM

27 posts, read 89,374 times
Default new driver license

What do they make you take a test. Ibeen driving truck for years in ny .they just don't transfer your license from another state

Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
I went to the driver's license office in Fuquay (next to the library). The wait was only about 15 minutes. The tests there are still given with pencil and paper, no computers yet. When we registered our vehicles, it ended up costing around $600 once it was all said and done. That makes up for how much less we pay in property taxes on our house. They always get you in some way!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 PM

137 posts, read 607,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateal View Post
What do they make you take a test. Ibeen driving truck for years in ny .they just don't transfer your license from another state
I don't know what the rules are that govern a CDL or anything beyond a standard operator's license. When you transfer your old license to a NC-issued driver's license, you have to pass a vision test and written test. Same for receiving your motorcycle endorsement on your license.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 PM

110 posts, read 438,805 times
Please tell me people don't drive in NC like they do here!!

Driving in Miami 101

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Miami driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled in by somebody else, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will result in you being rear-ended.

5. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork, especially someone from Florida or Georgia. With no- fault insurance the other guy doesn't have anything to lose.

6. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

7. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to prepare for people entering the highway.

8. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a suggestion and are apparently not enforceable in any County during rush hour.

9. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Miami driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.

10. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. This is seen as a sign of respect for the victim.

11. Learn to swerve abruptly. Florida is the home of high-speed slalom driving.
>?
12. It is traditional in Miami to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light turns green.

13. Remember that the goal of every Miami driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary.

14. In Miami, 'flipping someone the bird' is considered a polite salute. This gesture should always be returned.

THANK YOU & HAVE A SAFE JOURNEY

Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.pal View Post
Driving in Miami 101
Sounds like Los Angeles. LOL. Based on my experience here in NC, however, I've only seen a hint of only a couple of things on your list. Just got caught in a crowd of rubber neckers and there were many people heading south on the 40 driving on the right hand shoulder to get to the 147 south (I guess that they really needed that extra 20 seconds).

Tailgating, unfortunately, is a real pain is the **** here! Fortunately, I've had experience with tailgators and after a few seconds of tailgating me, well, let's just say that I'm sure they'll think twice about the next time.

Otherwise, my stress levels during driving have decreased dramatically!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
haha I am laughing, it sounds like you're describing Long Island, not Miami. That's how they drive there, it was crazy, my driving anxiety has gone way down since living here in NC...the only thing I see here in NC is that hardly anyone uses their signals to change lanes, make turns, etc...but if that's the worse, I'll take it...other than that...driving has been a pleasure here

Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM

110 posts, read 438,805 times
I'm glad my driving stress will decrease a little. Everytime I get in may car here, I'm glad I have a will just incase I don't make it to my destination!! There are times I want to put 2 seatbelts on the baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary