Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 19,776 times

Advertisements

How "safe" an area feels is relative. I've lived here a long time and there are some areas I won't drive around alone at night. No, they are not as bad as Detriot, St. Louis, and other bigger cities, but they do seem unsafe to some people. My mother-in-law from Taylorsville thinks Raleigh is dangerous.

I think it really depends where you're from and what your past experiences and comfort levels are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
I wouldn't advise taking foot strolls through any however...
Pot.....meet kettle.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh_native View Post
How "safe" an area feels is relative. I've lived here a long time and there are some areas I won't drive around alone at night. No, they are not as bad as Detriot, St. Louis, and other bigger cities, but they do seem unsafe to some people. My mother-in-law from Taylorsville thinks Raleigh is dangerous.

I think it really depends where you're from and what your past experiences and comfort levels are.

That is the case with so many of the discussions on this board--one person says "Area X is [adjective]" and immediately is flooded with "Oh, it's NOTHING compared to Washington, NYC, Atlanta, etc" which is beside the point--we're not talking about those places, we're talking about HERE.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM

286 posts, read 994,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandOnian View Post
Raleigh is such a safe place, it's not even funny...That is unless you're driving on the beltline or I-40 in a rainstorm (people in this city don't know how to drive, and there are always a few sketchy spinouts every time it rains, and people just leave there cars in the middle of the highway because they are stupid).

You want to have a good laugh? Go to The Bronx, or Detroit, then go to Raleigh's worst "ghetto" and compare them. I just moved to Raleigh from NYC and I haven't seen a bad area since I've been here. Such a safe city.

Don't listen to the overly-conservative and sheltered people on this board.

I think that's a bit harsh to call people all the people on here "sheltered." Raleigh in general may be quite safe for a city of it's size but that doesnt mean there arent dangerous areas. I am not sheltered. Born and raised in Flint Michigan, consistently rated in the top 5 most dangerous cities. Raleigh has areas that are just as dangerous as flint. The difference is that Flint has way more of them. Doesnt mean you need to be walking down any and every street in raleigh at 3am

Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Being safe and feeling safe are two different things!

As a female, there aren't too many areas downtown that I'd feel safe, strolling alone on any night!

I'm not sure I'd feel safe walking alone on a deserted street in Cary at night!

However, the reality is that there are some areas of Raleigh and Cary that are less safe than others.

I have a client that is currently living in "Grandma's house" while her new house in being built. Grandma's house in on Rock Quarry Road. My client has told me many times that there is at least one person shot on a Saturday night. She has been woken up at 3AM, 4AM, with people knocking on her door (which she doesn't answer). She hears police sirens at all hours of the day and night.

Compared to NY, it may be safer but would I want to walk alone on Rock Quarry Road, at night? NOPE.

Vicki

Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
I think that's a bit harsh to call people all the people on here "sheltered." Raleigh in general may be quite safe for a city of it's size but that doesnt mean there arent dangerous areas. I am not sheltered. Born and raised in Flint Michigan, consistently rated in the top 5 most dangerous cities. Raleigh has areas that are just as dangerous as flint. The difference is that Flint has way more of them. Doesnt mean you need to be walking down any and every street in raleigh at 3am
You're right. You're asking to get robbed if you're walking down between the intersection of Blunt and Bragg st at 3am. It's a very dangerous area, but not dangerous enough for you to not drive through. Some areas in Raleigh look like hell to me I must admit...

Old 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Being safe and feeling safe are two different things!

As a female, there aren't too many areas downtown that I'd feel safe, strolling alone on any night!

I'm not sure I'd feel safe walking alone on a deserted street in Cary at night!

However, the reality is that there are some areas of Raleigh and Cary that are less safe than others.

I have a client that is currently living in "Grandma's house" while her new house in being built. Grandma's house in on Rock Quarry Road. My client has told me many times that there is at least one person shot on a Saturday night. She has been woken up at 3AM, 4AM, with people knocking on her door (which she doesn't answer). She hears police sirens at all hours of the day and night.

Compared to NY, it may be safer but would I want to walk alone on Rock Quarry Road, at night? NOPE.

Vicki
No one should be walking around any large city like Raleigh late at night by themselves if you ask me. It's common sense. It does not matter what part of town you're in.

You're client is just exaggerating. I doubt their is someone being shot every single Saturday night. I live right here in the heart of Downtown across from the Palladium, most of the Sirens I hear are not because of people being shot.

Rock Quarry road is a looooong road. You need to be more specific on what area you're talking about, otherwise just like everything else those not in the know will think every place off Rock Quarry is Skid Row. Rock Quarry stretches from the DT area all the way out into rural areas of Wake County...

Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM

51 posts, read 193,385 times
Thank you all for your passionate input!! Just to be on the safe side I've written down the streets you all have suggested, and I'll ere on the side of caution and spend my time in other areas

It seems like you've given me some areas outside of the downtown downtown area..
How about the area of "downtown center of Raleigh"?
(I am currently living in suburb south of Boston.. obviously there are certain areas that are more safe than others to walk around in and go for dinner, etc..) I'm assuming the same applies for Raleigh? If we were to go into the city to check things out, eat, etc.. any specific areas to stay away from (mainly at night?)?

And on a lighter more positive note, anything we should definitely check out in the Raleigh area? What would be some good places (either stores, restaurants, etc) to get the best "vibe" of the area? Where do you find yourselves most often going?

Thanks so much, I appreciate your enthusiastic responses!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2005 View Post
Thank you all for your passionate input!! Just to be on the safe side I've written down the streets you all have suggested, and I'll ere on the side of caution and spend my time in other areas

It seems like you've given me some areas outside of the downtown downtown area..
How about the area of "downtown center of Raleigh"?
(I am currently living in suburb south of Boston.. obviously there are certain areas that are more safe than others to walk around in and go for dinner, etc..) I'm assuming the same applies for Raleigh? If we were to go into the city to check things out, eat, etc.. any specific areas to stay away from (mainly at night?)?

And on a lighter more positive note, anything we should definitely check out in the Raleigh area? What would be some good places (either stores, restaurants, etc) to get the best "vibe" of the area? Where do you find yourselves most often going?

Thanks so much, I appreciate your enthusiastic responses!
Downtown is one of the safest areas of the city, just a lot of harmless panhandlers though. Make sure to hit up Glenwood South and the Warehouse District at night on the weekend for a good time.

Don't worry so much about your safety. Once you are here, you we'll easily see that Raleigh is pretty easy going. Use common sense. That applies to any locale.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:08 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2005 View Post
Hello! I'll be visiting the Raleigh area for the first time next week..
Any areas/streets that you suggest staying away from due to high crime, etc?

Thanks!

I know you are asking about Raleigh, but living in Cary and looking at both Durham and Raleigh, I have to think there is more violence in Durham. We have gotten spoiled in Cary. Low crime and very few homicides have lulled us into a feeling of false safety. I like to think I can come home and walk my dog regardless of the time, but I sure wouldn’t want my wife to do it alone.
I have the advantage of being big, and looking harder than I really am. I think most would not bother me in Cary, but I would think hard about walking late at night in Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary